Spencer_Ross

Unable to download SAS

My computer has recently been contracted with, what i believe to be, some form of spyware. I've had many problems trying to run anything in internet explorer. For example when i do a search on google and click a link, 90% of the time i will be redirected to some random site or it will simply say that the link is broken. Ironically, this happens mostly when i do antispyware-related searches. Could it be that the spyware is making sure i cannot get rid of it by blocking those sites?

Anyways, when it was recommended to me that i try using SAS i thought i'd download it and give it a try. This seemed like it should be simple, but i have been unsuccessful in downloading it after NUMEROUS tries. I've been attempting to download the 'free edition' but everytime i get to the page that says "downloading program" it quickly navigates away and comes up with "Oops! Internet Explorer could not find downloads.superantispyware.com"

i'm not exactly sure what to do, or how to obtain the program, i've tried downloading it on another computer and transferring it over to my computer with a flash drive, but nothing seems to work.

any suggestions?

My computer has recently been contracted with, what i believe to be, some form of spyware. I've had many problems trying to run anything in internet explorer. For example when i do a search on google and click a link, 90% of the time i will be redirected to some random site or it will simply say that the link is broken. Ironically, this happens mostly when i do antispyware-related searches. Could it be that the spyware is making sure i cannot get rid of it by blocking those sites?

Anyways, when it was recommended to me that i try using SAS i thought i'd download it and give it a try. This seemed like it should be simple, but i have been unsuccessful in downloading it after NUMEROUS tries. I've been attempting to download the 'free edition' but everytime i get to the page that says "downloading program" it quickly navigates away and comes up with "Oops! Internet Explorer could not find downloads.superantispyware.com"

i'm not exactly sure what to do, or how to obtain the program, i've tried downloading it on another computer and transferring it over to my computer with a flash drive, but nothing seems to work.

any suggestions?

FWIW.. As stated in the other reply above, use the portable scanner. Using an operable computer download it to a removable media device. Restart the infected computer in safe mode. Launch the scanner. It is my opinion, based on experience, that you will need to update and perform a full scan in normal mode as soon as you have the ability. Scanning with the portable scanner in safe mode should provide that ability. This is one heck of a great little tool. I absolutely love in my fight against malware. It is a must have to me!

spencer, by now, your probably have found help with removing the malware and repairing your computer..

when you say that you are not able to download the SAS program, i am thinking that maybe your HOSTS file has been hijacked.. to fix that you need to restore your HOSTS file.. i just wasn't sure what to tell you, to do that.. with win xp, it would be simple, download "hostsxpert", from "funkytoad", then use the option to restore the default HOSTS file.. with windows vista, or windows 7, i am not sure what it would take to restore the HOSTS file..

if you can manage to do it, you could try renaming the HOSTS file to "NOHOSTS"..

you can find information about working with the HOSTS file at this website:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm