ssoundman

Win7 vs SAS - cannot start as scheduled task

I'm the laptop repair guy for our college campus and we've been enjoying SAS Pro protection for a couple of years. We recently made the jump from WinXP to Win7 and found that, in order to properly run SAS it needed to be started via the task scheduler with highest privileges. We started using it this way because SAS gets blocked at startup when enabling it to start with Windows 7 from within the program itself. It shows up in the “System Tray” as a blocked program and the user must click on it to allow it to run, assuming they notice that it’s there and know that it’s a desirable program.

So now in order for it to run with highest privileges we have turned off the option in the program to start with Windows, and are starting SAS via the Task Scheduler, giving it highest privileges. This has worked fine for some time.

Now we’re having an issue with SAS no longer running at user login on Win7 (which is what the trigger was for starting SAS).

I have noticed that SAS wasn’t running on a couple of machines, and upon further investigation it hasn’t been running in quite some time – apparently about 5 months, as I had outstanding SAS updates on my desktop PC from May of this year! My desktop is a 64bit Win7 system and the other systems we discovered with non-starting scheduled SAS tasks are 32bit Win7 systems. I can no longer even begin running the task from the open Task Scheduler window on any of these machines. We use Avira Pro as our antivirus, and I've never seen a conflict with it in the past.

I also have personal customers in the same position - one in particular has Vista Home Basic (32bit, naturally) and SAS gets blocked at startup, and her scheduled task no longer starts SAS, although it used to. She has Microsoft Security Essentials as her antivirus, and I've never seen a conflict with it in the past.

Are you aware of this problem, and is there a work-around for it? I wonder if a Windows Update broke something, which sometimes happens; but the main point is that we need it to auto-start with highest privileges.

I can't quite make myself believe that we're the only people noticing this particular behavior, so hopefully it's being looked at.

Thanks!

This sounds like you may be running old versions of SAS. The latest version of SAS is V4.44.1000 which is for both x64 and x86 systems. Keep in mind that since version 4.32, SAS is native x64 code on x64 systems and installs at C:\Program Files. SAS runs with or without UAC active and starts up properly using the normal registry RUN keys with no need to use the Task Scheduler. In other words, all you should need to do is checkmark "Start SuperAntispyware when Windows starts" on the Preferences>General and Startup tab>Start-Up Options.

One other thing to check is the DEP setting on your systems. Go to Control Panel>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced tab>Performance Settings>Data Execution Prevention tab and select "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only".

IF you are running old versions of SAS, upgrade to the latest version 4.44.1000.

- Log on with an Administrators account

- Go to the link below and download the SAS Uninstaller Assistant for either x64 or x86 Windows based on whichever Windows 7 you have. Save it on the desktop.

https://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/1344-superantispyware-uninstallation-assistant/

- Close down SAS completely

- Go to Control Panel>Performance and Features and uninstall SAS

- Now run the SAS Uninstaller Assistant. A reboot will be required.

- After reboot, remove the Task Scheduler tasks that you have specially created for SAS.

- Go to the link below and download/install V4.44.1000 of SAS.

https://www.superantispyware.com

(NOTE: BE SURE to enter your license keys when the SAS Installer wizard asks for it. I believe this is on the second wizard window of the installer. Also be sure to activate SAS as the wizard finishes and be sure to update the core/trace definitions.)

- Set up your desired settings via the Preferences window.

- You will want to delete the SAS Uninstaller Assistant from the desktop.

- Reboot to ensure that SAS Pro starts up active.

I have SAS PRO on both Windows 7 x64 and Windows x86 Professional. Using the "Start SuperAntispyware when Windows starts" startup option, SAS Pro starts fully active with or without UAC active (UAC on Default setting). And I run Avira Premium Security Suite V10.0.0.542.

Hope this resolves your issues.

Post Script: Please note that the following update issue on SAS PRO-

If you have more than one user account on a specific computer, each user must update the SAS core/trace definitions when they log on. The current version 4 does not do a global core/trace update when it downloads the latest core/trace definitions. This will be corrected in V5.0 when it is released...supposedly prior to the end of 2010.

Thanks for your quick response.

We are running the most recent version and DEP is already set as you suggest, but we had not recently tried setting the built-in option to auto-start with Windows.

Re-enabled that option and tested it on my desktop PC... Behold! Just as you indicated, there it is!

Will it also work now from Vista Basic without getting blocked at boot-up? I don't have access to this machine without going to the lady's home.

Thanks a lot! :-D

Thanks for your quick response.

We are running the most recent version and DEP is already set as you suggest, but we had not recently tried setting the built-in option to auto-start with Windows.

Re-enabled that option and tested it on my desktop PC... Behold! Just as you indicated, there it is!

Will it also work now from Vista Basic without getting blocked at boot-up? I don't have access to this machine without going to the lady's home.

Thanks a lot! :-D

Yes, it should also work on Vista. I added a post script at the end of my previous post concerning computers with multiple user accounts.

Thanks a lot, siliconman01. I have noticed the account behavior and wondered if it would be changed someday. But it wasn't a deal-breaker for us because we set up SAS with updates and preferences prior to creating the default user profile. :idea: So it carries over nicely to every user created afterward.

I look forward to seeing the new version whenever it becomes available. I'm not in a particular hurry but the screen shots of the new interface look very nice.

You are most welcome :-)

Yes, I think V5.0 is going to have some very useful and much needed enhancements over and above the GUI. I'm optimistic that the SAS staff has listened intently to the various users' WishList.