Sign in to follow this  
Anti-Spymaster

SAS Free gets stuck on first file... itself!

Hi there,

Two times now (well, three, as the first time it happened twice before correcting itself) when I've started a Complete Scan, it gets hung up on the first thing scanned (memory item), which I believe (if I recall the path correctly that I saw during the scan) is:

C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

I can tell the hard drive is spinning/working, but it just stays on that one file until I cancel the scan.

The first time it happened, I canceled the scan and tried again, and it happened again. So I canceled again, then ran the Quick Scan, which worked fine. I canceled out of that and ran the complete scan again and it worked fine (and the scan came up with nothing).

The second time it happened (a couple days ago, which was about a week and a half later), after I canceled the complete scan, I tried restarting it and it worked okay (and found nothing).

Here is a log from one of those first time below. It doesn't look like it saved a log for the second one I had to cancel from the first time it happened.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log

https://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 04/14/2010 at 09:06 PM

Application Version : 4.35.1002

Core Rules Database Version : 4807

Trace Rules Database Version: 2619

Scan type : Complete Scan

Total Scan Time : 00:00:54

Memory items scanned : 1

Memory threats detected : 0

Registry items scanned : 0

Registry threats detected : 0

File items scanned : 0

File threats detected : 0

I just downloaded the newest definitions and tried running a Complete Scan and it worked fine.

Any thoughts as to why this is? Anything to be concerned about?

(I also ran a scan with AVG Free 8.5, most recent definitions, etc. and nothing came up.)

Thanks for the help! :)

Core Rules Database Version : 4807

Trace Rules Database Version: 2619

The above definitions are way out of date which probably caused your issue. After updating, you most likely straightened up the core/trace definitions, resulting is a successful completion of the scan. The latest core/trace definitions are Core=4855; Trace=2667. You should always check for updates prior to runnning a scan to ensure that you have the latest updates.

The SAS team usually issues updates 1-2 times per day.

The above definitions are way out of date which probably caused your issue. After updating, you most likely straightened up the core/trace definitions, resulting is a successful completion of the scan. The latest core/trace definitions are Core=4855; Trace=2667. You should always check for updates prior to runnning a scan to ensure that you have the latest updates.

The SAS team usually issues updates 1-2 times per day.

Thanks for the post! But you misunderstand me (or I should have been more clear). Those were the most recent core/trace definitions at the time. I had just checked for updates before starting the scan. If you look at the date of the lost I posted, it's 04/14/2010 (which coincides with those core/trace definitions being the newest at the time). And when it happened again a couple days ago, it was after updating the core/trace definitions (again) as well.

So wash, rinse, repeat... Any thoughts as to why this is? Anything to be concerned about?

Has the SAS team seen this before or have any thoughts?

Thanks again! :)

The difficulty is that it's an intermittent problem.

Have you run a chkdsk, and does the issue occur in Safe Mode?

The difficulty is that it's an intermittent problem.

Have you run a chkdsk, and does the issue occur in Safe Mode?

Thanks for the reply.

Well, as you said, since it's an intermittent problem, that's impossible to check. Not sure how I could know if the issue happens in Safe Mode, as I'd have to happen to start my computer in Safe Mode and then run a scan with it on the off-chance occurring that one particular time. I haven't run chkdsk in a while. I guess I can do that (though I am having no other problems with anything that I know of).

I was hoping one of the SAS team members here would know what could cause this or if they'd seen it before. Have you seen this issue before?

Thanks again.

Have you seen this issue before?

Thanks again.

You're welcome.

I've seen posts similar to yours, the difference being the issue wasn't intermittent.

You're welcome.

I've seen posts similar to yours, the difference being the issue wasn't intermittent.

I ran chkdsk on my C: drive and nothing popped up that there was an issue. (Or do I need to check a log somewhere?)

So what was the cause with the similar (but more frequent) problem? Maybe there's a clue in there?

I ran chkdsk on my C: drive and nothing popped up that there was an issue. (Or do I need to check a log somewhere?)

So what was the cause with the similar (but more frequent) problem? Maybe there's a clue in there?

No need to check the log.

Most similar issues are due to a software conflict, a failing hard drive, or file system problems (which you addressed with the chkdsk).

If the issue happens again, please let us know.