Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

SSUPDATE.exe CPU usage is high

For whatever reason, sometimes when this particular process starts, it causes the CPU to ramp up to about 30% usage and stay there until I either stop the process or restart my computer. It doesn't always do this, but when it does, it causes fairly severe slowdown for other applications. SuperAntiSpyware is allowed in my NIS 2010 settings and is excluded from scanning/real-time. The only exception is that I have Malwarebytes' IP blocking active, which may cause the updater to hang at times. What are the IPs for SASPro that I can forward in MBAM to see if that is the issue?

For whatever reason, sometimes when this particular process starts, it causes the CPU to ramp up to about 30% usage and stay there until I either stop the process or restart my computer. It doesn't always do this, but when it does, it causes fairly severe slowdown for other applications. SuperAntiSpyware is allowed in my NIS 2010 settings and is excluded from scanning/real-time. The only exception is that I have Malwarebytes' IP blocking active, which may cause the updater to hang at times. What are the IPs for SASPro that I can forward in MBAM to see if that is the issue?

Hi Andrew.

Exclusions, exceptions, and IP's aren't relevant to the update hang.

What version of SAS are you using?

If you turn off the MBAM IP blocking does it still hang?

I only noticed this today, but I'm having the same issue but its SSUPDATE64.EXE for me.

I'm running version 4.39.1002

Cheers,

Duane.

Running both SAS and MBAM at the same time seems overkill to me.

(and could lead to conflicts I'm afraid)

It's not overkill and there should be no conflicts. In today's market, A Single Solution is NOT Enough - we catch many things that MBAM misses, and they catch things we miss - it's just the reality- we receive and analyze 10's of thousands of samples per WEEK, just as every vendor does - no single product can catch everything on a given day, so multiple "layers" of protection are necessary.

The only "issues" I see people have with MBAM is the ip protection that seems a little "over aggressive", but if you report the issues to MBAM, they resolve them.

I only noticed this today, but I'm having the same issue but its SSUPDATE64.EXE for me.

I'm running version 4.39.1002

Cheers,

Duane.

What other security software are you running?

If you turn off the MBAM IP blocking does it still hang?

HUH?

If a SAS update IP is blocked, there shouldn't be a hang as described. One would simply get a message that the update was unsuccessful (in a matter of seconds).

HUH?

If a SAS update IP is blocked, there shouldn't be a hang as described. One would simply get a message that the update was unsuccessful (in a matter of seconds).

The SSUPDATE.EXE and SSUPDATE64.EXE are separate processes, these are the product updaters, not the definition updaters which report the other error - if the IP was blocked it could cause WinHTTP or WinINET to hang (depending on how MBAM does the blocking - there have been other reported hangs on IP blocking with other software). This is why I am asking the appropriate questions to the poster, so we can try to determine what actually might be going on here.

Seth - remember, I am the developer of the software, and have in-depth knowledge about the inner workings :)

For me, at least, this has only happened twice. I haven't been able to narrow down what is causing it or why. I can't even re-create it, as it seems to happen at random.

System info:

--W7 Home Premium x64

--running the latest version of SASPro 4.39.1002

--I used the uninstaller to remove the older x64 version and deleted all related files left.

--Installed the new version.

FWIW, the older version (I forget the version number) had the same issue (only occurred once) which cropped up one more time in the new version.

I've currently completely disabled MBAM, as it seemed to have started having issues as well, since the auto-update function suddenly stopped working altogether.

Regardless of whether or not exclusions, etc. may be a problem, I have removed them from being a variable within all of this (they were done from the beginning, so that shouldn't have factored in to begin with).

Edit: the process is SSUPDATE64.exe, not SSUPDATE.exe

For me, at least, this has only happened twice. I haven't been able to narrow down what is causing it or why. I can't even re-create it, as it seems to happen at random.

System info:

--W7 Home Premium x64

--running the latest version of SASPro 4.39.1002

--I used the uninstaller to remove the older x64 version and deleted all related files left.

--Installed the new version.

FWIW, the older version (I forget the version number) had the same issue (only occurred once) which cropped up one more time in the new version.

I've currently completely disabled MBAM, as it seemed to have started having issues as well, since the auto-update function suddenly stopped working altogether.

Regardless of whether or not exclusions, etc. may be a problem, I have removed them from being a variable within all of this (they were done from the beginning, so that shouldn't have factored in to begin with).

Edit: the process is SSUPDATE64.exe, not SSUPDATE.exe

Thank you for helping us resolve this - let us know any "data" you have and we'll help track it down!

What other security software are you running?

MSE and MBAM.

All start on system startup, including SAS.

The SSUPDATE.EXE and SSUPDATE64.EXE are separate processes, these are the product updaters, not the definition updaters which report the other error - if the IP was blocked it could cause WinHTTP or WinINET to hang (depending on how MBAM does the blocking - there have been other reported hangs on IP blocking with other software). This is why I am asking the appropriate questions to the poster, so we can try to determine what actually might be going on here.

Seth - remember, I am the developer of the software, and have in-depth knowledge about the inner workings :)

Those pesky inner workings :)

Thanks for the clarification.