Sign in to follow this  
rl22

RESTORING FILES

I posted yesterday about the SAS scan showing thousands of infected files. I was using version 3.91 which was the cause of all the false positives. UNFORTUNATELY, I allowed many of the false positives to be quarantined by SAS and then downloaded the newest SAS. BUT,I forgot to restore the files that went into quarantine before uninstalling SAS 3.91. NOW my Windows Vista is messed up and I tried a system restore but received the message that it was not successful! Now what can be done? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I posted yesterday about the SAS scan showing thousands of infected files. I was using version 3.91 which was the cause of all the false positives. UNFORTUNATELY, I allowed many of the false positives to be quarantined by SAS and then downloaded the newest SAS. BUT,I forgot to restore the files that went into quarantine before uninstalling SAS 3.91. NOW my Windows Vista is messed up and I tried a system restore but received the message that it was not successful! Now what can be done? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I do not feel that you have but one choice and that is to re-install Windows and your third party programs. You have no way now of knowing what was deleted; therefore, your system will most likely not work properly until you re-install Windows and your third party programs. :cry:

Did you choose to remove the qauarantined items when you uninstalled? If not, restore the files from quarantine.

What issues are you now having with Vista?

Did you choose to remove the qauarantined items when you uninstalled? If not, restore the files from quarantine.

What issues are you now having with Vista?

I mistakenly left the files in quarantine when I uninstalled SAS. But, I'm wondering, if I reinstall SAS 3.91, could it possibly recognize the previously quarantined files and then restore them?

I mistakenly left the files in quarantine when I uninstalled SAS. But, I'm wondering, if I reinstall SAS 3.91, could it possibly recognize the previously quarantined files and then restore them?

Forgot to answer about Vista issues: It's working except for glitches such as, when I try to launch some programs there is a very long wait and then I get a message that the program is not responding.

Yes.

If you didn't choose the option to delete the quarantined files when you removed SAS, then the new install of SAS will recognize the previous quarantined files.

Yes.

If you didn't choose the option to delete the quarantined files when you removed SAS, then the new install of SAS will recognize the previous quarantined files.

Great, I'll try this but, I can't find my SAS 3.91 exe and can't find it on the web. Anyone know where it could be found? Thanks much!

Yes.

Do you mean installing the new SAS 4.4 will bring up the old quarantine or is the version I was using (3.91) needed?

Do you mean installing the new SAS 4.4 will bring up the old quarantine or is the version I was using (3.91) needed?

No, don't use the old version.

Yes, the new install should bring up the old quarantine if you didn't choose to delete it when you uninstalled.

No, don't use the old version.

Yes, the new install should bring up the old quarantine if you didn't choose to delete it when you uninstalled.

Thank you. Installed SAS 4.4. It DOES NOT show previous quarantine from SAS 3.91. Exploring my computer files I find many in the recycle bin preceeded by "$". Perhaps the SAS quarantined files did go into the recycle bin. I'm thinking that I can restore these (though there are hundreds) through VIsta without using SAS...is this a good way to go? Or, should I try SAS 3.91, find quarantine file?

WELL, the $ files are obviously not the ones that were quarantined. Just wondering if I should try to use SAS 3.91 before I resort to system recover. Problem is, I can't find SAS 3.91.

There must be the quarantine file on my hard drive...just how to find it!