Sign in to follow this  
stuinsnow

Seth! Virut, repeating XP repair install and recovery install

Seth,

I am not sure whether I follow these step.

4. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.

5. Read the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then press F8.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.

7. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Windows XP Setup.

Instead, configuration starts automatically and asks:

1. To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER

2. To repair Windows installation using recovery console, type R

Should I choose 2?

Then, following screen shows up:

Microsoft Windows XP™ Recovery console

The Recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality.

Type EXIT to quit the recovery console and restart computer.

1. C:\Windows.

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto

<To cancel, press ENTER>?

License agreement screen did not appear this time. I saw the screen before.

Choose this one:

1. To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER

You'll then have the option for a repair install or a clean (fresh) install.

Seth,

I confused recovery console is clean install.

Following screen now appears:

To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER

To create a partition in the unpartition space, press C

To delete the selected partition, press D

---

6317 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atagi[MBRR]

-: Partition1 [FAT] 55MB (46MB free)

C: Partition2 [NTFS] 76254MB (52135 MB free)

Unpartitioned space 8MB

I guess I should choose C: Is this correct? What should I do for others?

Thanks

Stu

Delete C Partition 2, then create a new partition in the unallocated space that will appear. Then proceed to install XP on the new partition you created.

Seth,

Reinstall has finished. Yay. Thank you so much indeed!

Now I run device CD provided by DELL.

How can I proceed following? I do not have internet access from reinstalled computer. Download selected items on USB, then upload them to the computer?

> When the install completes, check device manager for any drivers you need to install. Drivers can be found here if there not on the driver cd:

>

> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=LATITUDE%20D620&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

>

> Following that, install your internet security and window's updates.

Good job!

Device Manager will show what devices require a driver to be installed. If the driver cd you have doesn't have the drivers you need, then the link I posted has the drivers...and yes, just download them to a USB stick.

Seth,

Thanks. Then, how can I choose devices? Are the 22 items chosen your selection that I would need for cleanly reinstalled computer? And where in C: drive should I upload them?

Stu

What devices need to be installed? Check device manager for devices with a question mark in front of them. Those are the devices that need drivers. Then download the drivers onto the USB stick, and all you should have to do is open the driver file and it should run automatically.

If you have further trouble with that, then post the devices that need a driver.

By typing service tag number, Dell website provides all necessary drivers. I successfully downloaded them.

Also, I downloaded security pack 3, security essential and update for IE8.

I face two problems. In scrolling down, for instance, IE, screen waves as if it is safe mode and looks very old version. There is no volume function except large beeping sound in closing particular windows. Something is wrong. Can you tell me how to fix or update it?

Stu

RE IE8:

Please confirm IE8 is installed by going into IE's Help-->About Internet Explorer. That will show the version. Also go into Device Manager, find out the name of your video card, and post it here. Oh, please post the service tag as well.

Do the words on web sites seem to large?

RE Sound:

Go into Control Panel-->Sounds and Audio Devices. Make sure your "Playback Device" is set to your audio card. Also check the obvious such as volume/mute. If it still doesn't work, post whatever is listed under "Playback Device".

Seth,

Thanks so much for your advice.

> RE IE8:

>

> Please confirm IE8 is installed by going into IE's Help-->About

> Internet Explorer. That will show the version.

Oh, I installed IE8 through Microsoft Update together with Security Packs. Is this problematic?

Version is: 8.0.6001.18702

> Also go into Device Manager, find out the name of your video card, and post it here. Oh,

> please post the service tag as well.

Do you mean Video Controller under Other devices? If so, it is Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Service tag of my Dell Latitude D620 is: 9SD9MC1

> Do the words on web sites seem to large?

Yes, it is!

> RE Sound:

> Go into Control Panel-->Sounds and Audio Devices. Make sure your

> "Playback Device" is set to your audio card. Also check the obvious

> such as volume/mute. If it still doesn't work, post whatever is listed

> under "Playback Device".

Under Audio tab in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, default device for sound playback is: No Playback Devices.

Do I miss something from Dell utilities?

Thanks,

Stu

Oh, I installed IE8 through Microsoft Update together with Security Packs. Is this problematic?

No, that shouldn't be a problem

Do you mean Video Controller under Other devices? If so, it is Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Under Audio tab in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, default device for sound playback is: No Playback Devices.

It sounds like the video and audio drivers may not be installed. Did you download the drivers for audio and video off the page for your service tag? http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=08W&l=en&s=bsdv&ServiceTag=9SD9MC1&SystemID=Latitude%20D620&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=. If so, some of the dell drivers don't install the actual drivers when you open the downloaded application, sometimes they just extract the installation files to another folder usually in C:\dell. If you're unsure what folder it may be in, just run the original installer from dell again and it should show where it will extract the files to during the process. Also, when all the drivers have been installed there shouldn't be anything left under other devices or with yellow question marks, is there anything else listed under other devices?

If so, some of the dell drivers don't install the actual drivers when you open the downloaded application, sometimes they just extract the installation files to another folder usually in C:\dell.

I just downloaded the video driver for your laptop and when I run the file it looks like it unzips the files into the folder C:\dell\drivers\R191214 by default. If you've downloaded the installation file from the Dell website for the video drivers and run it before, look for this folder and see if there is a setup.exe and run that, it should install your video drivers.

