tamtammagique

12 Hour Scan?? And it's not over...

Hello to all,

I am trying to fix my Mom's computer which seems to be under attack by many nasty things. A lot has been deleted by Superantispyware and Malware Bytes, run both in safe and normal modes. But a lot remains! For example, the current scan (EXTREMELY long, now going on 12 hrs) shows AdWare.Tracking Cookies (37), MalWare.Trace (1), Trojan.Agent/Gen-IEFake (10), and Trojan.Agent/Gen-IExplore[Fake] (5). IE explorer windows for cheeky websites and fake antivirus alerts are popping up like crazy, I just ignore them and let your program do its thing...But just wanted to ask, if anyone is out there...is this normal or should I stop it and try my other ideas (hijackthis and tdsskiller) Crossing my fingers that i'll get an answer, and thanks! tam tam magique

Hello Tam Tam,

I am in no professional position to help you with your problem, but I'll give your situation a few words. My best guess would be that the amount of processes being run by the nasties you have on your computer is not letting SUPERAntiSpyware have enough CPU to scan fast enough (Ex: all the IE tabs opening). Thus the long 12 hour+ scan! If you are still running SAS and you are near completion I would let it continue to run and finish, or if not just cancel and clean the infections it found. However, if you are having to repeatedly scan and remove things, that could be a sign that you are being reinfected either by the nasties or separate personal downloads or browsing the internet.

Unless someone qualified to remove malware steps forward here, you might need to seek some specified help. I suggest the free to use website GeeksToGO. Follow the instructions in the pinned topic "Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide" and tell them what you said here. They should be able to clean you up. By the volume of your infection it sounds like you need to use more than one tool, including checking for rootkits, which GeeksToGo will guide you through if they deem it necessary.

My suggestion would be that, once you post for help, you disconnect from the internet until you receive help. The stuff on your computer could be trying to download more malware, which is an endless battle if you stay connected.

Good luck.

Good morning Danc20,

And thanks for your help. I let SAS run all night, it found and deleted a lot of other junk, but not that persistant Green Shield...

So I am looking into the other ideas you recommended.

Have a good day,

tam tam magique

Hello.

Please post a HijackThis Log as well as the latest SAS log. Also post the version of Windows that your Mom uses, and if it's 32 bit or 64 bit.

I'd like to suggest that you download/install CCleaner to clean out tons of junk and temp files that are probably on the system and slowing down the scanner. Do not run the Registry cleaner part of CCleaner...just the file cleaner. Below is the download link. Download the SLIM version.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

I'd like to suggest that you download/install CCleaner to clean out tons of junk and temp files that are probably on the system and slowing down the scanner. Do not run the Registry cleaner part of CCleaner...just the file cleaner. Below is the download link. Download the SLIM version.

http://www.piriform....ccleaner/builds

I agree, use ccleaner and if that doesn't help

I suggest you turn System Restore OFF. Reboot the computer

This will wipe out all old system restore points that might be reinfecting the system

Once you have done this go into Safe Mode and re run Superantispyware and now see if it completes and finds the rest of the nasties

Once it is done restart computer and go into regular mode and rerun the scan again and see if it is faster and completes and finds nothing.

Once all is fine- make sure you re turn on System Restore

If this doesn't work then you need to send a support ticket to Superantispyware to see if they can help you

robin