Sign in to follow this  
TechGeek2

Recommended SAS scanner settings

I am curious as to why SAS recommends the setting to skip the scanning of files larger than 4mb when scanning. I acknowledge most executable files are smaller than 4mb but, many users, even after being warned not to, use P2P software to download music, videos and other files most of which are larger in size than 4mb. Many infections are contracted through these type files. Thanks in advance!

I am curious as to why SAS recommends the setting to skip the scanning of files larger than 4mb when scanning. I acknowledge most executable files are smaller than 4mb but, many users, even after being warned not to, use P2P software to download music, videos and other files most of which are larger in size than 4mb. Many infections are contracted through these type files. Thanks in advance!

Personally I use the settings shown in the attached pic on all my systems. Scanning takes a little longer, but.....

Personally I use the settings shown in the attached pic on all my systems. Scanning takes a little longer, but.....

Thanks for the reply. Your settings pretty much mirror mine with the exception of terminating memory. Other than that one, they are exact. Thanks again. I am hoping someone can inform me of the purpose behind the recommendation. Although I am sure there is one, I can think of no practical reason other than the speed of the scan.

joel, the reason for ignoring some files during a scan is just to make the scan faster.. personally, i always try to scan all files, where none are ignored..

joel, the reason for ignoring some files during a scan is just to make the scan faster.. personally, i always try to scan all files, where none are ignored..

Thanks to everyone for the answers given. Redwolfe I too scan all files regardless of size. Also, I noticed your location is SC. I too am in SC.. upstate area. Hello neighbor..

Can anyone give me a screenshot of the tab General and Startup under preferences. I use XP and am having shutdown issues where SAS doesn't close at shutdown and I have to 'end now'. All the best.

It very well could be SAS causing the issue. I too receive the end now prompt. I simply wait it out however. I receive it as a result of both SAS and my MagicJack. Sorry for the large screenshot. I attempted to use the thumbnail but, for whatever reason it wouldn't work for me. As to the delay in shutdown, it is worth to me to wait a few extra seconds to shut down in order to have the real-time protection of SAS. Happy surfing.

sas10.jpg

i mentioned this in another thread but i too sometimes see a message about SAS's process's not closing when i am logging out of an account or when i am shutting down my computer.. it doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes..

like joel said, i just don't worry about it.. eventually the process gets closed..

Thank you for the scan settings. I have just purchased SAS Pro a few weeks ago and from what I see of it, I like it. :)