Sign in to follow this  
stuinsnow

Seth! Virut, repeating XP repair install and recovery install

Hello,

I got tons of great advice from Seth at the following thread.

https://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/3920-trojan-horse-superantispyware-and-problems/

Now it seems high time to proceed recovery install, i.e., I give up repair install :wink:

Let me explain current situation.

1. My computer is infected by Virut/Trojan recently (again!)

2. ComboFix did not work because my system is infected by Virut

3. I tried AVG (rmvirut.exe) and Kaspersky. Then ComboFix worked

4. I tried XP repair install. Then it keeps repeating repair install, i.e., I cannot log on to my computer even for safe mode. It says "Windows XP setup cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart now"

5. In every repair install, at 34 minutes, it sayas Alps Touch Pad and Conexant HDA D110 MDC V192 Modem have not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP

Then I guess all I can do is recovery install. Seth, could you tell me how to do recovery install? I tried to attach logs of ComboFix and HiJackThis, but could. Error message says "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

I really appreciate you help,

Stu

Welcome back to the forum Stu.

When I glanced over your thread title, I thought someone named a virus after me :mrgreen:

ComboFix did not work because my system is infected by Virut

On an infected system, ComboFix should be run from Safe Mode. If it doesn't run, you just simply rename it. That rename trick will often work when any antimalware program is being blocked from running due to an infection.

In every repair install, at 34 minutes, it sayas Alps Touch Pad and Conexant HDA D110 MDC V192 Modem have not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP

You can ignore those messages and proceed. It's in relation to the version of XP you're installing, and the drivers for those devices that need to be loaded. Once the repair completes, you can update those drivers through Window's Update. (Which you should do immediately after a repair install anyway).

Note Stu, that once a repair install is initiated, it cannot be aborted. If a repair install of XP fails, it's caused by one of these problems:

1) The cd is smudged and/or scratched.

2) The optical drive has weakened and can no longer read thousands of files in quick succession. (Which is what's needed for a repair or clean install).

3) Hardware failure. Most often the hard drive.

You can continue with the repair by ignoring the Logo errors. If you want to do a clean install, let me know and I'll review our other thread for needed information.

Hi Seth,

Thank you for response. XP repair install keep rebooting over two days. Then can you tell me what I can do? I thought clean install is the only solution. Is there any way to finish repair install?

As for 1) The cd is smudged and/or scratched, should I remove CD-ROM and clean it?

Stu

Yes, as that could cause a reboot.

If you want to proceed with restoring your computer back to factory condition, then make sure your important data (pics/docs) are backed up, then do the following:

1) As soon as you turn on the computer, start tapping F8 and a menu will appear.

2) Use the arrow keys to choose "Repair Your Computer" and press Enter.

3) Choose "Dell Factory Image Restore", or something similarly worded, then press Enter.

Seth,

Thank you so much for your help.

First, I will remove CD and clean it and do repair install for the last chance.

Second, if it does not work, I will try clean install.

Is there any way worth trying between the first and the second?

I don't have any important data and pics on my computer. But I just wonder how I could save them if I had given I cannot log on to my computer due to repeated repair install. There is no way to abort repair install, isn't it?

Stu

You're welcome.

Is there any way worth trying between the first and the second?

Unfortunately not.

I don't have any important data and pics on my computer. But I just wonder how I could save them if I had given I cannot log on to my computer due to repeated repair install.

It would require much more advanced tactics. If you need me to elaborate, let me know.

There is no way to abort repair install, isn't it?

That's correct.

Seth,

I am a bit confused.

By pressing F8, menu options come out. But options do not include "Repair Your Computer". 12 options are:

safe mode, safe mode with networking/ command prompt, enable boot logging, enable VGA mode, last known good configuration, directory services restore mode, debugging mode, disable automatic restart on system failure, start windows normally, reboot and return to OS choices menu.

To do clean install, shouldn't I choose Windows Recovery Console and type R to clean install? After typing R, system asks "Which Windows installation would you like to log onto?" Can you tell me if I am on the right course?

