Sign in to follow this  
alinnyc

No reboot after SAS scan

I ran a Superantispyware scan on my Dell laptop (XP SP3), which was working fine but was a little slow. It found only tracking cookies, but when I rebooted I got only a flashing cursor (after the Dell BIOS screen). Windows won't load at all. I tried rebooting from the Windows CD, but it just started loading files until it got to sparrow.sys, which it says is corrupt. I don't want to lose everything on this computer. HELP!

I ran a Superantispyware scan on my Dell laptop (XP SP3), which was working fine but was a little slow. It found only tracking cookies, but when I rebooted I got only a flashing cursor (after the Dell BIOS screen). Windows won't load at all. I tried rebooting from the Windows CD, but it just started loading files until it got to sparrow.sys, which it says is corrupt. I don't want to lose everything on this computer. HELP!

Hello Alinnyc.

As soon as you turn on the computer, keep tapping the F8 key. If you get a boot menu option, choose the hard drive using the arrow keys, press Enter, and still keep tapping away at the F8 key. From the boot menu, try Last Known Good Configuration. If that doesn't work, try Safe Mode.

...and if that doesn't work, boot to the XP cd and press R to go into the Recovery Console. From the Recovery Console, run "chkdsk /r" without the quotes.

Hello Alinnyc.

As soon as you turn on the computer, keep tapping the F8 key. If you get a boot menu option, choose the hard drive using the arrow keys, press Enter, and still keep tapping away at the F8 key. From the boot menu, try Last Known Good Configuration. If that doesn't work, try Safe Mode.

...and if that doesn't work, boot to the XP cd and press R to go into the Recovery Console. From the Recovery Console, run "chkdsk /r" without the quotes.

The F8 key did nothing, and just beeped when I pressed it. Booted to CD, ran chkdsk, which, when complete, said it "found or fixed one of more errors on the volume" and reported 156288320kb disk space, with 114728568kb available. Now I am back at C:\Windows prompt. What should I do next?

I should probably mention here that I believe that this computer has had its hard drive changed to something quite a bit larger than the original one. Could SAS have reset one or more settings back to that for the original disk for this model?

Sorry, I was offline for a while due to an ISP problem.

Tracking cookies are in no way related to the start up problem

Dell computers are finicky when it comes to the keyboard, especially if you're using a wireless keyboard. However, the fact that your getting a beep when you press F8 should bring you to the boot menu options.

Boot to the Dell CD and follow these instructions to repair XP. Note that the repair function will not affect any of your personal data, programs, etc:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Followed all of those instructions. Windows XP was recognized. Files were loaded from CD. Came to end of process and reboot brought me right back to blinking cursor. A couple of extra things you should know here: The disc I'm using is the one that came with this laptop originally. It is XP home SP1a, but the operating system has since been updated to XP home SP3. Also, as I mentioned above, the original hard drive has been replaced by a new much larger one.

That cd is fine and is in no relation to the hard drive.

When a repair installation of XP doesn't resolve the issue, that often means that the computer has a hardware failure. That is, an internal device may be defective. Further indication of a hardware failure is XP not even attempting to start.

You can attempt a Factory Restore, but you'll need to backup your data. Given the computer doesn't start, then it would be most economical to have a shop backup the data and you can proceed with a Factory Restore. Instructions are in the following link and in your case would begin at step 2.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=181316

If that doesn't work, then the issue is indeed hardware, and the computer would require physical servicing.