Anti-Spymaster

Question about using SAS Uninstallation Assistant

Hi there,

I've always used the SAS Uninstallation Assistant to uninstall SAS Free from my system before installing the new version.

Presently, I still have SAS Free 4.37.1000 (never got around to installing 4.38.1004), and I now see that 4.39.1002 is available.

Up until now, I've always uninstalled using the version of the SAS Uninstallation Assistant marked 1.0.0.1002. (I guess there might have been a newer version of it at some point in there, but I never encountered any problems.)

But I see that there's a new version of it, dated 6/24/2010 -- Version 1.0.0.1018.

I've also seen people reporting problems with using the new uninstaller on this board.

So I'm wondering:

1. When I uninstall SAS Free 4.37.1000 to update to 4.39.1002, which version of the SAS uninstaller should I use?

2. What's the difference between the two versions?

3. Or is it better to just use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall?

My stats, in case it matters: Windows XP SP2, Firefox 3.63, AVG Free 8.5.437, SAS Free 4.37.1000, IE 6 (used for Windows Updates only).

Thanks for the help!

Here is my recommendation:

1. Close down SAS completely (no brown beetle in the systray)

2. Go to Control Panel>Add and Remove Programs and uninstall SAS V4.37

3. Reboot

4. After rebooting, do a search using the search word SuperAntiSpyware and delete any folder that has the word SuperAntiSpyware in its name....such as folder Superantispyware and SuperAntispyware.com

5. Then install SAS V4.39.1002.

Note: V4.39.1002 has a completely new installer and uninstaller. From this point on, you should only need to uninstall via Control Panel>Programs and Features. First shut down SAS and then uninstall.

i kind of agree with siliconman.. if i was uninstalling SAS, i would run the uninstall, from "add/remove", reboot, then delete any SAS files that were leftover.. i also would try to remove any SAS regkeys that were leftover, if there were any..

i have never used the SAS uninstall utility.. if i was going to use it, i still would run the uninstall from "add/remove" first and then run the uninstall utility..

i think that, if you are going to use the uninstall utility, you should use the latest version of it..

You guys seem to be dancing around the issue of whether the SAS Uninstaller is reliable or not. Why do you both recommend using the Add/Remove Programs Utility before the SAS Uninstaller if you have full confidence in it?

bilvihur, i guess we are just saying how we would go about uninstalling SAS.. like i said, i have never tried using the uninstall utility..

i am glad that you posted about the problems that you had with the uninstall utility, and i was sorry that it caused problems for you..

The SAS Uninstaller Assistant was originally implemented to be used if, for some reason, the standard Control Panel>Programs and Features (Add and Remove Programs) uninstaller encountered problems removing SAS. This is much like the Norton Uninstaller tool and several other security vendors special uninstaller tools...to be used if uninstall problems are encountered by users. I do not believe that the SAS gurus expected the Uninstaller Assistant to be used as the normal uninstaller by users. At any rate, I've always had success with the Control Panel>Programs and Features uninstaller and find no use on my systems for the Uninstaller Assistant. However, I would not hesitate to use it if the need arises and have done so on occasion just to see that it works.

Nick stated during the pre-release testing of this new x64 version of SAS that once the new blended installer/uninstaller was finalized and installed on user systems, there was no need of the SAS Uninstaller Assistant whatsoever. To me that means that once a user has upgraded to SAS V4.38+, they have no need for using the Uninstaller Assistant tool.

As to what caused the problem on your use of it, bilvihur, I have no idea and can only rely on the evaluation, determination, and fix stated by the SAS team. At any rate, something went horribly wrong on your system with a version of the Uninstaller Assistant, resulting in you having to spend time and resources rebuilding your system. Like Redwolfe and Nick, I too am sorry for this catastrophe.

As someone who does a lot of beta testing of various software and who likes to keep up-to-date versions of all my applications and Windows running on my systems, I came to recognize several years ago that no software is in a bugless, final version form. There are thousands of hardware and software configurations that developers have to contend with- plus the possibilities of hardware or software failures creating unforeseen conditions and system crashes. Rarely a week goes by that at least 2 program updates are released for programs that I use. That is why I always equip my systems with a complete backup harddrive and use backup software such as Casper V6.0 to fully clone my operating systems. For less than $200 initial investment, I have the ability to fully restore my system in less than 15-30 minutes. Even if a user does no beta testing, an investment in backup capability is a good/wise investment. There are numerous documented cases where "final" software has crashed user systems and resulted in complete system rebuilds.

Summary: Sorry that you had major problems with the SAS Uninstaller Assistant. A reliable backup addition to your system is recommended.

Siliconman01: Your response was one of the most forthright and honest posts that I have read in a long time. Yes, sometimes despite best intentions, "**** Happens". I just wish it hadn't happened to me! The SAS Uninstaller bug was a major aggravation, but also a learning experience. I learned the use of partitioning, and the importance of separating system from user data. GFI Backup was discarded in favor of Cobian because GFI hasn't responded to my forum post in 9 days. I make regular images of my Win 7 Opsys, and have tested its reliability. So, all in all, it's been a net plus. I just wish it could have happened when I was better prepared!