Stu

Seth,

I tried to boot to the restore partition by pressing CTRL and F11, but it did not start restore partition. My laptop is indeed Latitude D620.

All I can do is to choose Windows Recovery Console and type R to clean install. Can Dell-specific repair no longer work for my computer? Is it OK to follow general Window clean reinstall?

One thing I should add is I had suppressed Windows flash screen before. So I am not sure when is the right timing to press CTRL and F11. I am afraid but this pressing may not work during falsely repeated booting of repair install.

Stu

I accidentally gave you the recovery option for a d620 running Vista. That's why it didn't work.

As soon as you turn on the laptop, you'll see the Dell screen. At that moment, press "CTRL" and "F11". Be sure to press them simultaneously and release them simultaneously.

Seth,

I tried to press CTRL and F11 simultaneously, but it did not work.

So I tried to normal clean install. But again I failed because: (1) blue screen saying to choose repair or clean install did not show up instead black screen just asked which version of Windows to choose for clean install (2) I chose Windows obviously, but clean install did not start.

Stu

Are you pressing CTRL and F11 when you see the Dell screen?

Do you have a wireless keyboard? Some wireless keyboards won't work for this procedure.

Seth,

> Are you pressing CTRL and F11 when you see the Dell screen?

Yes. When blue DELL log comes out, I pressed CTRL and F11. F2 and F8 worked, but CTRL and F11 didn't

> Do you have a wireless keyboard? Some wireless keyboards won't work for this procedure.

No, I don't have

Stu

I'm thinking the d620 doesn't have a recovery partition.

I've done the CTRL/F11 dozens of times, and I know it can be finicky. When you see the dell screen, press Ctrl and f11 a few times.

If you can't get that to work, then there is no recovery partition and we're in a whole new ball game.

Seth,

I did type several times but it did not work. We seem to encounter new era. :wink:

Stu

Indeed.

Your only option now is to attempt a repair install or a clean install. The latter will require a significant amount of work.

What exactly is happening when you try to do a repair install?

Seth,

CRROM is keep rebooting. When (one routine of) repair install finishes, the computer restarts. But automatically, it resumes "unfinished" repair install.

Thank you for your help.

Stu

On a repair install, the computer will re-boot at least once. When that happens, you'll see, "Press any key to boot from cd". Do not press a key at that point, or the repair will start over.

BTW- Are you using the original Dell CD? Do you have a Dell cd that say's, "Drivers and applications"?

Seth,

Reboot starts automatically without touching anything.

I have two CDROMs: Operating system which I use for reinstallation and drivers and utilities disc 1 of 2. I do not have disc 2 of 2 of drivers and utilities for unknown reason.

Stu

Ok, attempt a clean install. Note that you will lose all personal data, and programs that you've installed will have to be re-installed.

When you run the cd, choose "Install a fresh copy of XP". Delete the partition(s) and create one new one. The next screen will request a format. Do not use the quick format, use the full).

When the install completes, check device manager for any drivers you need to install. Drivers can be found here if there not on the driver cd:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=LATITUDE%20D620&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Following that, install your internet security and window's updates.

Seth,

As I wrote before, (1) blue screen saying to choose repair (type enter) or clean install (type R) did not show up, instead black screen just asked which version of Windows to choose for clean install (2) I chose Windows (no. 1).

Then, "C:\Windows>" sign pops up. Can you tell me what to type to proceed?

Thanks,

Stu

I've clean installed XP hundreds of times, and I've never seen that.

On the screen that gives you the repair option, you should see the option to "Press ESC to install a fresh copy of XP". Do you see that?

When I turn on computer, two options come out.

1. Windows XP professional

2. Recovery console

As I explained before, CTRL and F11 do not work when DELL log appears.

Choosing option 1, repair install resumes. Option 2, black screen asking clean install shows up.

> On the screen that gives you the repair option, you should see the option to "Press ESC to install a fresh copy of XP". Do you see that?

At this screen, I do not see this.

In option 2, the screen says:

Microsoft Windows XP Recovery console

The Recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality.

Type EXIT to quit the recovery console and restart computer.

1. C:\Windows.

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto

<To cancel, press ENTER>?