NewUser

Manual Update of Portable SAS

1. Does the downloaded portable SAS contain the latest SAS definition files or does it need to be updated?

2. If the infected computer does NOT have access to the internet, how can I manually update the definition files?

3. Can the file SASDEFINITIONS.EXE be used to update the portable version of SAS?

How to do it?

1. Does the downloaded portable SAS contain the latest SAS definition files or does it need to be updated?

2. If the infected computer does NOT have access to the internet, how can I manually update the definition files?

3. Can the file SASDEFINITIONS.EXE be used to update the portable version of SAS?

How to do it?

Welcome to the SAS forum NewUser.

The downloaded portable contains the latest definitions for the time of the download. SAS updates the definition files for the portable on a daily basis, you can't manually update it. As such, if you plan on using the portable on a continual basis, then you will need to re-download it when you want the latest definitions.

Welcome to the SAS forum NewUser.

The downloaded portable contains the latest definitions for the time of the download. SAS updates the definition files for the portable on a daily basis, you can't manually update it. As such, if you plan on using the portable on a continual basis, then you will need to re-download it when you want the latest definitions.

Then, why does it have the "Check for Updates...' button?

Check to make sure that you have the latest spyware definition updates

for the most up-to-date protection.

Moreover, it displays:

Definition Updated

00/00/00000 at 00:00 AM

Both are misleading...

Though a few months old, this thread seems to be more in tune to what I was looking for.

There was a time when it was stated that users of the portable version should download it prior to use, since the portable version could not be updated (like the installed version), and the downlaod would include the most current updates from the previous day. It is my understanding that the portable version can have its definitions updated. So technically, if I downloaded the portable version in January 2011, I could simply update that download today (3/17/11), and it would have the definitions from yesterday (3/16/11)?

Though a few months old, this thread seems to be more in tune to what I was looking for.

There was a time when it was stated that users of the portable version should download it prior to use, since the portable version could not be updated (like the installed version), and the downlaod would include the most current updates from the previous day. It is my understanding that the portable version can have its definitions updated. So technically, if I downloaded the portable version in January 2011, I could simply update that download today (3/17/11), and it would have the definitions from yesterday (3/16/11)?

Except that the portable version itself is out of date because SAS is now up to V4.50.1000.

Except that the portable version itself is out of date because SAS is now up to V4.50.1000.

That's not a public release yet (4.50.1002) - the portable will be updated when the public release goes out.

So is it safe to say that the user should download SAS Portable prior to use, and NOT update one that was previously downloaded?