nosirrah

Multicore efficiency

Are there any plans to incorporate multicore efficiency to future releases ?

It would be cool if SAS could scan one file per core so performance would scale according to the number of cores . Scanning the registry and file system at the same time should be easy on a multicore system as an alternate approach . Another idea I had was on a multicore system the scanner could be launched with real time priority but only single core affinity so it would not interfere with the other core(s) . If one core could be locked down like this then locking scanning code into the L2 cache of that core would not pose a problem like it would on a single core system . This should improve scan times .

Are there any plans to incorporate multicore efficiency to future releases ?

It would be cool if SAS could scan one file per core so performance would scale according to the number of cores . Scanning the registry and file system at the same time should be easy on a multicore system as an alternate approach . Another idea I had was on a multicore system the scanner could be launched with real time priority but only single core affinity so it would not interfere with the other core(s) . If one core could be locked down like this then locking scanning code into the L2 cache of that core would not pose a problem like it would on a single core system . This should improve scan times .

We do have plans for multi-core support. We won't be setting the affinity of any thread to real-time as that can have adverse consequences with the Windows scheduler.

We do have plans for multi-core support.

:D

We won't be setting the affinity of any thread to real-time as that can have adverse consequences with the Windows scheduler.

I did not know that . I do this all the time on my work machine when I want one process to have full control of one of the cores so it can run uninterrupted .

I do this a lot when I listen to music while scanning with multiple engines on my work machine . I give the media player affinity to one core and real time priority . This completely eliminates all sound skipping issues .

So you are saying that what I am doing could have adverse consequences in certain situations ?

We do have plans for multi-core support.

:D

We won't be setting the affinity of any thread to real-time as that can have adverse consequences with the Windows scheduler.

I did not know that . I do this all the time on my work machine when I want one process to have full control of one of the cores so it can run uninterrupted .

I do this a lot when I listen to music while scanning with multiple engines on my work machine . I give the media player affinity to one core and real time priority . This completely eliminates all sound skipping issues .

So you are saying that what I am doing could have adverse consequences in certain situations ?

I am speaking more from an application development standpoint - as a scanner, giving us real-time priority would not necessarily speed up the scan as the processor is waiting on the disk and other resources while scanning - the Windows scheduler handles it quite well. We may support the dual core technology (or quad core) by splitting off different tasks into separate threads.