Sign in to follow this  
Saul

First Chance Prevention

Hey :)

I have just purchased the Professional version and I went to set up Real-Time Protection and First Chance Prevention.

Real-Time set up perfectly, but First Chance didn't. The boxes are greyed out and I cannot tick them.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Okay, thanks for the reply :)

I am running windows 7 :(

I usually do a complete scan when I head off to College and sort out anything bad when I get home since it takes 2+hours to do on my laptop. So I suppose that will make up for it.

Edit:

Found this quote from the preview of 5.0:

The Quick Scan "quickly" scans the file system, registry, memory, etc. The Critcal Point Scan checks about 50 (or more) "critical points" in the system so you can "check" the system in under 1 minute and do a full scan if items are found. It's meant to be a "sanity check" if you feel your system is doing something "odd" or "weird".

Looks like the Critial Point scan = First Prevention, only you may have to do it manually (although I can see there being an option for start-up and turn-off).

Hi Saul.

First Chance Prevention isn't the same as a Critical Point Scan.

Quote from SAS's home page:

First Chance Prevention examines over 50 critical points of your system each time your system starts up and shuts down to eliminate threats before they have a chance to infect and infiltrate your system.

Doesn't that mean that Critical Point does the exact same as First Chance except that Critical Point is manual and not automatic at shut-down/start-up?

Both scan the 50+ critical points of your system really fast?

Doesn't that mean that Critical Point does the exact same as First Chance except that Critical Point is manual and not automatic at shut-down/start-up?

No.

CP just checks the current files.

FC compares the shut down entries to the start up entries.

No.

CP just checks the current files.

FC compares the shut down entries to the start up entries.

This is actually not correct. First Chance Prevention scans critical locations of your computer on startup/shutdown/login/logout. Critical Point Scan is a directed scan that will scan the First Chance Prevention points in addition to memory and loaded modules.