Sign in to follow this  
Zerion

Huge problem w/ 4.38 (win 7 x64), please help

Found that installing v4.38 deleted most of programs

Here are the things I did:

1. Downloaded the latest v4.38 from the official website

2. Double clicked the program and saw a cleaning / corrupt recycle-bin pop-up, just like what this post described

Recycle bin pop up

3. I clicked yes, installation did not continue, heard lots of noises from the HDD, so I chekced the task manager.

4. Found that sasuninst.exe running in the background (kinda strange because I have uninstalled all previous versions)

5. Kill the process and found almost half of my programs in Program Files and Program File X86 are gone

6. Found 40GB worth of .tmp in C:\sasuninst.files,which I believe are the programs

Did sasunist.exe delete most of my programs? What should I do to restore those programs?

Any help is very much appreciated

Just found that sasuninst removed my boot files too, now I can't boot my computer as it said BOOTMGR is missing after powering on my computer.

Please, just reply, any input is appreciated.

You have not stated what Windows operating system you are using, so

Try booting from your Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD and then select the repair section. This will permit the critical missing Windows files to be restored so that you can boot up your computer.

The information/instruction link below may assist.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

The uninstall tool only deletes our files, it has a specific file list. If you have any other information please let us know.

After fixing the bootmgr problem, I found most of the tmp file in the sasuninst.files were deleted, which means I can't recover my programs

considering most of the files gone, I may have to reinstall the whole windows

Pic 1: It's the location of the sasuninst.files

Pic 2: You can see most of my programs are gone (those without proper icons)

Pic 3: The type of tmp created (The folder was 40GB full before rebooting, I could recognize some tmp were .exe of my program as I checked the file properties)

This is spectacular as I didn't know installing a safe program can wipe out most of the Program Files

post-11888-127571711248_thumb.jpg

post-11888-127571713311_thumb.jpg

post-11888-127571715215_thumb.jpg

After fixing the bootmgr problem, I found most of the tmp file in the sasuninst.files were deleted, which means I can't recover my programs

considering most of the files gone, I may have to reinstall the whole windows

Pic 1: It's the location of the sasuninst.files

Pic 2: You can see most of my programs are gone (those without proper icons)

Pic 3: The type of tmp created (The folder was 40GB full before rebooting, I could recognize some tmp were .exe of my program as I checked the file properties)

This is spectacular as I didn't know installing a safe program can wipe out most of the Program Files

Have you tried a System Restore ?

Have you tried a System Restore ?

Unfortunately, I have turned off system restore

Although the damaage is done, I demand an apology if the issue is directly caused by the program itself

Unfortunately, I have turned off system restore

Although the damaage is done, I demand an apology if the issue is directly caused by the program itself

Well, I can certainly understand your anxiety. :( And things do seem to point at sasuninst.exe as being the culprit. I just wonder if finding the corrupt recycle bin caused the uninstaller to fly into the wild blue yonder and do bad things. You should create a Customer Service Request and let the SAS gurus evaluate what might have gone awry. Needless to say that will not give you back all the lost time and effort to rebuild your system, but it may result in a solution to prevent it from happening again.

https://www.superantispyware.com/precreateticket.html

We have been trying to create any scenario that we can get the program to delete large groups of files, and the only one that we have come upon is if a section is cross linked to a wrong folder - that means there is an error(s) on the drive - we are putting in some additional measures to prevent and verify this, so if a drive is corrupted or has a portion corrupted this can't happen.

We are very sorry this happened to you, we have had hundreds of thousands of installs/uninstalls since this release without issue.

We have been trying to create any scenario that we can get the program to delete large groups of files, and the only one that we have come upon is if a section is cross linked to a wrong folder - that means there is an error(s) on the drive - we are putting in some additional measures to prevent and verify this, so if a drive is corrupted or has a portion corrupted this can't happen.

We are very sorry this happened to you, we have had hundreds of thousands of installs/uninstalls since this release without issue.

I am glad this is being sorted out. I did have a corrupted area on the harddisk and it was fixed with chkdsk.

Running Win 7 x64, just installed SAS 4.39 today. The uninstall ran for an inordinately long time. Now, none of my desktop shortcuts work because their .exe files have been changed or moved. Sure enough, Program Files (x86) has been hosed. Why are you still allowing downloads and installs of 4.39 when the problem was discovered 1 week ago?