Mediaman

SUPERAntiSpyware problem afer today's Windows Update

Today after installing the latest Windows updates on XP and rebooting, my computer became inoperable once the SUPERAntiSpyware program splash screen appeared. Everything pretty much froze apart from the mouse cursor. Uninstalling updates KB2482017 and KB2476687 did seem to resolve the issue. However, I decided to uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware and reinstall the updates. PC was running fine again until I reinstalled SUPERAntiSpyware after which problem reoccurred. I've removed it again and will wait to see if anyone knows what the conflict is and whether it can be resolved.

Today after installing the latest Windows updates on XP and rebooting, my computer became inoperable once the SUPERAntiSpyware program splash screen appeared. Everything pretty much froze apart from the mouse cursor. Uninstalling updates KB2482017 and KB2476687 did seem to resolve the issue. However, I decided to uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware and reinstall the updates. PC was running fine again until I reinstalled SUPERAntiSpyware after which problem reoccurred. I've removed it again and will wait to see if anyone knows what the conflict is and whether it can be resolved.

We have had no other reports of such an issue - what other security software are you running? What numeric version of SUPERAntiSpyware are you running?

Microsoft has confirmed that a recent security update (KB977165) may be causing restart issues for some Windows XP users.

This update is no longer being issued through Windows Update, and Microsoft is investigating the root cause of these problems.

If you believe you are experiencing problems due to this patch, a solution is offered here.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/73cea559-ebbd-4274-96bc-e292b69f2fd1

From Windows forum - Most other M/soft updates have been patched now -

This update could cause BSOD according to the topic -

Regards -

EDIT -

One description and another solution by Patrick W Barnes -

We have had no other reports of such an issue - what other security software are you running? What numeric version of SUPERAntiSpyware are you running?

I'm using free version 4.48.0.1000 (the latest). I also use Avast and Zone Alarm with which I have had no problems at all using with SUPERAntiSpywhere.

After much more testing I've resolved the issue. It is not SUPERAntiSpyware at all that is causing the problem but some other application. I've now disabled all startup programs and adding them back one by one, oh joy!

I am running 4.48.1000. Last night and today, when I ran definition update, I rec'd the following message: SuperAntiSpyware Definition Update has

stopped working. However, when I check the update info it stated that definition were updated on 2/10 as well as 2/11 at time I ran update this AM. I am running WIN7.

I just ran a scan with no problem!

Edited by shalako

I am running 4.48.1000. Last night and today, when I ran definition update, I rec'd the following message: SuperAntiSpyware Definition Update has

stopped working. However, when I check the update info it stated that definition were updated on 2/10 as well as 2/11 at time I ran update this AM. I am running WIN7.

I just ran a scan with no problem!

The update was with microsoft; but they have corrected the issue. All is well!

Great! And thank you and I look forward to being on this forum in the future!

the issue has not been corrected yet by Microsoft- they just pulled the update kb977165 that was causing the issue which seems to come from a underlining rootkit on their computers

Not everyone got it. Since I use superantispyware Pro on all my client and my machines (which are around 100 give or take) and run scans frequently none of my clients had this issue

you can read it here

http://redmondmag.com/articles/2010/02/18/windows-kernel-patch-hobbled-by-malware.aspx

robin