Sign in to follow this  
daydreamer2182

Problem

Hi! Firstly I would like to say how wonder I think SAS is and how useful it has been to me. Recently I have purchased a new computer and the first thing I did was to download SAS, it's been a couple of weeks and every time I try to run it the program crashes whenever it reaches a certain point. It scans to c:\users\**\appdata\roaming\microsoft\internet explorer\quick launch\virus trigger 2.1.lnk. I have tried looking for this extension and I cannot find anything. I'm using windows 7 and I would really appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

Hi Daydreamer.

If you hover your pointer over the SAS icon in the Notification Area, you'll see the version, core and trace numbers. The same numbers can be found in SAS's main screen.

Please post that info for further assistance.

Here is a link that explains the rogue/malicious VirusTrigger 2.1 malware.

VirusTrigger 2.1 Removal at BleepingComputer

The real question is why is SAS crashing when it detects the link VirusTrigger 2.1.lnk in the Internet Explorer Quick Launch folder.

- Try removing SAS via Control Panel>Programs and Features.

- Then download and install the latest SAS version 4.40.1002 from https://www.superantispyware.com

- Be sure to update to the latest core/trace definitions after you re-install SAS..

- Run another scan and see if it crashes.

If it does crash, you should submit a Customer Service Request per the link below and let the SAS gurus work with you to correct the problem in SAS.

https://www.superantispyware.com/precreateticket.html

Hi Siliconman.

Indeed the file is an infection remnant. The real question is whether or not SAS is the culprit.

As such, if the file was deleted and the issue re-occurred on subsequent files, I would then suggest other options.

However, your method would work just as well:)

I have run into the exact same problem on a computer that is less than a day old! Before I do anything I want to double check to make sure that I should manually delete the Virus Trigger2.1 Ink file that is IE quick launch. Thanks.

I have run into the exact same problem on a computer that is less than a day old! Before I do anything I want to double check to make sure that I should manually delete the Virus Trigger2.1 Ink file that is IE quick launch. Thanks.

Thanks for that.

Given that you're the second person to report this issue within a day, take the advice from Siliconman.

Hi! Firstly I would like to say how wonder I think SAS is and how useful it has been to me. Recently I have purchased a new computer and the first thing I did was to download SAS, it's been a couple of weeks and every time I try to run it the program crashes whenever it reaches a certain point. It scans to c:\users\**\appdata\roaming\microsoft\internet explorer\quick launch\virus trigger 2.1.lnk. I have tried looking for this extension and I cannot find anything. I'm using windows 7 and I would really appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

Is this a 32 or 64 bit system? May one of our developers contact you on Monday with a special build?

Thanks for that.

Given that you're the second person to report this issue within a day, take the advice from Siliconman.

Ran a scan on my desktop last night only to find that the program crashed there as well due to the same Virus Trigger 2.1Ink in the same location. On the laptop I followed the advice from Siliconman and upon rescanning nothing was picked up. What I don't understand is that nothing really changed. Before uninstalling I was already running 4.40.1002 with latest updates, etc... and after re-installing I was running it again. Shouldn't it have still picked it up (but this time prompted me to deal with it)?

As for finding the actual file, I've tried to show files through both folder options and regedit; the file doesn't show up in that location through either method. Any more advice or thoughts?

Ran a scan on my desktop last night only to find that the program crashed there as well due to the same Virus Trigger 2.1Ink in the same location. On the laptop I followed the advice from Siliconman and upon rescanning nothing was picked up. What I don't understand is that nothing really changed. Before uninstalling I was already running 4.40.1002 with latest updates, etc... and after re-installing I was running it again. Shouldn't it have still picked it up (but this time prompted me to deal with it)?

As for finding the actual file, I've tried to show files through both folder options and regedit; the file doesn't show up in that location through either method. Any more advice or thoughts?

If VirusTrigger 2.1.lnk is, in fact, on your disk then YES it would seem that the new install of SAS V4.40.1002 should/would also detect it. What this sounds like is that the original installation of V4.40.1002 somehow became corrupted. Was the original installation of V4.40.1002 a fresh installation or was it achieved via the SAS LiveUpdate...transitioning from a previous version to the new version automatically? If it was an automatic program update, I suspect that something did not update properly and resulted in a false detection of VirusTrigger 2.1.lnk.

I assume that you are running Windows 7. As you know Quick Launch is not used in Windows 7. You can use Windows Explorer to empty the Quick Launch folder totally if you wish. Do not delete the folder itself....just delete what is in the folder.

Here is a link that explains the rogue/malicious VirusTrigger 2.1 malware.

VirusTrigger 2.1 Removal at BleepingComputer

The real question is why is SAS crashing when it detects the link VirusTrigger 2.1.lnk in the Internet Explorer Quick Launch folder.

- Try removing SAS via Control Panel>Programs and Features.

- Then download and install the latest SAS version 4.40.1002 from https://www.superantispyware.com

- Be sure to update to the latest core/trace definitions after you re-install SAS..

- Run another scan and see if it crashes.

If it does crash, you should submit a Customer Service Request per the link below and let the SAS gurus work with you to correct the problem in SAS.

I have done as you suggested and the program is still crashing at the same point. I have contacted Customer Services and hopefully they will have an answer for me. Thank you all for your help!

I have installed SAS on a new computer, Windows 7, and have been battling with the exact same problem for a week now.

Found that it does not "bomb out" at all when running in safe mode nor does it detect any "undesirables".

Would really appreciate information from anyone who has succeeded in sorting this problem out.

Thank you.

I have installed SAS on a new computer, Windows 7, and have been battling with the exact same problem for a week now.

Found that it does not "bomb out" at all when running in safe mode nor does it detect any "undesirables".

Would really appreciate information from anyone who has succeeded in sorting this problem out.

Thank you.

Please submit a customer service request and let the gurus work with you on resolution

Hello! I have that same problem with this entry and SAS

Whenever i run a scan (quick or complete); SAS gets stuck on "C:\users\**\AppData\roaming\microsoft\internet explorer\quick launch\virus trigger 2. 1.lnk" and just stops working

I use version 4.40.1002 and have updated the spyware definitions

However, I found a workaround. Uninstalling SAS and reinstalling it makes it work ONCE. It runs a quick or complete scan without crashing and does not detect the file "virus trigger 2. 1.lnk" as a threat. After working once, if I try to run a scan again it crashes again

I've looked into the folder, (using see hidden files and such) and there is not such a file in there...

That being said, I had i little issue with a trojan a week ago or so, but I ran my antivirus and antispyware and they say I'm all clear now...

My other software don't detect threats so I'm at ease now, but it bothers me that SAS crashes into that file...

It's my understanding that the new pre-release (V4.41) resolves that issue.

https://www.superantispyware.com/prerelease.html

Please follow the instructions for proper installation.

Hi again

Gave the last info re the pre-release V4.41 a go and it worked once but crashed after I updated the software yesterday. I contacted support back when I first posted but haven't heard back yet.

Hi again

Gave the last info re the pre-release V4.41 a go and it worked once but crashed after I updated the software yesterday. I contacted support back when I first posted but haven't heard back yet.

I have same problem, etc. as Kim. Win 7 64-bit. SAS works until do an update (using button in Control Center -- haven't yet tried a manual update of definitions). Since part of install is to check for updates, which I let it do and I end up with the most current core and trace as shown on website, if we assume that the program does in fact update the definition files as part of the install, then sounds like there is a problem with the updating through the program's control center????

Thank you!

Try our 4.42.1000 pre-release here:

https://www.superantispyware.com/prerelease.html

This should resolve the issue.