Sign in to follow this  
pinkbull

Problem uninstalling SAS

Please allow me to rephrase/repost my question, as it requires a different title.

I uninstalled SAS via Control Panel -> Program Features -> SAS -> Uninstall. Nothing seemed to happen, although SAS disappeared from the list on the Program Features right away, as well as in C:\Program Files directory. The SAS desktop icon was still present on my desktop. Note that I didn't have SAS running (didn't use the auto start option) when I started the uninstall process.

After rebooting my machine, the SAS desktop icon also disappeared. Just to be safe, I ran the SAS uninstaller assistant (downloaded from http://www.superanti...lay.html?faq=47). The only thing it did was to ask me to reboot, so I let it reboot, and once my system rebooted, again, I didn't see anything.

I checked in my registry, and found a couple of entries of SAS in HKCU (Local settings... MuiCache), and HKLM (software\microsoft\radar\heapleakdetection\diagnosedapplications).

Does anyone know what caused the strange uninstall behaviors? And, is it okay for me to reinstall SAS now? Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

Guest mtptl

Capture it. There's nothing magical in there that I can recall. I'd recommend using an external CAB or external uncompressed files, though: ours is a whikser under 400Mb...

seo | link building

Please allow me to rephrase/repost my question, as it requires a different title.

I uninstalled SAS via Control Panel -> Program Features -> SAS -> Uninstall. Nothing seemed to happen, although SAS disappeared from the list on the Program Features right away, as well as in C:\Program Files directory. The SAS desktop icon was still present on my desktop. Note that I didn't have SAS running (didn't use the auto start option) when I started the uninstall process.

After rebooting my machine, the SAS desktop icon also disappeared. Just to be safe, I ran the SAS uninstaller assistant (downloaded from http://www.superanti...lay.html?faq=47). The only thing it did was to ask me to reboot, so I let it reboot, and once my system rebooted, again, I didn't see anything.

I checked in my registry, and found a couple of entries of SAS in HKCU (Local settings... MuiCache), and HKLM (software\microsoft\radar\heapleakdetection\diagnosedapplications).

Does anyone know what caused the strange uninstall behaviors? And, is it okay for me to reinstall SAS now? Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

The fact that you have the two above identified registry keys still present for SAS is not unusual. MUICache and heapleakdetection are not normally tampered with by program uninstallers. The events that you experienced during the uninstall itself do not seem abnormal either. Sometimes it takes a reboot to remove locked links or files that are flagged by uninstallers to "delete on reboot". The special uninstaller functions exactly as you described. All you see the "must reboot" message once the uninstaller assistant runs.

It sounds to me like your system is ready for the re-installation of SAS.

Thanks. I reinstalled SAS last night, and found my old log files and quarantined items still present (after the re-installation completed). Apparently the uninstall didn't completely remove the old stuffs, but SAS seems to run all right so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers.

i don't think there was a problem with the SAS uninstall that you ran.. you said all the SAS files, in "c/program files", were removed, when you ran the uninstall.. just because the uninstall seemed instantaneous, that doesn't mean that there was a problem with it.. some programs are like that, when you run the uninstall.. it is not what you normally see, but, none the less, that is the way that some uninstallers work..

as for some SAS regkeys being leftover, in some places, after the uninstall, that also is not uncommon..

i have had problems with uninstalling SAS, before, in the past, where some SAS files were leftover, in "c/program files", after having run the uninstall, but i would just delete those files and that was that..

Thanks. So apparently the SAS log files and quarantined items are stored somewhere outside of the Program files directory so that's why I was still seeing them after the re-installation. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thanks. So apparently the SAS log files and quarantined items are stored somewhere outside of the Program files directory so that's why I was still seeing them after the re-installation. Thanks for sharing your experience.

What I typically do on a SAS uninstall is reboot after the uninstall and then do a search for any folders containing the word SuperAntiSpyware and SASCore. If any folders are found, I delete them and then re-install SAS.

And yes, the log files and quarantine items are not in the C:\Program Files\SuperAntiSpyware folder.