Sign in to follow this  
stuinsnow

Trojan horse, SuperAntispyware and problems...

Seth,

System restore does not work because of repair install(?)

I tried ComboFix once again in Safe mode. It again worked. All .exe worked correctly. But once restarted in normal mode, all .exe except Internet Explorer died again.

Then one idea pops up my mind. Can I run ComboFix in normal mode? Probably not...

I have CDROM saying on lable:

Operating System Already installed on your computer

Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Is this the one you mentioned?

One thing I am afraid of reinstallation is I may lose one software that I do not have CDROM for this. Can I save this software to empty CDROM or USB and after reinstallation copy it back to C: drive?

You said you already tried System Restore, but go ahead and try a different restore point.

If that doesn't work, you might as well back up the data and clean install XP. Note that you should also have a cd with the drivers on it. If you don't have that cd, then the needed drivers can be found on Dell's website.

Yes, you can run ComboFix from Normal Mode, but I doubt that would help.

Following the clean install, you can copy that particular program and paste it into Program Files, but whether or not it works depends on how that program is supposed to integrate into XP.

One question on ComboFix.

It says (i) it requires internet connection and (ii) my machine does not have the recovery console installed.

Subsequently, it cannot open iexplorer.exe, hidec.exe and so on. Should I start with recovery CDROM inside the computer?

Then it says:

Without it, ComboFix shall not attempt the fixing os some of important infections.

Is the failure of fixing caused by lack of internet access? If so, how can I obtain internet access? I have Comcast wireless network at home.

I tried to run ComboFix in Safe mode with Networking and in normal mode. In the former, it works. But after restarting in normal mode, it all disappears. In the latter, ComboFix did not work. Why does this difference come out between different modes?

Seth,

After several attempts, icons are visible and .exe works perfectly. One problem is that wireless connection icon does not show up in the right bottom corner. So I still do not have wireless connection.

As for attempts, first I ran ComboFix in Safe mode with Network, then SAS subsequently. In previous attempts without runngin SAS after ComboFix, after restarting, all fixings are gone. But this time with running SAS after COomboFix, I restarted in normal mode and found that all icons are visible and .exe works properly.

However, I still do not have wireless connection icon and obviously do not have wireless connection. I also ran ComboFix and SAS in normal mode, but nothing has changed so far.

So, at this moment, I hesitate to restart again because I may lose icon visibility and .exe.

Is there anything I can do at this moment?

One question on ComboFix.

It says (i) it requires internet connection and (ii) my machine does not have the recovery console installed.

Subsequently, it cannot open iexplorer.exe, hidec.exe and so on. Should I start with recovery CDROM inside the computer?

Then it says:

Without it, ComboFix shall not attempt the fixing os some of important infections.

Is the failure of fixing caused by lack of internet access? If so, how can I obtain internet access? I have Comcast wireless network at home.

I tried to run ComboFix in Safe mode with Networking and in normal mode. In the former, it works. But after restarting in normal mode, it all disappears. In the latter, ComboFix did not work. Why does this difference come out between different modes?

You're going to have to restart sooner or later, so you might as well do it now:)

After the restart, if all is well except the wireless, then go into Device Manager and open Network Controllers. Right click on the wireless card and choose Uninstall. Once uninstalled, right click on any item and choose Scan For Hardware Changes. That will reinstall the wireless card.

Are you able to get on the internet by connecting to the router using a cable?

Seth,

I restarted several times and can say my icons are all visible!

However, it still seems that .exe does not work without running xp_exe_fix every time I restart. So multiple windows saying .exe cannot be found pop out. Language bar is initialized, gone, every time. Can you tell me how to fix this?

Also, I noticed that after BIOS is adjusted to first execute CDROM for repair install, start-up speed is slow.

And start-up and closing windows are old version even. I mean I need to scroll down to choose shut down/restart/... instead of choosing icons for shut down/restart.

I have got wireless network by following your instruction. Thank you!

You're going to have to restart sooner or later, so you might as well do it now:)

After the restart, if all is well except the wireless, then go into Device Manager and open Network Controllers. Right click on the wireless card and choose Uninstall. Once uninstalled, right click on any item and choose Scan For Hardware Changes. That will reinstall the wireless card.