Thanks for the discussion! Sorry to beat a dead horse, but before I could get to download/install SAS Free 4.39.1002, I saw that 4.40.0.1002 is now out. (So I'm still at SAS Free 4.37.1000 -- but at least I downloaded the new version so I have it ready to install.)

So I will uninstall 4.37.1000 via Add/Remove Programs as instructed in this thread (thanks!), but I see that SAS Free 4.40.0.1002 seems to be a different kind of file (with a slightly different icon). It's called "SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition Setup" (in the past, the word "Setup" wasn't part of it).

Why is this?

Is this going to install the same as always? Is there anything different in the process of installation?

Does this have something to do with the fact that it has the new installer/uninstaller, which siliconman01 mentioned?

Thanks again for the help! (Reminder of my stats: Windows XP SP2, Firefox 3.63, AVG Free 8.5.437, SAS Free 4.37.1000, IE 6 (used for Windows Updates only))

Thanks for the discussion! Sorry to beat a dead horse, but before I could get to download/install SAS Free 4.39.1002, I saw that 4.40.0.1002 is now out. (So I'm still at SAS Free 4.37.1000 -- but at least I downloaded the new version so I have it ready to install.)

So I will uninstall 4.37.1000 via Add/Remove Programs as instructed in this thread (thanks!), but I see that SAS Free 4.40.0.1002 seems to be a different kind of file (with a slightly different icon). It's called "SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition Setup" (in the past, the word "Setup" wasn't part of it).

Why is this?

Is this going to install the same as always? Is there anything different in the process of installation?

Does this have something to do with the fact that it has the new installer/uninstaller, which siliconman01 mentioned?

Thanks again for the help! (Reminder of my stats: Windows XP SP2, Firefox 3.63, AVG Free 8.5.437, SAS Free 4.37.1000, IE 6 (used for Windows Updates only))

Are you downloading the SAS v4.40.1002 from the Superantispwyare home site? When I click on Red hotkey labeled Free Edition Download, it downloads the setup file named SuperAntiSpyware.exe. The Professional download is SuperAntiSpywarePro.exe

https://www.superantispyware.com/

On 32-bit Windows systems, the installation of SAS V4.40.1002 wizard and installation is basically the same as earlier versions. The installer does add new wizard windows for entering the license code and activiation if the Professional version is being installed.

On 64-bit Windows systems, the new blended installer installs SuperAntiSpyware under the 64-bit program files at C:\Program Files. This is because the new SAS is now true 64-bit for 64-bit systems. The old versions installed under C:\Program Files (x86). It also adds a new driver named SASCORE.

Are you downloading the SAS v4.40.1002 from the Superantispwyare home site? When I click on Red hotkey labeled Free Edition Download, it downloads the setup file named SuperAntiSpyware.exe. The Professional download is SuperAntiSpywarePro.exe

That's the same file I got, but when you right-click and choose "Properties" -- the description is "SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition Setup" (it didn't used to say "Setup" at the end -- and the icon is a little different now).

Thanks!

That's the same file I got, but when you right-click and choose "Properties" -- the description is "SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition Setup" (it didn't used to say "Setup" at the end -- and the icon is a little different now).

Thanks!

It's okay to use it. SAS just decided to be more specific by adding "Setup" to the name....no problemo.

It's okay to use it. SAS just decided to be more specific by adding "Setup" to the name....no problemo.

Cool. I actually uninstalled/installed in the meantime, and it all seems to be working fine!

So when the next update comes along (I guess it's going to be a major one?), should I just update though the program, or will it be better to uninstall with add/remove programs and then install the new version like I did this time?

Thanks again!

Now that you are upgraded to this new blended installer series of SAS, it is best to update it via the program's LiveUpdate. If you right click on the SAS beetle icon in the notification tray (systray), it checks for program updates as well as definitions updates. It will tell you when a new program version is available and will provide the option to effect the program update.

Now that you are upgraded to this new blended installer series of SAS, it is best to update it via the program's LiveUpdate. If you right click on the SAS beetle icon in the notification tray (systray), it checks for program updates as well as definitions updates. It will tell you when a new program version is available and will provide the option to effect the program update.

Hey, again. Hope you don't mind me re-asking this, but I just saw that SAS Free 4.41.1000 is now out (I'm currently at 4.40.1002). It says that this is a major update, so I just wanted to make sure it was okay to update the program to this new version via the program's LiveUpdate. (I only ask again because it said it was a "major" or "huge" update, or something like that...)

Thanks again!

Yes, it is okay to use the SAS LiveUpdate and let SAS upgrade itself to V4.41.1000. :wink:

Cool -- thanks! And I'm guessing there are no issues with XP SP2 and SAS Free V4.41.1000?

(I know I should update to SP3, and I'm looking into the pros/cons of doing that on my system... With my luck, it would screw up everything! :) )

Guest rosetta stone

I actually uninstalled in the meantime, and it all seems to be working fine! I would not hesitate to use it if the need arises and have done so on occasion just to see that it works.

:arrow:

Rosetta stone learning software worthy of trust, the effect is very obvious, guarantee our product, progress quickly rosetta stone