Willow

tray icon usefulness

Hello,

I've been using the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware for some time, and am quite satisfied with it. But I'm wondering if activating the tray icon serves any purpose other than to make it easy to run a scan, since there is no real-time monitoring with the free version.

Welcome to the SAS forum Willow.

The tray icon is there so you can easily right click on it and donate:)

Seriously, you don't need it showing for the free version.

Welcome to the SAS forum Willow.

The tray icon is there so you can easily right click on it and donate:)

Seriously, you don't need it showing for the free version.

OK, so what exactly does SAS *do* when you set it to start with Windows, if there's no real-time protection and you don't do a scan on startup?

The tray icon is not there so you can "Donate". The icon is there because many malware/spyware infections will BLOCK anti-spyware/anti-virus products from running, so if you get infected and you don't have real-time, it gives you the opportunity to run the scan immediately as if you try and run SAS, MBAM, AVG, etc. after you are infected, the infection will block it.

The icon is there because many malware/spyware infections will BLOCK anti-spyware/anti-virus products from running, so if you get infected and you don't have real-time, it gives you the opportunity to run the scan immediately as if you try and run SAS, MBAM, AVG, etc. after you are infected, the infection will block it.

Thank you. That tells me what I wanted to know.

The icon is there because many malware/spyware infections will BLOCK anti-spyware/anti-virus products from running, so if you get infected and you don't have real-time, it gives you the opportunity to run the scan immediately as if you try and run SAS, MBAM, AVG, etc. after you are infected, the infection will block it.

I was thinking that if an antimalware app was targeted, it wouldn't matter if the antimalware app was running or not. That is, the infection would simply terminate the executable from memory.

Anyway, it's not like SAS consumes any significant resources when running.

I was thinking that if an antimalware app was targeted, it wouldn't matter if the antimalware app was running or not. That is, the infection would simply terminate the executable from memory.

Anyway, it's not like SAS consumes any significant resources when running.

We also have termination protection.