dudeman

Web browsers do not work after quarantine

My computer has browser redirect bugs which appear to be CoolWebSearch variants (search engine results are redirected). SAS finds the problems, but when I clean, my web browsers (Chrome and IE) can no longer connect to the web (unknown, connection refused error). Ping works with IP addresses or URL's, so my internet connection and DNS are working. This problem occurs even if I turn off my firewall completely, so it is not a blocked-port problem. If I have SAS restore the quarantined items, the browsers connect perfectly again (although with the search redirects).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My computer has browser redirect bugs which appear to be CoolWebSearch variants (search engine results are redirected). SAS finds the problems, but when I clean, my web browsers (Chrome and IE) can no longer connect to the web (unknown, connection refused error). Ping works with IP addresses or URL's, so my internet connection and DNS are working. This problem occurs even if I turn off my firewall completely, so it is not a blocked-port problem. If I have SAS restore the quarantined items, the browsers connect perfectly again (although with the search redirects).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the SAS forum Dudeman.

Allow SAS to remove the infection, then go into IE's Tools-->Connections-->Lan Settings. Make sure "Use a proxy..." is unchecked.

If it is unchecked and you still can't get online (but can ping out), then please post the SAS log from the above scan.

Good call! I forgot to double check that. Thank you very much, Seth.

Also, kudos to the folks at SAS for a great product. It eliminated a very tricky problem that many other well-known and respected tools could not.