Sign in to follow this  
Daveski17

Find out what's running on your computer!

Find out what's running on your computer!

I am running the freeware version of SAS & I know this might sound a bit daft but can I use this function & if so what exactly does it do?

I assume it gives a log of a total scan of the computer or something. I just wondered how long the process takes & just exactly what it does. I don't like clicking on things that I don't know what they do! Thanks.

Firefox wouldn't install this plug-in for me. Something about scripts. I just looked through all the Firefox options and couldn't find anything to enable/disable scripts... how can I check if it's a setting? I've had no problem installing all other plug-ins/add-ons.

Firefox wouldn't install this plug-in for me. Something about scripts. I just looked through all the Firefox options and couldn't find anything to enable/disable scripts... how can I check if it's a setting? I've had no problem installing all other plug-ins/add-ons.

I don't think you can use this on Firefox. Have a look here particularly at the part where it says "Please make sure that you are using Internet Explorer with scripting enabled and ActiveX controls allowed."

I don't think you can use this on Firefox. Have a look here particularly at the part where it says "Please make sure that you are using Internet Explorer with scripting enabled and ActiveX controls allowed."

Oh, thanks, I missed that. Well I won't be using it then. I refuse to use IE.

Oh, thanks, I missed that. Well I won't be using it then. I refuse to use IE.

Why not? My default browser is Firefox, but I'd use IE if necessary. Will the plugin work if you load the page using IE Tab or the latest equivalent (either Coral IE Tab or IE Tab2)?

My default browser is Firefox, but I'd use IE if necessary. Will the plugin work if you load the page using IE

Unless there is something wrong with your computer, then the answer is yes.

Unless there is something wrong with your computer, then the answer is yes.

You quoted only part of what I said and, as far as I know, there is nothing wrong with my computer. Everything on it is up to date, including MS Updates, and it's scanned regularly by various programs, including SAS. Nothing is ever found apart from the inevitable tracking cookies.

I run XP Home SP3 and I have Firefox 3.6.3 and IE8 and I'd like it if you would clarify some points for me.

1. As I said earlier in this thread, you can't run this check using Firefox and you can't install the Mozilla/Firefox plugin either. The screen shots show what would have happened with a much earlier version of Firefox and the plugin is clearly incompatible with the current Firefox version.

'Edit Options' no longer appears if you try to install this plugin (or anything else), it just says 'Allow'. If you try to do that, you get an error -204 message.

2. When will this plugin be amended/updated so that it can easily be installed by Firefox users? Even MS give us the choice of what browser to use now, at least they do in Europe, so surely features that are apparently available in SAS should be accessible to all SAS users regardless of their preferred browser.

3. I've tried to get round this by loading the page using Coral IE Tab, but it still wanted me to install the Mozilla/Firefox plugin.

4. I closed Firefox, opened IE8 and tried again. The result was the same as in point 3 above.

5. Firefox is set as my default browser. The implication of the results I've received is that I should set IE as my default browser in order to be able to run this check without any difficulty. I'm not prepared to do this just to achieve this.

6. This isn't necessarily relevant, but I can run Microsoft/Windows Update in Firefox by using Coral IE Tab, so why not this check?

So, exactly what is the situation regarding how to run this test please?

5. Firefox is set as my default browser. The implication of the results I've received is that I should set IE as my default browser in order to be able to run this check without any difficulty. I'm not prepared to do this just to achieve this.

Since nobody else seems either willing or able to answer the points raised in my previous post, I'll answer the one I've quoted above. I set IE8 as my default browser temporarily and I was able to run the check, so it seems that is what you have to do to run the check.

Firefox has now been made my default browser again.

Since nobody else seems either willing or able to answer the points raised in my previous post, I'll answer the one I've quoted above. I set IE8 as my default browser temporarily and I was able to run the check, so it seems that is what you have to do to run the check.

Firefox has now been made my default browser again.

As our plugin does not support Firefox 3.5/3.6 yet, opening IE and simply going to www.fileresearchcenter.com and doing the "what's running" should work without issue - IE should not have to be your default browser.

As our plugin does not support Firefox 3.5/3.6 yet, opening IE and simply going to www.fileresearchcenter.com and doing the "what's running" should work without issue - IE should not have to be your default browser.

Thanks Nick. I've been having another go at this and I've decided that on my previous attempt when I thought the check was running, it didn't do so. I was too hasty in closing the page because I didn't have time to wait for the check to complete and it's possible that the page had frozen anyway. I think that possibly my settings in IE for ActiveX aren't allowing the check to run, but as I rarely use IE, it's never been problematic to me.

I'm not going to pursue this any further, I'll just wait for the Firefox plugin to be updated!