Randem

SuperAntiSpyware will not startup in Vista and Windows 7 at logon

This function was working then an update happened a while ago and it hasn't worked since on any machine except XP. I have a Vista and Window 7 machine that SuperAntiSpyware will absolutely not start up at logon time even thought the box is check to start up when Windows starts up and the entry is in the registry to start up. I have attempted to place it in the Startup folder and task scheduler to no avail. Once Windows is started I can manually start the program and it works as it should. As a reseller I have a tough time explaining to my customers that they have to continue to run this program manually and it does not automatically protect them from anything because it is not running if they forget. They ask why they have paid for it and I have to ask the same question to you.

I need a REAL answer not one of those try this and try that answers. It should be as simple as check the box and it loads but it isn't.

What do I do and what do I tell the customers???

On one of the problem machines, try this and see if resolves the startup problem.

1. Uninstall SAS via Control Panel>Programs and Features.

2. Then download the SAS Uninstaller Assistant per the link below and save it on the desktop.

https://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/1344-superantispyware-uninstallation-assistant/

3. Run the Uninstaller Assistant. A reboot will be required at the end of the uninstall.

4. After the reboot, ensure that there are no folders with the words SuperAntiSpyware or !SASCORE in the name of the folder on the C:\ drive. If there are, delete these folders.

5. Download/install the latest SAS V4.45.1000 from the link below:

https://www.superantispyware.com

Now will SAS start up properly on reboot?

Here is some more information as to why it is not loading:

Log Name: System

Source: Application Popup

Date: 11/6/2010 10:13:25 PM

Event ID: 1060

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: RalphJames-PC

Description:

\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASKUTIL.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Popup" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49152">1060</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-11-07T08:13:25.621365600Z" />

<EventRecordID>44213</EventRecordID>

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>RalphJames-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASKUTIL.sys</Data>

<Binary>000000000200300000000000240400C0000000006B0300C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

and more info:

Log Name: System

Source: Service Control Manager

Date: 11/6/2010 10:13:25 PM

Event ID: 7000

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: RalphJames-PC

Description:

The SASKUTIL service failed to start due to the following error:

This driver has been blocked from loading

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7000</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-11-07T08:13:25.621365600Z" />

<EventRecordID>44214</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="976" ThreadID="2880" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>RalphJames-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="param1">SASKUTIL</Data>

<Data Name="param2">%%1275</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Already attempted the uninstall / re-install / download latest release and no joy!!! I had forgotten to mention that.

Did you use the SAS Uninstaller Assistant?

Yes, I did. I just did it all again and this time it worked (for now). I will see if it has a conflict with suspected MalwareBytes. This phenom seemed to be the same time as when I let MalwareBytes run in "Protection Mode" and MalwareBytes hung the machine. I will let you know my findings although on the Vista machine that I did not un-install / re-install, it just started working... coincidence?? or was there an update that corrected the issue?

Yes, I did. I just did it all again and this time it worked (for now). I will see if it has a conflict with suspected MalwareBytes. This phenom seemed to be the same time as when I let MalwareBytes run in "Protection Mode" and MalwareBytes hung the machine. I will let you know my findings although on the Vista machine that I did not un-install / re-install, it just started working... coincidence?? or was there an update that corrected the issue?

It's possible that V4.45.1000 fixed an issue; however, I do not recall the SAS gurus stating so.

Ok, here is a bit more info:

I am running Window 7 64bit. I checked the location of SuperAntiSpywae prior to me uninstalling this time and the last time it was installed in \Program Files (x86)\ This time when I re-installed it went to \Program Files\. Since the installer automatically determines where the installation goes, I would imagine that the some of the wrong files were installed the first time? I can't yet explain how the Vista 32bit box just started working.

Yes, that is why I suggested in my posted procedure i(n my first post) that you delete folders with the word "SuperAntiSpyware" in the name. The proper location of x64 version of SAS is in C:\Program Files. However, the uninstaller at the time of the upgrade from the old 32-bit version does not clean out folders and files from C:\Program Files (x86). I had a feeling that you might have been caught in this trap. :blink:

Thanks, I followed a procedure for uninstalling the first time but it failed to mention that I had to delete the original installation folder manually. Ok that also seemed to solve my issues with MalwareBytes for the time being. We shall see if it hold true... It was probably the 32 bit driver hanging and MalwareBytes getting caught in the backwash...

Thanks again!

I am running Windows 7. Had a problem with launching SuperAntispyware at startup. Tried the removal process and tool. Reinstalled the newest software with the same result. I went into the SuperAntispyware program properties and set the compatibility to Windows 7. Works perfect now.

Just thought someone might be having the same problem and could use the information.