clemenzina

"Update available" notifications - but there isn't!

Every time I boot up I get a pop-up telling me that an SAS update is available:

(1) If I click on it I am told that it can only be done in Administrative mode;

(2) When I check with my installation of SAS Pro it says it is already up-to-date.

This is a damn nuisance and a waste of time, boot-up takes long enough without this extra interruption :angry: Can I prevent it from happening?

clemenzina

Every time I boot up I get a pop-up telling me that an SAS update is available:

(1) If I click on it I am told that it can only be done in Administrative mode;

(2) When I check with my installation of SAS Pro it says it is already up-to-date.

This is a damn nuisance and a waste of time, boot-up takes long enough without this extra interruption :angry: Can I prevent it from happening?

clemenzina

What version of SAS are you running? Are you running Vista or Windows 7? If so, try closing SAS and going to the start menu and finding SAS in the programs menu, right-click on it and choose run as administrator. Now, right click on the SAS icon in the system tray and choose check for updates. If a box appears saying there is an update, try and perform the update.

Windows7 Starter (never again :angry: but it's on my netbook).

SAS Pro Lifetime Sub 4.40.1002. There's no right-click option "Run as Administrator".

Funnily enough, it's stating "Definitions updated 07/29/2010" which is just after I last booted up.

In Properties under Security tab there's Group or User Names, that includes Administrators; and under Permissions for Everyone there's Full Control, Modify, which are not ticked. Shall I change anything there?

Another thing, there are settings which seem to mean I could share this version with my other laptop on the network - is this so?

Thank you for the quick response, sorry I was unable to come back earlier.

clemenzina :)

Hi Clemenzia.

There are two different updates for SAS (Definitions and Version). Your definitions are fine, and the prompt you are seeing is to update the version.

Are you an Administrator or Standard user?

Close SAS then try out suggestion 3 from here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11841-run-administrator.html

Once you've completed that, open SAS, right click on its beetle icon in the Notification Area and choose "Check For Updates". It should now be able to update.

Thank you Seth - I now have 4.41.1000.

clemenzina :-)

Great!

You'll still get the occasional message for a version update, but it should go through without any issue from now on.