Sign in to follow this  
weft3663

SAS Has Stopped Working

1. Go to the link below and download the SuperAntispyware Uninstaller Assistant. Save it on your desktop.

https://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/1344-superantispyware-uninstallation-assistant/

2. Shut down SAS

3. Run the Superantispyware Uninstaller Assistant and uninstall SAS. A reboot is required at the end of the uninstall.

4. Go to the link below, download and install SAS V4.48.1000 free or professional if you have a license.

https://www.superantispyware.com

5. Set up your preferences

6. Run the updater to obtain the latest definitions

7. Run a Complete scan of your system.

1. Go to the link below and download the SuperAntispyware Uninstaller Assistant. Save it on your desktop.

https://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/1344-superantispyware-uninstallation-assistant/

2. Shut down SAS

3. Run the Superantispyware Uninstaller Assistant and uninstall SAS. A reboot is required at the end of the uninstall.

4. Go to the link below, download and install SAS V4.48.1000 free or professional if you have a license.

https://www.superantispyware.com

5. Set up your preferences

6. Run the updater to obtain the latest definitions

7. Run a Complete scan of your system.

Thank you for your quick and informative reply.

Edit: Have downloaded the Uninstaller but note that my SAS is working again. Should I still proceed with the uninstallation and re-downloading?

Edit 2: SAS stopped working again tonight so carried out your instructions to the full. Thank you once again for your help.

SAS stops working daily now and I am having to uninstall and reinstall daily too. Have asked Tech support for a solution and will see what happens. One thing's for sure, this state of affairs can't go on. :(

SAS stops working daily now and I am having to uninstall and reinstall daily too. Have asked Tech support for a solution and will see what happens. One thing's for sure, this state of affairs can't go on. :(

At what point does SAS "stop" working? What are you having the program do at that moment? What is your CSR number so I may personally take a look into the situation?

At what point does SAS "stop" working?.................... Hi sean. As far as i can tell, I can be doing anything on the computer when a window pops up to tell me the SAS has stopped working. I have no idea how long it stops working for and I simply close down to avoid problems.

What are you having the program do at that moment...........Whatever it does after installing. It simply runs after download and I do not make alterations, if, that is, alterations can be made.

What is your CSR number ?????????????????????

Not sure what my CSR number means Sean, and if it refers to my Registration number would it be safe to show it here?

Have downloaded version 5 via your e-mail response link and now cant launch the programme. When I double click on the desktop, nothing happens. Therefore, I cannot carry out the required scan.

1 Eventually got the programme to run and carry out a complete scan by right clicking on the 'beetle' down beside the clock.

2 Got this reply from support:

"Please try opening the software in safe mode and run a complete scan"

and really have no idea how to do this.Can anyone help please?

1 Eventually got the programme to run and carry out a complete scan by right clicking on the 'beetle' down beside the clock.

2 Got this reply from support:

"Please try opening the software in safe mode and run a complete scan"

and really have no idea how to do this.Can anyone help please?

In the drop-down list of the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.

As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8.

On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when the boot menu appears.

Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.

Managed to run the programme in safe mode and as I have informed Support, the scan returned 0 items in memory, 0 in registry, and 10 cookies in the last field. All of these were I believe, deleted before the necessary rebooting after scanning.

Sounds like a PEBKAC or an ID107 error to me !!! LOL

weft3663 When you run SAS it doesn't open a window as you think. What superantispyware.exe does is run a tray icon you can click on to open the user interface. This is the "beetle" you refer to and that area of the task bar is called the tray. When you have been running it in normal mode when you double clicked it to run it (do you not have it set to start with windows for tray interface as this is the default) it simply shows up in the tray next to the clock as the beetle. You double click this beetle to open the user interface. As a user of the software I'm surprised you don't seem to understand how to even open the application.

As for your daily reinstalls... Please explain and/or forward error logs as to determine the problem. Also do you have any firewall/HIPS running that could possibly be causing the issue? Recently I experience a memory leak using real-time on XP SP3. The version was 4.50.1000

To determine if it's a memory leak CTRL-ALT-DEL to task manager. The click Processes tab. The click view in the edit menu then "select columns". The check "page faults". Look to see what sascore and superantispyware.exe is using and if the page fault memory increases. I found leak in superantispyware.exe would leak until the pagefile was overloaded and mem space used up. Really bad leak too!

I did manage to cure it on the XP SP3 machine though. What I did was uninstall SAS using their removal tool. Reboot. Set page file to zero/ no page file. Reboot. Then I deleted old page file. Then I re-enabled the page file. Rebooted... Then I installed SAS 4.51.1000 and enabled real-time protection. 4 days later no huge pagefault increase/memory leak.

PS Considering the leak and the issues/state of recent late 4.x builds I can't help but wonder if the 4.x codebase is being abandoned/less debug work etc for obvious reasons considering 5.x is pending release... just a thought...

Have downloaded version 5 via your e-mail response link and now cant launch the programme. When I double click on the desktop, nothing happens. Therefore, I cannot carry out the required scan.

Remember the "beetle" in the tray area... double click it to open UI.

PS When SAS first starts it can lag with regard to the tray interface during initial load. Wait 20 seconds then double click tray icon.

Sounds like a PEBKAC or an ID107 error to me !!! LOL[b]................I have been using SAS Pro for about 2 years now updating and running scans weekly. Normally, I click on the icon on the desktop, the SAS window appears, I update, then run a scan. If that makes me an idiot, so be it.[/b]

weft3663 When you run SAS it doesn't open a window as you think...............I have just clicked on the icon and the SAS Pro 'Window' has appeared and if it looks like a window and behaves like a window.............

As a user of the software I'm surprised you don't seem to understand how to even open the application..............I have never ever had a problem updating and scanning with the Pro version or the free one before it and as stated above, always gained access via the desktop icon. There are many, many, thousands who, like me, have no idea about the advanced use of SAS, Avast and so on, but still manage to update and scan when they want to.

I cannot reply to the remainder of your post because quite frankly, it is, at this time, beyond my computer understanding.The reason for this may be that, as you suggest, I am a PEBKAC, or it may indeed be an ID107 error. I thought that it was because that I am, like thousands, if not millions, still computer illiterate. Have a nice Easter.