Sign in to follow this  
NPT55

Reinstalling SAS

Is it necessary to perform a clean install when installing a newer version of SAS or can the new version be installed on the top of the old one?

Is it necessary to perform a clean install when installing a newer version of SAS or can the new version be installed on the top of the old one?

Just use the built in updater :)

Which procedure is recommended?

Right click on the SAS "beetle" icon in the System Tray (Notification area for Windows 7), then choose "Check For Updates".

Right click on the SAS "beetle" icon in the System Tray (Notification area for Windows 7), then choose "Check For Updates".

What I meant to ask is it better to perform a clean reinstall or installing the newer version over the top of the old one would do?

Unless the SuperAntiSpyware gurus specifically state that a new version requires uninstalling the old version, it is fine/okay/appropriate to use the "check for updates" and let the SAS installer do its thing automatically.

Whenever I uninstall SAS even by using SAS uninstallation assistant,it always leaves behind registry keys and values.Should I manually delete those leftovers if in case I need to perform a clean reinstallation?

Whenever I uninstall SAS even by using SAS uninstallation assistant,it always leaves behind registry keys and values.Should I manually delete those leftovers if in case I need to perform a clean reinstallation?

It's probably not necessary; however, it would be safest to go ahead and manually delete them. You might also find that the uninstaller leaves empty folders on your hard drive. These folders will have SuperAntiSpyware or SASCore (on 64-bit systems) in the folder name or as the folder name. These folders can be deleted as well.