Sign in to follow this  
chrisw

Should I Use Free or Portable Version?

My Win7/64 computer runs just fine. I've always used the (installed) free version of SAS, but recently I've put the portable version on my desktop and it works just fine (I like the fact it's not installed). Does the free version give me any capabilities that the portable does not (they seem functionally identical to my untrained eye)? Also, I notice that the portable does not download with the latest data base...you have to update like you do with the free version....or am I missing something?

My Win7/64 computer runs just fine. I've always used the (installed) free version of SAS, but recently I've put the portable version on my desktop and it works just fine (I like the fact it's not installed). Does the free version give me any capabilities that the portable does not (they seem functionally identical to my untrained eye)? Also, I notice that the portable does not download with the latest data base...you have to update like you do with the free version....or am I missing something?

The portable version does NOT update the definitions. You have to download a new portable version each time to get the latest definitions. It's easier to use the free version so that you can update the definitions. The portable version is oriented toward repairing a system that is infected and cannot be scanned by SAS free or Pro.

The portable version does NOT update the definitions. You have to download a new portable version each time to get the latest definitions. It's easier to use the free version so that you can update the definitions. The portable version is oriented toward repairing a system that is infected and cannot be scanned by SAS free or Pro.

SiliconMan....I guess I don't understand. When I download the portable, I get the SAS main menu that offers me the chance to check for definition updates. I do that, and updating clearly takes place...it looks like the definitions that came in the download are a few days old...not the most recent.

Sorry, I'm mistaken. It does look like SAS Portable now permits downloading the updates on demand. It's been a while since I downloaded the portable version. You have to download the definitions each time you want to run a scan because it does not save the most current definitions.