bilvihur

Unable To Boot After SAS 4.39 Install

Running Win 7 Home Premium X64. Everything working fine. Downloaded SAS 4.39. When I installed it, got message to allow SAS to uninstall 4.38. it seemed to run for a looooong time! I then installed 4.39 successfully. Immediately thereafter, I clicked a desktop shortcut to run a program, and got a message stating the program it was pointing to had been moved or changed. Same for all the other shortcuts. I looked in Program Files (x86)(where I install SAS), and ALL of my user installed programs are gone! When I tried to restore Windows to a previous version, I got a screen saying the Boot Sector had been corrupted! To add insult to injury, the Macrium System Image Restore Utility, for which I have faithfully created a new image every night on another HDD, will not run!

The damage is done, and I'll be spending all day reinstalling Win 7 with updates, programs, etc. SAS is one program that will NOT be installed unless I'm convinced that it was not SAS's fault. Thank you.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Where did you get SAS download from? You have Windows 7 x64 yet you say SAS installed into Program Files(x86). The new 64bit SAS should install into Program Files on 64bit windows. I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64 and have no issues with SAS.

Sorry but I'm in 2 minds if your post is genuine or not. Sorry if it is, no offence:)

It's genuine! SAS asked whether I wanted to install to Program Files. I browsed and selected x86 to be consistent with all my other programs. I've never had a problem with this before 4.39. Got it thru FileHippo, I believe.

PS: There's another post from 6/4 where someone had a similar problem installing 4.38.

Zerion, thanks for the support. SAS is the British Petroleum of the software industry. They think that by denying the problem it will go away. Unfortunately, I couldn't get System restore/Startup repair to work even with the Install Disk. And my Macrium Disk Image restore pgm couldn't find the image on a separate HDD. The SAS Uninstaller was more effective than any virus, trojan, of rootkit yet encountered!

Same problem I had:

https://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/3839-huge-problem-w-438-win-7-x64-please-help/

You can fix your boot folder with your original win7 disc, there are many tutorials online

FIX THIS GODDAMN PROBLEM ASAP before more people have to reinstall their whole systems

We have updated the uninstaller to block against this issue caused by CROSS LINKED files/directories on a windows system i.e. ChkDsk / ScanDsk would resolve this if run - we hadn't counted on a corrupted harddrives, but now we have guarded against this in all uninstallers.

Zerion, thanks for the support. SAS is the British Petroleum of the software industry. They think that by denying the problem it will go away. Unfortunately, I couldn't get System restore/Startup repair to work even with the Install Disk. And my Macrium Disk Image restore pgm couldn't find the image on a separate HDD. The SAS Uninstaller was more effective than any virus, trojan, of rootkit yet encountered!

We have denied nothing, we have handled the issue caused by harddrive cross linked folders/files and guarded against this now in our uninstallers (32 and 64 bit).

You say my file system was corrupted. I have no way of determining that now. Win 7 was not giving any warnings, and it was writing to files on 4 separate HDD's. The Revo Uninstaller certainly never had any problems. I wish I had used it instead of yours.

We have updated the uninstaller to block against this issue caused by CROSS LINKED files/directories on a windows system i.e. ChkDsk / ScanDsk would resolve this if run - we hadn't counted on a corrupted harddrives, but now we have guarded against this in all uninstallers.

Thats like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted!!

I have the same problem using Win xp sp3.

My PC wont re-boot, I can't access the bios as my keyboard, mouse and monitor are unresponsive.

I can hear the hard disc spinning up and also the cd/dvd drives being checked when I switch on but the boot sequence starts with the hdd so trying to boot from the cd drive doesn't work.

Having "now guarded against this", do you have a cure/fix for the damage already caused?

Rusty1

Hi Rusty.

My PC wont re-boot, I can't access the bios as my keyboard, mouse and monitor are unresponsive.

That indicates a hardware failure or conflict, and isn't caused by any software. The mouse/pointer isn't relevant at post, nor do I know what you mean by the monitor being unresponsive. You need to get into the bios to confirm that the cd boots first. Are you sure you're pressing the correct key? Also note that some wireless keyboards are not recognized by the bios, and therefore you'll need a wireless keyboard.

It's possible the bios is already set to boot from the cd first. If it is, but the cd isn't booting, then there is either a problem with the cd drive, or the cd is not bootable for whatever reason.

Also note that post may show a key to press to choose the boot sequence without going into the bios.

What is the make and model of the PC, and what type of XP disk do you have? If you have an XP installation disk (not a recovery disk), then you can run a repair install of XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

With that being said, you didn't mention the type of boot error you're receiving. If you can post the error, it may be determined that a repair install is not necessary. For example, you may be able to get the system to boot via Last Known Good Configuration, or running a chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console.

Hi Seth,

My PC is a custom build from Palicomp.

