seadog

SAS links not working

Opened SAS Pro & tried "what's running on your computer" link & nothing happened. Went to products tab & tried both links there, nothing happened. Tried reboot no joy.

Everything else seems to be ok. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, I'm new to the forums (so don't know your post history/experience etc,) but the links work fine for me.

How's the firewall configured? That's likely to be the first thing stopping SAS accessing the web.

Nothing has changed with firewall settings since the last time the links worked. SAS updates just fine also. Most likely something else. Thanks for the input. I might have to do a clean reinstall of SAS.

Did a clean reinstall of SAS....still no joy. If anybody has an idea please share. Thanks

What version are you using?

The one I'm having no trouble with is 3.1.1016.

If you paste this link to your browser, or click on it, does it work? http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/whatsrunningpre.html?tag=SUPERANTISPYWARE&trial=no&activated=no&appid={450A3AB0-FC65-46EC-8D07-D0E0111948E1}

EDIT sorry, can't get the URL to display correctly as a link. Try copy/paste.

Hello: 3.1 is an old version, update from our website, current is 3.6, If you continue to have a problem, submit a CSR ticket, :) Best, P

My current version 3.5.1016.

A typo, sorry.

Will update, but this one is causing me no problems at all.

I'm running IE7 and have the www.fileresearchcenter.com URL in my Trusted Sites. Even this will not permit this feature to work on my system.

My conclusion is that this feature requires the security level in IE7 to be lowered. Whereas "Trusted Sites" allows a lot of latitude, I feel that there is an "unsecure" download or requirement that should NOT be part of this SAS feature...perhaps in the script that is required. IE7 Trusted Site settings are trapping/blocking it even at IE7 default settings.

I'm running IE7 and have the www.fileresearchcenter.com URL in my Trusted Sites. Even this will not permit this feature to work on my system.

My conclusion is that this feature requires the security level in IE7 to be lowered. Whereas "Trusted Sites" allows a lot of latitude, I feel that there is an "unsecure" download or requirement that should NOT be part of this SAS feature...perhaps in the script that is required. IE7 Trusted Site settings are trapping/blocking it even at IE7 default settings.

Unfortunately the FileResearchCenter.com plugin can't work if the scripts are blocked or the security level is set such that our ActiveX can't be installed - of course everything on our sites are secure and safe and can be trusted - but is a personal choice of each user.

it is worse, in my case.. when i click the links, i get an error-message indicating that IE is crashing, even though IE is not actually open, at least not where i can see it, though maybe SAS had tried to launch IE when i clicked the links.. after that initial "crash", if i try to open either IE or "explorer", i just get repeated crashes, until i reboot my computer..

if i click the links while IE is open, there is no problem, but if i click the various links while IE is closed, then i get the crashing..

i have saved the crash-dump files, but i am not aware of any way of submitting them to SAS (if they care to look at them)..

considering that the links work fine if they are clicked while IE is open, i think that the SAS program needs to be programmed to where it will properly open IE if IE is closed when the links are clicked, which would solve the problem that i am experiencing..

on the other hand, i would actually prefer it if all of those links were removed from the menu that pops up when you click the SAS-icon in the systray, and from the SAS program's main GUI, including the one that comes up when you are running the updater, but especially the ones in the menu that pops up when you click the SAS-icon in the systray, for aesthetics.. i would like for there to be just a plain, simple, non-cluttered menu, there.. speaking of which, what do others think about SAS's menu, the one that pops up from the SAS-icon in the systray?

it is worse, in my case.. when i click the links, i get an error-message indicating that IE is crashing, even though IE is not actually open, at least not where i can see it..maybe SAS had tried to launch IE when i clicked the links.. after that initial "crash", if i try to open either IE or "explorer", i just get repeated crashes, until i reboot my computer..

if i click the links while IE is open, there is no problem, but if i click the various links while IE is closed, then i get the crashing..

i have saved the crash-dump files, but i am not aware of any way of submitting them to SAS (if they care to look at them)..

considering that the links work fine if they are click while IE is open, i think that the SAS program needs to be programmed to where it will properly open IE when the links are clicked while IE is closed, which would solve the problem that i am experiencing..

Something on your system is obviously conflicting as you are having all sorts of problems that no one else is having. My guess would either be your firewall or other security software.

Something on your system is obviously conflicting as you are having all sorts of problems that no one else is having

let's focus on the problem at hand, a problem with the links that are used within the SAS program..

in one of your posts, you said "make sure you don't have another security product that is blocking ActiveX and/or scripts.".. well, i do use "high" security settings in IE's "internet zone", if that is what you mean.. however, i can click links that are used within other programs that i use and they will open IE without any problem.. i think that you could make the links that are used with the SAS program to work the same way, where they will still open IE even when one is not using low security settings..

it should not be the case where we have to use low security settings, allowing scripting and activex controls, in IE, in order for those links to work..

besides using "high" security-settngs in IE, i don't have anything else blocking "activex and/or scripting", except that i do use "spywareblaster", and "spybot S&D", which also has some "immunization", but spybot is not running in realtime..

i am running win xpsp2, kerio 2.15, antivir, SAS (3.6), "regdefend", and BOClean..

Something on your system is obviously conflicting as you are having all sorts of problems that no one else is having

let's focus on the problem at hand, a problem with the links that are used within the SAS program..

in one of your posts, you said "make sure you don't have another security product that is blocking ActiveX and/or scripts.".. well, i do use "high" security settings in IE's "internet zone", if that is what you mean.. however, i can click links that are used within other programs that i use and they will open IE without any problem.. i think that you could make the links that are used with the SAS program to work the same way, where they will still open IE even when one is not using low security settings..

it should not be the case where we have to use low security settings, allowing scripting and activex controls, in IE, in order for those links to work..

besides using "high" security-settngs in IE, i don't have anything else blocking "activex and/or scripting", except that i do use "spywareblaster", and "spybot S&D", which also has some "immunization", but spybot is not running in realtime..

i am running win xpsp2, kerio 2.15, antivir, SAS (3.6), "regdefend", and BOClean..

I am not sure what to tell you - you are running Kerio, AntiVir, RegDefend and BOClean any of those could be blocking the URL's from launching in the product - in several million downloads of our product, we have not had this report before, so again, something on your system must be blocking our product from launching the browser links - I would suggest disabling all other security products as a test and then see if it works, then bring them back in one by one to find out what is causing the problem.

You are describing several different issues, and co-mingling the issues - you say you had problems with the What's Running (FileResearchCenter) and clicking links from within SAS, and that you had problems with the installer - all of which are only reproducable on your system - so again, my suggestion is to disable the other applications and try and determine what is not behaving properly.