Sign in to follow this  
glassman

sas portable being blocked by resident shield alert

I'm in the process of running sas portable in regular mode (had trouble getting into safe mode last time, so I didn't even try it) on my dell xp laptop which was infected with antimalwaredoctor.

The process started, then this 'resident shield alert' popped up in front of the screen obscuring the sas screen, so I can't tell what it is doing! resident shield has listed 4 trojan horse generic 18c things, but from what I can find on the internet, this is a phony virus detector. Someone said not to touch it in any way, so I'm afraid to even move it with the cursor to see if sas is doing anything.

Ok, I just noticed that sas is still running, I see the last 2 digits of the clock on the lower right just peeking out from behind the resident shield thing. Is it safe to 'x' resident shield out or move it out of the way with the cursor? At some point sas is going to stop, and I don't know what to do to activate it and get rid of all the nasties. Help!

post-12128-071832900 1281381804_thumb.jpg

Hi glassman.

Move the infection Window so you can follow through with the SAS portable.

If that doesn't work, then the infection will usually give you a few seconds of lee-way if you choose "Continue Unprotected".

Hi glassman.

Move the infection Window so you can follow through with the SAS portable.

If that doesn't work, then the infection will usually give you a few seconds of lee-way if you choose "Continue Unprotected".

Thanks so much for the feedback! Mucho kudos to sas!!

The scan ended, over 123 things found! Before I had a chance to see your reply, I took a chance and moved it with the cursor, so you are correct, it can be moved at least. The more I think about it, the more I think it might have been a genuine avg notice, but you start to get paranoid when something takes over your computer! When I restarted, the avg notice didn't come up, so I'm guessing sas took care of it, whether it was real or not.

I executed the removal, everything seems great! For the first time in months,I'm not seeing antimalwaredoctor flashing on my screen! Amen to that!

I'm thinking I should get rid of the old avg and antimalewarebytes (it took this over at one point!)and zone alarm and install fresh stuff, rather than just updating the versions I have. Any other steps I should be taking? Am I being paranoid or is this a good idea?

Any and all advice much appreciated!