bruno

AVG free better than SAS Pro?

Today I installed AVG free in addition to SAS Pro and did the 1st scan with AVG.

I was really surprised about some trojans which were detected by AVG and

now I'm asking myself if SAS is the right choice for me.

Why should I use a software which offers me less protection instead of one

which gives me more protection?

(apart from the fact that the better one is free)

On 7/24/2010 at 11:39 PM, bruno said:

Today I installed AVG free in addition to SAS Pro and did the 1st scan with AVG.

You will find that some software will find some infections or possible infections that others will not. In reverse I'm sure SuperAntiSpyware detects things AVG does not. If you find possible infections that SAS does not detect please use the SuperSampleSubmit program located here http://cdn.superantispyware.com/SUPERSampleSubmit.exe and the SAS team will determine if definitions need to be added to their database. Make sure your not submitting virus' because SAS is not an antivirus.

Hope this helps,

Chris

I'm not interested in submitting samples,

I'm interested in a product I can rely on.

I'm sure I lost some customers due to the fact,

that SAS doesn't deliver a full coverage

means it damaged my reputation,

which costs me more money as I earned throu commissions.

In other words: I'm pissed off.

If somebody wants to reply,

pls do not write down any testiomonials or phrases,

since it only makes me more mad.

Thank you.

In my several years of experience there has never been one antivirus/antispyware product that catches everything there is. As a technician or a home user it would be entirely ideal to be able to install one product and never have to worry that you may be unprotected from some threats. Unfortunately, it is not possible for any antivirus/antispyware vendor to keep up with the vast number of threats and at the rate that they are created. I have found (like many examples from others I have seen) that to get the best protection possible on a computer you have to have more than one product installed. Usually this combination tends to be in a fashion such as 1 antivirus product and 1 antispyware product, usually both that operate in real-time mode. Some may opt to add in an additional real-time antispyware product or have a software firewall installed, but it all depends on whether the user of the particular machine's online behavior is very risky or not i.e. just checking e-mail or reading the occasional online article vs. peer-to-peer file sharing or downloading cracked files/key generators. In my experience SuperAntiSpyware is the best "Antispyware" scanner available, but that is all it is intended for, not a replacement for a product such as AVG which main function is to be an "Anti-virus" protection.

There is no single optimal approach to achieving computer security!!

that is why there is layered defense and I would not depend on AVG for much at all

one detects and deals with one aspect and the other another aspect.

Your comparison of AVG to SAS is equivalent to comparing apples and oranges. AVG, although in my opinion, based on years of experience, is not worthy of installing, is an anti-virus software while SAS is a malware scanner which, if using the pro version, provides real-time protection. Nevertheless, as repeatedly pointed out here by other members, no anti-virus nor malware scanner has a 100% detection rate. For this reason you need added protection. This, in my opinion, not only means having a solid anti-virus software, as well as SAS with routine scans, but also means a secure browser like FireFox complete with the appropriate ad-ons like AdBlockPlus and MyWOT site advisor.

If you want to continue with your opinion about AVG that is certainly up to you. I can tell you, however, from years of personal experience, you are dead wrong. A more solid anti-virus software, which also offers a free version, is Avast 5.0.

As for SAS, well I will be happy to provide you with several pages of testimony from users of my forum who have raved about having their computers salvaged from malware. And, yes, the primary tool allowing me to appear so great has been SAS time and time again.

I'm interested in a product I can rely on.

I'm sure I lost some customers due to the fact,

that SAS doesn't deliver a full coverage

means it damaged my reputation,

which costs me more money as I earned throu commissions.

In other words: I'm pissed off.

If somebody wants to reply,

pls do not write down any testiomonials or phrases,

since it only makes me more mad.

Thank you.

Superantispyware is not an antivirus. It is a complementary software. You can't compare the two as nether work the same. If you indeed do pc repair, you should know the difference between the two. In other words: you can only be pissed off at yourself. It's not called superantispyware for nothing. It detects spyware and other forms of malware, but it works alongside your existing protection.

@ bruno

I believe we had this same conversation a year or so ago in the old SAS forums.

If you are overselling SAS, the burden lays with you, not SAS. You are not properly servicing your customers, nor SAS by doing this. SAS is not a one stop security solution, and it doesn't claim to be one. Your customers also need a good firewall and antivirus program, at the very minimum. Please, spend some time researching the various types of malware present on today's internet and you should get a better understanding.

I find this an odd statement from a SAS reseller. Why wouldn't you want to improve SAS?

@ bruno

I believe we had this same conversation a year or so ago in the old SAS forums.

If you are overselling SAS, the burden lays with you, not SAS. You are not properly servicing your customers, nor SAS by doing this. SAS is not a one stop security solution, and it doesn't claim to be one. Your customers also need a good firewall and antivirus program, at the very minimum. Please, spend some time researching the various types of malware present on today's internet and you should get a better understanding.

View Postbruno, on 26 July 2010 - 01:40 AM, said:

I find this an odd statement from a SAS reseller. Why wouldn't you want to improve SAS?

Agreed.

However (I always have a "however":0)

A decent firewall is only effective to those that know how to use a firewall. In other words, the average computer user will accept all, or deny all. Both are dangerous options.

Get it now?

Guest mtptl

Whether the AVG 8 free version will include an 'always on' background anti-spyware scanner or whether it ill be similar to a stand-alone scanner that you use when you like I am not sure. I reckon that for the first 30 days it will be the full element of the AVG suite. But after that, it may become just an on-request scanner. I know Marianna found the forum post that said nothing will be disabled after 30 days, (and I trust Marianna implicitly, :) ), so that seems to imply the AVG Free is full featured like the AVG Pro?

Boilers

I will take it one step further.

As said AVG is an antivirus program. It finds viruses and trojans a some rootkits but not every trojan. Superantispyware finds trojans, rootkits, spyware and malware it doesn't find viruses. You need an antivirus program and a program like Superantispyware running besides each other for double coverage. You do not know when AVG or any other antivirus program for that matter, sends up their definitions so it is better to be double protected than only one protection. I have used AVG for about 10yrears and had no qualms with it except for the past few months because certain updates caused havoc on some of my and my clients computers and some it caused no problems and they still use the program along side Superantispyware Pro. Others including myself either have MSE or Avast 5.0 free version.

You cannot set up a scan at the same time because then they will indeed fight each other and something will wind up crashing including your OS. You should set them about 3 hours apart and you really do not need to run scans either of them every day. I have the antivirus program scanning once a week and superantispyware Pro scanning once a week on separate days. of each other. The only time I have superantispyware pro scan daily on a few clients computers if I find they heavy surf.

I also use firefox for protection and adblock and Wot as addons. I do not like third party firewalls for the average user because they have not a clue what to allow or not allow and then i get this phone call that "I cannot connect to the internet" because this client said NO to something that actually needed to go out. I prefer the OS own firewall program and if you are really anal you can put a router to your modem for a hardware firewall.

I think too much protection is over kill but not enough is worse.

robin