Francois Blais

high handles usage?

Hi.

Running SAS real-time 4.39.1002 here.

With task manager, I see SAS using 21474 handles right now

This is way more than everything else running on my PC at the moment. (not much things)

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance,

François

Things are getting worse!

This morning, the handles are now at 63447!

I also noticed an increase in the virtual memory usage.

Two days ago, after reboot, it was at 72548K.

12 hours later, it was at 90708K.

12 hours later, it was at 101140K.

24 hours later, it was at 139596K.

12 hours later, it's at 167988K.

Seems to me there's something wrong going on with this release or something.

Regards,

François

just for the record, i am not seeing the same problem.. "superantispyware.exe" is only using 359 "handles", on my computer.. i am running SAS-pro build 4.39.1002, fully up-to-date, with realtime-protection enabled, and win xpsp3..

I run AVAST free 5.0.545, by the way.

What about the others who replied so far?

Thanks again,

François

P.S. Presently at 63437 handles, and virtual memory at 178600K.

I am using Twister AV.

Update:

Did the uninstall, then rebooted and reinstalled.

At first, the handles were at about 500. Fine.

As soon as I updated and did a quick scan, they raised at around 20K again!

I then did another quick scan, and the handles went to around 40K!

Doing my third quick scan in a row, and the handles are now around 60K.

There's a pattern here.

Seems to be related with scans.

I think the handles increase actually happens during the registry scan.

My patience begins to fade now, and SAS' response is a bit thin so far. (with all due respect)

You would probably be best served by submitting a Customer Service Request via the link below. Reference this forum thread in the support request so that the SAS gurus can read it.

https://www.superantispyware.com/precreateticket.html

Would you mind posting a screen shot here on the forum of the Task Manager showing the handles that you are referencing? Please be sure that the screen shot shows the column labels of the Task Manager. Like Redwolf, I am not experiencing this handle issue on either of my computers with SAS PRO V4.39.1002 on Windows 7 x64 and Windows 7 x86 Professional.

There is no question that the handles and working memory increases during the scan. However, both should drop back once the SAS scan is completed. The attached pic shows the handles on Windows 7 x64 Pro.

Update:

Yesterday night I downloaded the 4.90.1060 "beta", and the uninstall utility.

It's running perfectly well now.

Did threee scans in a row and the handles were okay.

I don't know if it's the 4.90.1060 version or the uninstall that did the trick, but now it works!

François

You should be running the 4.39.1002 version, that replaces the 4.90.xxxx versions. We have been unable to reproduce the handle usage here and we have had no other reports, if you continue to have the problem with 4.39, we would like to work with you to track it down.

I've just noticed high handles with my SAS. The mem usage drops back down after a scan but the handle count doesn't. This image is after 2 scans. The computer is on 24/7 but I usually reboot once a day.

Win XP Pro SP3

Avast5 Free

SUPERAntiSpyware Pro

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Paid

McAfee Firewall

post-11620-127701231578_thumb.jpg

I've just noticed high handles with my SAS. The mem usage drops back down after a scan but the handle count doesn't. This image is after 2 scans. The computer is on 24/7 but I usually reboot once a day.

Win XP Pro SP3

Avast5 Free

SUPERAntiSpyware Pro

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Paid

McAfee Firewall

There definitely appears to be a handles bug in SAS on Windows XP. Please create a Customer Support Request via the link below. Reference this forum link in the CSR report. The SAS gurus will work with you to sort out the bug and issue a corrected version. I assume that you are running SAS PRO V4.39.1002, eh?

https://www.superantispyware.com/precreateticket.html

You should be running the 4.39.1002 version, that replaces the 4.90.xxxx versions. We have been unable to reproduce the handle usage here and we have had no other reports, if you continue to have the problem with 4.39, we would like to work with you to track it down.

Thanks.

I'll uninstall 4.90 and reinstall 4.39 then.

I'll let you know how it goes when it's done and did a few tests.

Best regards,

François

Bug is back.

Just created a support ticket (CSR00050927) and referenced this thread.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

François

I just did some tests on W7x32 with SAS Pro

While SAS first starts (with real time protection), updates, then settles down, handle numbers are low, between 300-500.

Handles don't increase unless a scan is invoked.

During a quick scan the handles went up to 23,600 and hovered in that region

The number of handles did not reduce after the scan completion. I ended SAS then restarted it and handles were back to 322.

Seems like there is a problem.

post-5503-127707474465_thumb.jpg

post-5503-127707476638_thumb.jpg

While SAS first starts (with real time protection), updates, then settles down, handle numbers are low, between 300-500.

The number of handles did not reduce after the scan completion. I ended SAS then restarted it and handles were back to 322.

just out of curiosity i checked on my xp pro sp3- idling it is sitting at 695k, i am running a scan now and it is at 95,456- goes up and down from 71,000 , when it is done i will tell you what it is up too

On my other xp pro sp3 machine it idles at 954k- running a scan it is going from 125,875 to 135,000 and again when it is done i will tell you what it sits at

Those are the only 2 computers i have on now- I have not tested it yet on windows 7

robin

just out of curiosity i checked on my xp pro sp3- idling it is sitting at 695k, i am running a scan now and it is at 95,456- goes up and down from 71,000 , when it is done i will tell you what it is up too

On my other xp pro sp3 machine it idles at 954k- running a scan it is going from 125,875 to 135,000 and again when it is done i will tell you what it sits at

Those are the only 2 computers i have on now- I have not tested it yet on windows 7

robin

robin

ok first xp pro sp3 running superantispyware pro- quick scan- now idling at 700k handle total is 22, 461

2nd xp pro sp3 running superantispyware pro- quick scan- now idling at 904k total handle is 44, 365

robin

ok first xp pro sp3 running superantispyware pro- quick scan- now idling at 700k handle total is 22, 461

2nd xp pro sp3 running superantispyware pro- quick scan- now idling at 904k total handle is 44, 365

robin

oh and just so you know, computer 1 is running Avast free, latest version

computer 2 is running avg pro- totally up to date

robin

robin

just checked now and both are idling under 400k

robin