I have always used AVG as spyware and virus checker,I have now gone to this Super anti spyware,this seems to pick up more than AVG Could you tell me the difference between the two ?

Welcome to the AVG forum Charles.

Unlike AVG, SAS is not technically an AntiVirus product. With that being said, most infections are not viruses. That's despite the media and others reporting "viruses".

There's no such thing as an antimalware product that is 100% effective. However, some are much more effective than others.

For the average computer user, it's a good idea to have layered protection. That is, an antivirus app and a carefully selected antispyware app.

With that being said, I typically remove AVG from my customer's computers, then install Microsoft Security Essentials, SuperAntiSpyware Professional, and the free version of MalwareBytes (manual weekly scan).

For the average computer user, it's a good idea to have layered protection. That is, an antivirus app and a carefully selected antispyware app.

With that being said, I typically remove AVG from my customer's computers, then install Microsoft Security Essentials, SuperAntiSpyware Professional, and the free version of MalwareBytes (manual weekly scan).

I use MSE only on vista and Windows 7 machines because i have found on many XP machines it slows them down and it did not matter if it was xp home, pro or media. AVG is ok as long as it works for you, I do have AVG free on many of my clients machines with no problems. I put Avast free on those who have problems with AVG but AVAST takes a bit to configure and AVG has a more beginner user face. I do agree to use Superantispyware Pro and i do have the free version of Malwarebytes on all my client computers.

robin

Hi Robin.

I haven't noticed any undue system degradation with XP and MSE.

Before the MSE install, I remove the current internet security with the associated removal tool.

I also uninstall Window's defender. MSE is supposed to do that on the install, but I do it manually just to be sure.

Be on the watch for Spybot as well. Especially Tea Timer.