It sounds like the video and audio drivers may not be installed.

I'm way ahead of you:

Go into Device Manager, find out the name of your video card, and post it here. Oh, please post the service tag as well.

Do the words on web sites seem to large?

RE Sound:

Go into Control Panel-->Sounds and Audio Devices. Make sure your "Playback Device" is set to your audio card. Also check the obvious such as volume/mute. If it still doesn't work, post whatever is listed under "Playback Device".

mlake13 and Seth,

It seems that setup.exe for R191213 was not executed before. Right after executing it, all trouble situations, i.e., big letters, waving screen and no sound, are resolved.

I have three more questions:

1. Though now I have sound device, I cannot find sound icon in right bottom corner and taskbar property.

2. My computer says it failed to initialized rundll32.exe. What does this mean?

3. Characters look somewhat different now. Character encoding is set Unicode(UTF-8) as before but font looks different.

By the way, is my video card nVidia Quadro FX350M?

Thanks for your advice,

Stu

1. Though now I have sound device, I cannot find sound icon in right bottom corner and taskbar property.

Go into Sounds and Audio Devices and make sure "Place Volume Icon In Task Bar" is checked. Also uncheck the taskbar option to "Hide Inactive Icons".

2. My computer says it failed to initialized rundll32.exe. What does this mean?

It means a program isn't loading properly. Does the error give an application name?

3. Characters look somewhat different now. Character encoding is set Unicode(UTF-8) as before but font looks different.

By the way, is my video card nVidia Quadro FX350M?

Yes. I asked for that because I knew your video card driver wasn't installed when you explained the IE issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310543

Seth,

After a week since re-installation, everything seems to be fine except rundll32.exe.

One last question. Why are you so nice??? :wink:

Stu

Seth,

After a week since re-installation, everything seems to be fine except rundll32.exe.

One last question. Why are you so nice??? :wink:

Stu

Lol. Why do you seem to find that surprising?

Ok, let's clear up the dll issue, and at the same time check out your system. You can do so by downloading HijackThis from here http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/.

Run the program and choose, "Do a system scan and save a log file". Post that log.

Seth,

I cannot attach log file, so paste it below.

Thanks and have a good weekend!

Stu

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4

Scan saved at 11:37:50 PM, on 10/15/2010

Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\MsMpEng.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\S24EvMon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Broadcom\ASFIPMon\AsfIpMon.exe

C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Common\DataServer.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\EvtEng.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\RegSrvc.exe

C:\Program Files\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU Hybrid TSS v2.0.25\bin\tcsd_win32.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\WLKeeper.exe

C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\iFrmewrk.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe

C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Services Manager\DocMgr\bin\docmgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe

C:\Program Files\Apoint\HidFind.exe

C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE

C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\stsystra.exe

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OrderReminder\OrderReminder.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe

C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe

C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Services Manager\Secure Update\AutoUpdate.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

E:\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe

E:\FirefoxPortable\App\firefox\firefox.exe

E:\FirefoxPortable\App\firefox\plugin-container.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.jp/

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iME JPN 2007 Migration] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\IME12\IMEJP\IMJPKLMG.EXE /Preload

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [intelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [intelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\iFrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel Wireless Tray

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Document Manager] C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Services Manager\DocMgr\bin\docmgr.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSSE] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVHotkey] rundll32.exe nvHotkey.dll,Start

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sigmatelSysTrayApp] %ProgramFiles%\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\stsystra.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OrderReminder] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OrderReminder\OrderReminder.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup

O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?

O4 - Global Startup: EMBASSY Trust Suite Secure Update.lnk = C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Services Manager\Secure Update\AutoUpdate.exe

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1286242402471

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll

O23 - Service: Broadcom ASF IP Monitor (ASFIPmon) - Broadcom Corporation - C:\Program Files\Broadcom\ASFIPMon\AsfIpMon.exe

O23 - Service: DataSvr2 - Wave Systems Corp. - C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Common\DataServer.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\EvtEng.exe

O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\RegSrvc.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\S24EvMon.exe

O23 - Service: NTRU Hybrid TSS v2.0.25 TCS (tcsd_win32.exe) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU Hybrid TSS v2.0.25\bin\tcsd_win32.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless SSO Service (WLANKEEPER) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\WLKeeper.exe

--

End of file - 7069 bytes

Click on "Start" on the bottom left of your screen, then choose "Run". In the run window, type in "msconfig" without the quotes and click "Ok".

Put a dot on "Selective Startup", then click on the "Startup" tab. Uncheck all items that begin with NV or Nv. Click Apply, then OK and restart the computer.

On the restart, you'll get a message that you have used the system configuration utility. Just check off "Don't show me this message again", click "OK" and you should be good to go.

There is no way he can install XP properly on that notebook due to it's chipset. The only way with XP is to use a slipstreamed copy of XP with the relevent chipset drivers available for the installer script. The Windows XP installer will crash over an over again with that notebook UNLESS the notebook chipset drivers are slipstreamed onto the XP installer disk...

Use nlite to create the needed XP disk or PM me and I'll send you a torrent to download it.