Nedra

Malware sending emails with my address

I received calls and emails from friends who have received emails from my personal account. I did not send them. I have the professional version and each scan shows the only things found are cookies.

I use SAS professional and I have ESET and both are up to date and scan regularly.

Why is this happening?

I do not access to internet every day because we are traveling but will check my messages again in a day or two.

Hi Nedra.

Given the sole symptom and the security you run,I don't think it's an infection. I think a spammer has hacked your account.

Your first priority is to change your password, however your address book might have been stolen.

Anyone agree?

It does not mean your PC has been hacked. It is easy and common for spammers to spoof the from address on an email message, using addresses they have collected from some hacked PC's contacts list, or from postings in forums or news groups.

It does not mean your PC has been hacked. It is easy and common for spammers to spoof the from address on an email message, using addresses they have collected from some hacked PC's contacts list, or from postings in forums or news groups.

the interesting part is that I have several user names with AOL. This is the only one that has had the problem. It is the only one that I NEVER post to forums and I do not participate in any news groups, face book, twitter or anything else. So, I have no idea how spammers cold have collected my email address.

Nedra