JudyJ

Registry Items- Disabled Security Options

Is this a false Positive? SAS finds no cookies, no adware (which is impossible, given that my MSN portal is always counted as a cookie)) but keeps coming up with this? In the 3 years I have been using SAS this is the first time I've had registry key positives. I scan daily and on reboot.

See Attached file where it shows "firewall disable notify" is disabled and "antivirus disable notify." These do NOT go away when I click the Quarantine button. I see that they are unchecked when I expand the file. I am afraid to check them since I don't know if this will remove something that should not be removed. I have scanned w/SAS 4 times with the same results.

I ran a complete Avast scan and had 18 trojans, (9 in photoshop (which I haven't used in a couple of weeks) and 9 is restore.My son says this is because I use IE as a browser.

We have had a couple of quick shutdowns given we are in Florida and have unexpected lightning (a storm can be 20 miles away and suddenly you ave a lightning strike on a sunny day), but that is the only unusual activity.

Hi Judy.

I've recently noticed the same as well.

SAS is detecting compromised registry keys that normally notify you if your firewall/antivirus is disabled or not working. You can go ahead and place a check in the items found.

Are you running an antivirus program, and is your firewall enabled?

Hi Judy.

I've recently noticed the same as well.

SAS is detecting compromised registry keys that normally notify you if your firewall/antivirus is disabled or not working. You can go ahead and place a check in the items found.

Are you running an antivirus program, and is your firewall enabled?

Hi Seth-

Thanks.

Yes, I run Avast antivirus. Everything (including Firewall)is enabled "on" in my security center.

This is a true weirdness. If anyone figures out where this came from, I for one would like to know.

Thanks for you help

You're welcome.

Keep in mind that SAS is not stating that your firewall or antivirus is disabled, but rather the registry keys that notify you of such have been "disabled".

SAS will repair those keys, not remove them.

You're welcome.

Keep in mind that SAS is not stating that your firewall or antivirus is disabled, but rather the registry keys that notify you of such have been "disabled".

SAS will repair those keys, not remove them.

Good to know.

So, what you are saying is that SAS repairs them so that they will notify me if AV and FW are off? (They will be Enabled?)

Thanks.

Good to know.

So, what you are saying is that SAS repairs them so that they will notify me if AV and FW are off? (They will be Enabled?)

Thanks.

I haven't had any official confirmation yet, but normally yes, that's exactly what similar products do.

I'll find out for you and let you know, or the admin will confirm it.

I had these too (SAS 4.39.1002 free on XP SP3). As I had deliberately set security centre not to notify me for autoimatic updates and AV, I allowed them.

The only point I want to add is that when I clicked on 'explain detected item' it shows

Summary : Disabled.SecurityCenterOption

Company : Unknown/Varies

Description : Unclassified Item - We are currently researching this item to provide more updated information.

Perhaps worth updating that screen.

That's what I did after the scanning.

check the FP → Trust/Allow Item → confirm the Trust/Allow checkbox prompted.

The items will then be in trust & SAS will not scan or prompt again.

sasfp10-7-302-51-24.png