Are you able to get on the internet by connecting to the router using a cable?

Seth,

Attached is the log.

As for language bar, if you use languages other than English, you need to add the languages in Control Panel. Once added, language bar in toolbars are customized and placed in the bottom (or right hand corner)

Thanks!

I don't know what you mean by that.

Please download HijackThis, then click on Do a System Scan Only. Post the log here.

http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

You have both Norton and Window's Live One Care running. One of those has to be removed. Personally, I'd remove both and install Microsoft Security Essentials. I would also uninstall the Ask Toolbar.

Following that, update to SP3 and IE8. Then run the .exe fix again and see what happens.

Are you not able to change your Start menu view by right clicking on the Start button and choosing Properties? Don't forget to click Apply when you choose what view you want.

I did all uninstallation and installation.

Still, .exe does not work without xp_exe_fix running in every restart. Before doing so, pop-up windows regarding on rundll32.exe, reg.exe, etc come out. I am afraid that I use xp_exe_fix wrongly. I just click icon of this every time. Is this wrong? I need to do something with command window?

I do not change start menu view at all, but choose Start menu and applied it. But it does not change...

For Security Essentials, I try to turn on real time protection by clicking turn-on and changing settings. But again it does not change.

Thanks!

You have both Norton and Window's Live One Care running. One of those has to be removed. Personally, I'd remove both and install Microsoft Security Essentials. I would also uninstall the Ask Toolbar.

Following that, update to SP3 and IE8. Then run the .exe fix again and see what happens.

Are you not able to change your Start menu view by right clicking on the Start button and choosing Properties? Don't forget to click Apply when you choose what view you want.

Seth,

I am trying chkdsk /r. And my computer is restarting. At this moment, 20 minutes or so has passed. Is it normal or something wrong is going on?

Well, I know you don't want to clean install, so here's two other suggestions. But, after that, a clean install it is.

Run a chkdsk /r

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Then run sfc/scannow

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Seth,

I tried both, but nothing has changed. chkdsk /r took 40 minutes.

I do not face any trouble once running xp_exe_fix every time I log on my computer. So I leave my computer as-is because I am afraid to lose some software. I am in middle of writing dissertation. If there is trouble to leave this situation, please let me know.

Seth, thank you so much indeed. I really appreciate your professional help.

tz2010,

Seth is the man you can trust. If my trouble helps you, that would be a relief for me.

Well, I know you don't want to clean install, so here's two other suggestions. But, after that, a clean install it is.

Run a chkdsk /r

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Then run sfc/scannow

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

You're welcome.

A chkdsk /r can take hours to run. It all depends on the size and condition of the hard drive.

I wasn't expecting the chkdsk to repair the numerous issues, but rather to prepare the drive for a clean install of XP. Chkdsk /r is similar to repairing the holes in the road before driving over it. I can elaborate if needed.

Leave the computer on and finish your work. Following that, we'll proceed with a clean install.

Hello Seth,

Here is interim report and ask for your help again.

After running Combofix and SPA several times, my computer properly opened exe. files without running exe file association fix. Still, I could not turn on Microsoft Security Essentials.

However, after running chkdsk /f, chkdsk /r and sfc/scannow, then re-start, my computer does not start even in safe mode.

In safe mode, lines come out and my computer stops. Last line is .../Mup.sys

I tried repair install. But it does not work.

Could you please tell me how to fix this?

Stu

You're welcome.

A chkdsk /r can take hours to run. It all depends on the size and condition of the hard drive.

I wasn't expecting the chkdsk to repair the numerous issues, but rather to prepare the drive for a clean install of XP. Chkdsk /r is similar to repairing the holes in the road before driving over it. I can elaborate if needed.

Leave the computer on and finish your work. Following that, we'll proceed with a clean install.

Seth,

When I tried repair install, I faced following trouble.

1. Repair install successfully completed (Please wait while Setup initializes your Windows XP configuration)

2. Reboot automatically with CD-ROM inside

3. Dell's start-up image comes out, then "Press any key to start from CD-ROM" message shows up

4. Ignore this message, then start Windows XP automatically

5. Fail to start

Again, could you help me?

Stu

One more thing.

I installed MS Office before rebooting computer. My computer did not have MS Office. Is this why my computer is stuck with Mup.sys?