Sign in to follow this  
dumastro

Free Download Manager

To avoid redownloading from the beginning when the connection is lost during a download for some reason I always use Free Download Manager and also to have a copy of the file on disk. I tried to use FDM to manually download SAS updates but the download stops every time when the 93% mark is reached.

In the case of IE8 I found by not "allow"ing FDM to download the file Vista(?) takes over, offering then the options to "Run" or "Save" the file. I then have it saved to the desktop and install it manually afterwards. It seems that if it is not saved to the desktop I sometimes have problems installing it afterwards. This method though also does not avoid the problem of redownloading from scratch if the connection is lost during the download operation.

In the case of Google Chrome, if I choose not to "allow" the download with FDM I am not given the options to "Run" or "Save" either. The next screen does inform me though that the file download has been transferred to FDM although it is not done at all. Thus nothing happens.

I prefer to use GC but this problem forces me to use IE. Is there a possibility you can rectify the 93% problem that FDM encounters with downloading from https://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SASDEFINITIONS.EXE?

To avoid redownloading from the beginning when the connection is lost during a download for some reason I always use Free Download Manager and also to have a copy of the file on disk. I tried to use FDM to manually download SAS updates but the download stops every time when the 93% mark is reached.

In the case of IE8 I found by not "allow"ing FDM to download the file Vista(?) takes over, offering then the options to "Run" or "Save" the file. I then have it saved to the desktop and install it manually afterwards. It seems that if it is not saved to the desktop I sometimes have problems installing it afterwards. This method though also does not avoid the problem of redownloading from scratch if the connection is lost during the download operation.

In the case of Google Chrome, if I choose not to "allow" the download with FDM I am not given the options to "Run" or "Save" either. The next screen does inform me though that the file download has been transferred to FDM although it is not done at all. Thus nothing happens.

I prefer to use GC but this problem forces me to use IE. Is there a possibility you can rectify the 93% problem that FDM encounters with downloading from https://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SASDEFINITIONS.EXE?

Please exit out of any download manager,then try the download again. Also; have you tried using the definition updater within SUPERAntiSpyware?

Please exit out of any download manager,then try the download again. Also; have you tried using the definition updater within SUPERAntiSpyware?

My problem is that I don't want to use the definition updater in SAS because updates are downloaded and installed automatically - without retaining a copy of the file afterwards and without the surety that I won't have to start the update process from scratch should the connection to the SAS site be lost before completion of the download. This is why I prefer to use Free Download Manager. Also because IE freezes all the time I also prefer to use Google Chrome.

1. The "Check for Updates" button in "Spyware Definition Updates" on the SAS main menu also downloads and installs automatically.

2. The "Check for Updates Now" button in "Preferences" button/"Updates" tab/ does exactly the same unless of course "Continue what I was doing and Download Later" is selected.

3. The only other option is the "Visit SUPERAntiSpyware.com" link in "Preferences" button/"Help" tab/ which brings you to the "https://www.superantispyware.com/?tag=SUPERANTISPYWARE" page.

4. Selecting "Click here for Information" on the right hand side of the page, under the "Definition Database" heading, brings up the "https://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html" page and selecting "Download Installer" (Manually download core definitions) then results:

a. if "Allow"ed is selected both IE and Google Chrome passes the download to FDM but then only 93% gets downloaded every time.

b. If "Don't allow" is selected -

i. as said at first in the case of IE8 "...Vista(?) takes over, offering then the options to "Run" or "Save" the file. I then have it saved to the desktop and install it manually afterwards. It seems that if it is not saved to the desktop I sometimes have problems installing it afterwards. This method though also does not avoid the problem of redownloading from scratch if the connection is lost during the download operation.

ii. as also said at first in the case of Google Chrome "..I am not given the options to "Run" or "Save" either. The next screen does inform me though that the file download has been transferred to FDM although it is not done at all. Thus nothing happens."

Right clicking on "Download Installer" in IE8 and then selecting "Download with Free Download Manager" still only reach 93%.

Right clicking in Google Chrome only offer the option to "Copy link address" which, if pasted to FDM, also only reach 93%.

My wish is to have Google Chrome, FDM and SUPERAntiSpyware work together.

Dumastro,

1) Downloading the definitions through the product is the recommended and most thoroughly supported option

2) The stand-alone installer is provided as a convenience to those who have a non-working or unreliable/broken internet connection

3) We, at this time do not have reports of conflicts with download managers; though, the information will be forwarded to the developers for testing purposes

4) We also recommend you contact the FDM Customer service with the discrepancy you've observed, they should be able to reproduce it if the error is not do to your internet connection.

@ Dumastro,

I just downloaded the Definitions Installer with FDM (v. 3.0.871) via IE 8 and then Comodo Dragon (very similar to Google Chrome) without any problem. It would appear you have more of a connection issue than anything else, but if you'd like you can post it on the FDM forums and we'll try to help (guest posts are allowed).

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/board/viewforum.php?f=1

I used to get the updates to SAS as described above by dumastro because I'm on dial-up and I might otherwise lose what had already been downloaded if the connection was dropped for any reason. I can't remember when or why I changed, but these days I use the updater in the program. It's rare that I lose a partial download* as my connection, although slow, is usually stable. All the same, it's tiresome to have to download updates twice as there are 2 user accounts on this PC.

*This usually happens because I've forgotten that the connection will be dropped automatically by the ISP at the end of the time allowed! :oops:

As far as Free Download Manager is concerned, I've been using it for some time now and I've never had any trouble with it. I used it when to get SAS updates in the past and it was fine. FDM opens whenever I download anything, regardless of which browser I'm using - mostly Firefox, but I use IE 8 and Google Chrome and a couple of others sometimes too. I've got it set so that my AV program scans downloaded files on completion of the download. I'm using an old version of FDM as it does all I need it to do and I see no reason to get a later version.

I hope you're able to get your problem sorted dumastro.