Maureen

Log not kept

It was suggested that I run your program because I've had several problems with appearances of my desktop as well as software function problems in several different types of programs. One night earlier this week, I had been moving some files and rebooted a few times. No problems. Finally I closed the computer only to boot up the next morning and find the gremlins had been at work and my desktop was completely different from the one I had left the night before. I rolled back to a reset point earlier in the day prior and everything seemed normal.

Yesterday, I realized that several software programs I was using were not working correctly and others wouldn't work at all. This morning I found all my desktop icons had changed to a generic icon and none of them were valid links. It took a while but I went to the MSWord and Outlook and Firefox and got them working.

Oh I did upgrade to Windows 7 with a program CD from Dell about 10 days ago. Have actually had some problems since that time. Windows Word 2003 and Excel 2003 never worked consistently. I attempted to reinstall Office 2003 but continued to get messages that installation failed. I did use the original CD to reinstall.

The search with Superantispyware found several trojans. Prior to the scan, I did mark to save the log, including empty clean logs. But after it told me to reboot to complete the process of removing the virus/trojans, I went back to see the log and none existed.

I can only remember two of the three things that it found. If I had known the save log wouldn't work, I would have at least done a screen print to save the info. I did want to check the log to make sure the problems were removed completely.

Trojan.agent/Gen-ImageDocFake

Trojan.Vundo-Malware-Trace

I think that the Trojan.Vundo-Malware-Trace and the one whose name I can't recall were in the registry.

As I was rebooting, Microsoft Essentials popped up with Trojan:Java/Mugademel.A. At this point I knew the log in your program had not been maintained so I did a screen print of the report on this Trojan. I will attach it.

An earlier scan with Malwarebytes did not find any of the above. Superantispyware did not detect Trojan:Java/Mugademel.A Microsoft Security Essentials scan earlier in the day did not report any problems with my system.

What now? Should I run still a 4th program? Or rerun these programs? Is there a way to retrieve the log which despite being marked was not maintained by your software? I also tried to update the Microsoft Essential definitions and although it shows today's date, I get an error report that it failed. The error report is ERROR CODE 0x80070000d. So, of course, I am assuming I still have some computer problems.

I'd appreciate some help to understand why there was no log and if it is possible to still retrieve one.

Thank you

trojan info.doc

Welcome to the SAS forum Maureen.

I'm not convinced that the problems are being caused by malware. I'm not sure you are either :-). For example:

I did upgrade to Windows 7 with a program CD from Dell about 10 days ago. Have actually had some problems since that time. Windows Word 2003 and Excel 2003 never worked consistently. I attempted to reinstall Office 2003 but continued to get messages that installation failed. I did use the original CD to reinstall.

Honestly, I know of no experienced computer tech that would recommend upgrading an operating system in the manner which you have. Reason being, the problems produced are very similar to what you describe. If you want to upgrade to Windows 7, the best way is to purchase a computer that is designed for W7. The next best option is a "clean" install of W7, as opposed to an upgrade. Keep in mind that with either option, some of your current programs may not work properly (or even install) on W7. Ditto for hardware such as printers.

BTW-Was your computer designed for XP or Vista?

Hello

I bought my laptop last year as a desktop replacement and it was designed for Vista with a planned upgrade to Windows 7

I have on several occasions over the years upgraded to the next level operating system program without incident. However, I will keep in mind a clean install the next time. I do have Office 2007 to install but want to make sure the operating system is working as it should.

Unfortunately buying a new computer in order to upgrade the operating software isn't an option, although I can understand the concept and perhaps avoid some problems.

Thank you for your input.

Maureen

You're welcome.

You said:

Prior to the scan, I did mark to save the log, including empty clean logs.

By default, those options are already checked.

Please confirm those options are checked, and if SAS still doesn't save logs, try un-installing and re-installing SAS.