WAH

Ran SAS ... now can't hit internet.

1st post. How ya'll are. I need some help. I searched here for a few hours but couldn't fix my problem so now I am a member.

I ran SAS on a windows xp home computer. It quarantined a few items then after reboot, no internet.

SAS repair broken network connection appeared to run normally and asked for reboot .... but still not internet.

Ipconfig from a command prompt returns "An internal error occurred: Access is denied."

Windows network connections attempt.. "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Clearing the DNS cache"

One other attempt, (I can't remember where) but error was ... unable to open registry key for TCPIP.

Belkin router status is ..... acquiring network address (for a few hours now).

I didn't try to create a new network connection because I don't want to enter passwords because I think I still have some bad stuff on my pc.

I have a DSL modem & Belkin router and everything has had power recycled numerous times.

IF I am in the right place to post this any help would be grrrreeaat!

Also attaching a SAS log.

Thanks,

Art

SASlog.txt

Welcome to the SAS forum Wah.

The log shows infections that seem to have affected the TCP/IP and DNS settings.

Go into network connections, right click on your network and choose properties. Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. The DNS and IP should be on Automatic. Now click on Alternate Configuration and make sure it's set to Automatic Private IP.

Also go into Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings. Nothing should be checked in the Lan Settings window.

Welcome to the SAS forum Wah.

The log shows infections that seem to have affected the TCP/IP and DNS settings.

Go into network connections, right click on your network and choose properties. Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. The DNS and IP should be on Automatic. Now click on Alternate Configuration and make sure it's set to Automatic Private IP.

Also go into Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings. Nothing should be checked in the Lan Settings window.

Hi and thanks,

Everything checked out except the lan settings have "Automatically detect settings" checked! ... I unchecked it. You the boss.

You're welcome.

Back into Internet Options:) Go into Advanced and click on Reset (Not Restore Advanced Settings".

If that doesn't work, temporarily restore the following items from SAS's quarantine, then restart the computer:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET003\SERVICES\TCPIP\PARAMETERS\INTERFACES\{172044B3-38AD-4ED6-A238-16605D7282BA}#NAMESERVER

HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\TCPIP\PARAMETERS#NAMESERVER

HKLM\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET001\SERVICES\TCPIP\PARAMETERS#NAMESERVER

HKLM\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET003\SERVICES\TCPIP\PARAMETERS#NAMESERVER

You're welcome.

Back into Internet Options:) Go into Advanced and click on Reset (Not Restore Advanced Settings".

If that doesn't work, temporarily restore the following items from SAS's quarantine, then restart the computer:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET003\SERVICES\TCPIP\PARAMETERS\INTERFACES\{172044B3-38AD-4ED6-A238-16605D7282BA}#NAMESERVER

HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\TCPIP\PARAMETERS#NAMESERVER

HKLM\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET001\SERVICES\TCPIP\PARAMETERS#NAMESERVER

HKLM\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET003\SERVICES\TCPIP\PARAMETERS#NAMESERVER

Reset didn't work.

Restore and reboot didn't work.

But I feel like I'm making progress.

Strike 3 ..... Winsock fix didn't work .... but you are not out. This is a friendly game, keep swinging till you hit a home run.

We've addressed just about every software possibility, as well as restored the quarantined files that may have caused the issue. I'm hesitant to suggest temporarily restoring the whole quarantine as a test, but it's an idea.

Have you tried connecting directly to the modem?

Anyway, I can't swing the bat anymore...I have to go. Let's see if someone else has some other ideas.

Good luck:)

We've addressed just about every software possibility, as well as restored the quarantined files that may have caused the issue. I'm hesitant to suggest temporarily restoring the whole quarantine as a test, but it's an idea.

Have you tried connecting directly to the modem?

Anyway, I can't swing the bat anymore...I have to go. Let's see if someone else has some other ideas.

Good luck:)

I haven't tried to connect directly to the modem. If I do that then I loose the oonnection to you and I may not get it back. Then I would be in deep dodo.

I have to leave at 3:00 my time for my school car pool.

I haven't tried to connect directly to the modem. If I do that then I loose the oonnection to you and I may not get it back. Then I would be in deep dodo.

