Sign in to follow this  
jimstolz76

Are you running SAS alongside Anti-Virus software?

I've been using SAS Free to fix problems for a few years now. I just decided to "go pro" and got myself two lifetime licenses.

Now that I've got real-time protection running, would you also keep a virus scanner in place? I understand that no one program catches everything, but I've been happy with what SAS has done for me in the past, and I feel like the real-time scanner was the only thing I was missing.

Thanks for any input

I've been using SAS Free to fix problems for a few years now. I just decided to "go pro" and got myself two lifetime licenses.

Now that I've got real-time protection running, would you also keep a virus scanner in place? I understand that no one program catches everything, but I've been happy with what SAS has done for me in the past, and I feel like the real-time scanner was the only thing I was missing.

Thanks for any input

Yes, keep the virus scanner in place. SAS does not replace virus scanners such as AVG, Kaspersky, Microsoft Essentials, Avira, Norton, etc.

siliconman is right.. SAS is not a replacement for a antivirus program.. running SAS together with an AV program compliments the AV program, "another layer of defense", as they say.. SAS might catch things that your AV program doesn't catch.. SAS is intended to be run along with your AV program..

however, it there is a problem with running SAS along with your AV program, where you can't run SAS along with your AV program (it is possible that that could happen, with some AV programs), then i would opt to run the AV program and to not run SAS, if i had to choose between one or the other, since an AV program is intended to cover a wider range of malware..

You can run MSE and SAS with real-time protection, I do with both XP and W7

OK, thanks.

I think I'll keep running MSE and turn off the real-time protection on SAS, but keep the First Chance Prevention on (that's a cool feature...)

like mogojohn said, you should run SAS, with its realtime-protection enabled, along with your antivirus program..

personally, i don't use the "first chance prevention" options, but i have the "realtime-protection" enabled, so that SAS's "guard" will flag, and block, any malicious files that try to run, if that happens..

Good advice you have received. The only thing I would change about your protection set-up is MSE. I would opt for Avast 5.0. MSE does not have the real-time shields that Avast does. Yes it has some but, not as many and MSE's detection rate is not as good. The best feature about Avast is the boot-time scan. This will scan files prior to the loading of windows. Once windows loads there are certain files which are locked and cannot be scanned.

Avast 5.0