Mr Plop

Unable to update SUPERAntiSpyware Professional on User account protected by Parental Control

Hi there

I have installed SUPERAntiSpyware Professional version 4.37.1000 on a PC running Vista Home Premium (SP2) that is used by a family with a number of children. There are 2 Administrator accounts (for Mum and Dad) and 3 User accounts (for the kiddies). The User accounts are all protected by Parental Controls. The Parental Controls are set to control web access and time allowed for logon, but the Users are allowed to run any program.

There seems to be a problem with SAS Pro updating on the User accounts in this environment. SAS Pro can start and run succesfully on the User accounts, but when an update is performed, it seems as if the update is downloaded and then, with about 5-10% left on the completion indicator bar, SAS stops responding to Windows and uses all available CPU (ie, loops). This error is reported when you right click on the SAS application to stop it:

Description:

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1

Application Name: SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

Application Version: 4.37.0.1000

Application Timestamp: 4be3589e

Hang Signature: 8181

Hang Type: 0

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 3081

Additional Hang Signature 1: 5ff1fc282fe34a7e511131563eba1938

Additional Hang Signature 2: a221

Additional Hang Signature 3: f860e9c1755cb3704b3be368bf1e62e1

Additional Hang Signature 4: 8181

Additional Hang Signature 5: 5ff1fc282fe34a7e511131563eba1938

Additional Hang Signature 6: a221

Additional Hang Signature 7: f860e9c1755cb3704b3be368bf1e62e1

I would have thought that this could be caused by the User trying to update a file or folder that is owned by an Administrator but has insufficient access to perform the operation. The strange thing is that if the Parental Controls are turned off for the User then the update works...

Is this a known problem? Has anybody else encountered this problem? Is there a workaround (apart from turning off Parental Control!)?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the SuperAntiSpyware forum Mr.Plop.

To the best of my knowledge, it is not a known issue. Please try the following on the kids accounts:

1) Close SAS from the System Tray.

2) Right click SAS icon on the desktop and choose "Run As Administrator" (If the option is available).

3) Go into the parental controls for each child, and confirm that ALL instances of SAS are checked in "Allow or Block Specific Programs".

If that doesn't help, there are some more advnaced options in the Parental Controls we can check.

Thanks SAS OH :)

I have tried your suggestions and the results are below:

1) Close SAS from the System Tray.

Done (that bit was easy
:-D
)

2) Right click SAS icon on the desktop and choose "Run As Administrator" (If the option is available).

That option
was
available, so I ran
SAS Pro
as
Administrator
but I am not sure how well that worked as I wasn't prompted for an
Administrator
password. (Not sure if I should have been prompted...)

Anyways, this still did not work.
SAS Pro
would stop responding and I had to stop it from
Task Manager

3) Go into the parental controls for each child, and confirm that ALL instances of SAS are checked in "Allow or Block Specific Programs".

The
Users
were originally able to run all programs (ie, in "
Allow or Block Specific Programs
", the radio button for
"<User> can use all programs
" was selected).

However, I selected
"<User> can only use the programs I allow
" and then selected "
Check All
" to see if that would help the problem. This did indeed select the following
SAS Pro
elements:
BootSafe.exe
SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
SASINST.exe
SSUpdate.exe
and
RUNSAS.exe

When I then logged on as the
User
, a different error occurred when I tried to update
SAS Pro
. The error indicated that the
User
had been blocked from running
C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Temp\SSUPDATE.EXE
!

I changed the
Parental Controls
to allow
C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Temp\SSUPDATE.EXE
to run and then
SAS Pro
updated successfully. Yaaay!

If I then change the setting for the
User
back to "
<User> can use all programs
", the problem re-occurs. Very frustrating!

So I think that the problem is with the Parental Controls actually blocking the SSUPDATE.EXE from running even though the Users have "use all programs" set.

I know that this is not really a problem with SAS Pro, but as Microsoft probably won't fix the problem, is there any way that the kind, knowledgeable peeps at SAS could fix this? (Provided my very brief analysis is correct, that is! :wink: )

That option was available, so I ran SAS Pro as Administrator but I am not sure how well that worked as I wasn't prompted for an Administrator password. (Not sure if I should have been prompted...)

No, you don't get prompted for the admin password.

I changed the Parental Controls to allow C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Temp\SSUPDATE.EXE to run and then SAS Pro updated successfully. Yaaay!

If I then change the setting for the User back to "<User> can use all programs", the problem re-occurs. Very frustrating!

So I think that the problem is with the Parental Controls actually blocking the SSUPDATE.EXE from running even though the Users have "use all programs" set.

That's right.

However, I selected "<User> can only use the programs I allow" and then selected "Check All" to see if that would help the problem. This did indeed select the following SAS Pro elements: BootSafe.exe, SUPERAntiSpyware.exe, SASINST.exe, SSUpdate.exe and RUNSAS.exe.

If you choose not to use the above method, then I suggest you please submit a Customer Support Request:

https://www.superantispyware.com/csrcreateticket.html