I have a Windows XP Pro CD which wont run on boot up.

My monitor doesn't display anything and I can't enter the bios to change the boot sequence. My keyboard light comes on when I switch the PC on and its a wired USB keyboard not wireless.

Let me explain the sequence of events leading up to my PC not booting.

I downloded and installed SAS from the SAS website.

Once it had installed I started a scan. At some point during the scan the screen froze and I lost all control of the keyboard and mouse, I therefore couldn't get the task manager to load so I couldn't kill the SAS process so my only option was to power the PC to off.

When I restarted the PC I could hear the hard drive spinning up, the CPU fan starting and the CD and I can hear the DVD ROM drives being checked by the distinctive double buzz sound.

The power light is on and the hard drive light is on constantly not flashing as it would normally when the disc is being read or written to but the keyboard doesn't appear to respond and neither does my mouse and the monitor is blank.

The monitor indicator light is normally yellow when on standby but it changes to green when the PC has been booted up but at the moment it remains yellow as if on standby.

Rusty

Hi Rusty, just thought i would chime in and agree with seth's diagnosis. i use a raid adapter in one of my machines that randomly causes a similar problem after i've removed power to the comp (no signal sent to monitor - and the way i fix it is resetting the power repeatedly and praying until if finally works). i know this doesn't help you other than to let you know you definitely have either a hardware conflict or failure as seth has suggested. sas may have contributed to your trouble, but if your monitor led stays yellow it is not getting signal from the video output (which is not caused by software loaded on the hard disk). contacting palicomp is probably the next step.

regards,

keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your input but the the level of coincidence is to high to ignore that the software is a part of the problem.

MrRusty

If SAS causes an issue, the SAS team has no problem in admitting such.

The system in question has a hardware failure, and that has nothing to do with SAS or any other software. It just so happens you were running SAS at the time of the hardware failure.

Anyway, either your monitor or monitor connection is the issue (though highly unlikely). It's most likely that the computer is not outputting the video signal.

Options:

1) Disconnect the computer from power for a minutes and try again.

2) Remove the motherboard battery for a few seconds to reset the bios.

3) Do you have a separate video card and/or a VGA output on the motherboard? If both, then try the other for a video signal.

Other than that, a tech would try another video card, followed by checking the ram and power supply.

The system in question has a hardware failure, and that has nothing to do with SAS or any other software. It just so happens you were running SAS at the time of the hardware failure.

i agree 100% with Seth

Rusty, there is a good chance your computer is loading all the way to your desktop - but you can't see it (no display, hardware trouble)

my 2 cents.. y'all can say it is a "hardware problem", but i have had programs cause problems with my computer to where my hardware would not function properly, because the program screwed something up, where reformatting and, sometimes, having to clear the NVRAM, as well, straitened out the problem.. so it wasn't that the hardware failed except that the program screwed something up to where the hardware would not function properly..

i just want to say again that sometimes it takes more than simply reformatting to restore a computer.. sometimes you have to clear the NVRAM, as well.. i wanted to mention that for those who are having problems..

rusty, i don't know what you would have to do to clear the NVRAM.. it depends on the computer.. however, even without being able to use the keyboard, you should be able to access the bios settings and adjust the settings, there, if you know how to boot to the bios screen.. you don't use your keyboard when adjusting bios settings.. so, once you get to the bios settings, you should be able to adjust the boot-sequence, so that your computer can boot from the cd-rom drive, if you move it up in the sequence.. i set my computer to boot from the floppy drive first, the cd-rom drive second, and the harddrive 3rd..

Just thought I'd join in as well, as at the moment I have to reboot my Laptop(have xp, using Avast, SAS, MABM.)twice before I can axcess the internet. After reading your replies I too am wondering whether my suspicions re SAS could be a cause.

I get told that -FAT32 with volume serial no 1568-13FD is the problem(can't remember their words, but the second time round the computer does the windows boot scan with above info. Once finished everything comes up ok, and I can go ahead.

I use a wireless 3G modem.

Everything comes up clear re viruses so have been wondering about corruption, The SAS is set up to check everything before I can go ahead, which is becoming a pain at present. Should I uninstall SAS and reinstall it again? Any Ideas? would be a great help.

Thanks

AL

Ok guys,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

I'm going to try a few things before I end up buying a new motherboard and will update you when I have tried them.

I'll check in to this thread later to see if anyone has added to it.

Rusty

Hi Guys,

Just a quick progress report.

I tried a few of the things mentioned here but couldn't realy do anything as I couldn't access the bios menu.

The upshot is I bought and installed a new motherboard and everything is now hunky dory.

I uninstalled SAS as a precaution as I don't believe in coincidences but who knows. It might be interesting to see if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Many thanks to all that have taken the time to reply and offer advice.

MrRusty