Sign in to follow this  
Jon Foster

Windows 7 64 bit - Manual update error

Has anyone run into a problem doing manual SAS (free version) updates on a Windows 7 64 bit system? I keep getting an error from the definition updater saying SAS cannot be detected. Please re-install SAS and try again. Normal updates won't work due to an infection...

Thanks, Jon.

Has anyone run into a problem doing manual SAS (free version) updates on a Windows 7 64 bit system? I keep getting an error from the definition updater saying SAS cannot be detected. Please re-install SAS and try again. Normal updates won't work due to an infection...

Thanks, Jon.

We have not had this report, but we'll check it out in our labs. You can always try our portable here (pre-packaged with definitions):

https://www.superantispyware.com/portable

I did a scan with the portable version and it finished without any hits.

In the end the original problem turned out to be a Norton issue. For whatever reason it was entirely corrupt. After doing a complete removal of Norton and cleaning up all the crap it left behind the system is working fine again.

SAS still won't update from the stand alone definition file but the regular updater from withing SAS works fine.

Thanks for the help, Jon.