I have to leave at 3:00 my time for my school car pool.

Ok.

Please check if the internet is ok in Safe Mode With Networking.

Ok.

Please check if the internet is ok in Safe Mode With Networking.

Just got home. Looks like you handed the baton off to yourself. Thanks.

No internet in save mode w/ networking!

Just got home. Looks like you handed the baton off to yourself. Thanks.

No internet in save mode w/ networking!

Time for some drastic swings:)

Go ahead and restore all of SAS's quarantined files, then restart. I need to find out if the internet issue was actually caused by SAS, or just a coincidence. If you're able to get online at that point, then update SAS and run a full scan.

If not, then run a System Restore: Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->System Restore.

Time for some drastic swings:)

Go ahead and restore all of SAS's quarantined files, then restart. I need to find out if the internet issue was actually caused by SAS, or just a coincidence. If you're able to get online at that point, then update SAS and run a full scan.

If not, then run a System Restore: Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->System Restore.

Just so you know what I have been doing ... I ran services.msc and started the DNS client. no luck

I noticed the LAN settings are back to auto detect ... do I need to uncheck it?

Am doing a restore of SAS files now.

Just so you know what I have been doing ... I ran services.msc and started the DNS client. no luck

I noticed the LAN settings are back to auto detect ... do I need to uncheck it?

Am doing a restore of SAS files now.

Leave it unchecked, otherwise it will slow page loading.

I've got to leave for about an hour.

BTW-Set the DNS client in services to auto start.

Restored all SAS files. Cold booted PC, router & modem ... Still no internet.

Got 2 errors

vid.exe has encountered a prolem .... etc

Microsoft security essentials user interface has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I'm going to restore from 5/19 .... week ago.

Got this message.

"Restoration Incomplete

Your computer cannot be restored to:

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Installed Microsoft SharedView

No changes hae been made to your computer.

To choose another restore point, restart system restore."

I'll go back to May 12 and try again.

Same error msg for May 12.

Same error for May 21.

Same error for May 1.

Probably not completeing because system restore is corrupt due to the infections.

What brand of computer is it, and do you have an XP cd or recovery disks?

Probably not completeing because system restore is corrupt due to the infections.

What brand of computer is it, and do you have an XP cd or recovery disks?

It's a Dell 5100 but I can not find any cd's that came with it. Is there something else we can do?

It's a Dell 5100 but I can not find any cd's that came with it. Is there something else we can do?

Given the infections and corruption, the only other option I can suggest is to run a repair installation of XP. The repair doesn't affect any personal data, but it does require a Dell XP CD (which you don't have). There are ways to obtain the cd, but if you want to pursue it, we would need to continue via private messages.

Given the infections and corruption, the only other option I can suggest is to run a repair installation of XP. The repair doesn't affect any personal data, but it does require a Dell XP CD (which you don't have). There are ways to obtain the cd, but if you want to pursue it, we would need to continue via private messages.

I found an old reinstallation CD for XP professional from another pc. My problem is with XP home addition. PM it is.

Back again. Thanks for everyting Seth .... but! After windows repair I'm ok. Upgrade to ie8, ok. Run MSE still ok. Upgrade to SAS Pro Lifetime Edition and run scan, ok. Run Malwarebytes and then the problem .... no internet access again. I can repeat everything I did before but what do you suggest I do different?

Back again. Thanks for everyting Seth .... but! After windows repair I'm ok. Upgrade to ie8, ok. Run MSE still ok. Upgrade to SAS Pro Lifetime Edition and run scan, ok. Run Malwarebytes and then the problem .... no internet access again. I can repeat everything I did before but what do you suggest I do different?

You're welcome.

Glad to hear the repair worked...for a while.

Please post the latest MalwareBytes log, then I can confirm or deny if MalwareBytes removed a file(s) that has affected your internet connectivity.

You're welcome.

Glad to hear the repair worked...for a while.

Please post the latest MalwareBytes log, then I can confirm or deny if MalwareBytes removed a file(s) that has affected your internet connectivity.

Here it is.

mbam-log-2010-06-01 (13-19-43).txt