draccan

Buffer overrun problem (and laptop, no XP cd)

Hi

I ran Superantispyware on my wife's PC today. Just before running it I updated to the newest spyware definitions. After the check, which was negative, I rebooted. And now the laptop can not boot.

I have read several threads about it, incl. this one:

https://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/2570-buffer-overrun-detected-winlogonexe/

However the problem is that:

1. It is a laptop so no clue how to access the harddisk as a slave for example.

2. My wife only has a Toshiba recovery CD and no XP CD. The Toshiba CD only offers to format and start over. There are no (!) other options with the recovery CD.

3. My wife has 3 years of data that has never been backed up (yeah, I know!). So formatting and starting over is NOT an option!

Obviously I have tried to reboot, tried F8 and all the boot options there, I have turned off power and bla bla.

What can I do?? Please help!

Draccan

try this will boot the laptop up http://www.ubuntu.co...ubuntu/download do u get any message when trying to boot it bsod etc

When I boot the PC it begins to start Windows (same with safe mode). But then a grey dialogue box appears and tell me:

"buffer overrun detected! Program... winlogon.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program can not safely continue execution and must now be terminated."

Only choice is to click "ok" and then it reboots. Tried all F8 options!

So if I download and burn this ubuntu to a DVD then what do I do? Can I repair the windows files? Access the files somehow? What's the plan??

When I boot the PC it begins to start Windows (same with safe mode). But then a grey dialogue box appears and tell me:

"buffer overrun detected! Program... winlogon.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program can not safely continue execution and must now be terminated."

So if I download and burn this ubuntu to a DVD then what do I do? Can I repair the windows files? Access my files somehow? What's the plan??

u will be able to acess all files to back up etc i think u will need a windows xp cd to fix it but this cd will back up the files your local pc shop mabe able fix it but with out a cd i dont think thers much u can do

u will be able to acess all files to back up etc i think u will need a windows xp cd to fix it but this cd will back up the files your local pc shop mabe able fix it but with out a cd i dont think thers much u can do

So I have put Ubuntu on a DVD. But I am not sure exactly what to do now.

Should I:

1. Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer

2. Install Ubuntu

3. Check disc for defects

4. Test memory

5. Boot from first harddisk

?

Thanks

So I have put Ubuntu on a DVD. But I am not sure exactly what to do now.

Should I:

1. Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer

2. Install Ubuntu

3. Check disc for defects

4. Test memory

5. Boot from first harddisk

?

Thanks

I did option one. It didn't work at first. Ubuntu didn't load.

Then I read this link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

So I tried clicking F6 and choose "acpi=off" and that worked, Ubuntu started to load.

Once inside Ubuntu you have access to all files. I then followed advice from other threads on the web about this issue and found this file:

dll-file: "SASWINLO.dll"

rename file to "SASWINLO.dll.OLD"

Then I closed Ubuntu and restarted the PC. I had to power off. And VOILA, computer booted correctly.

Now the last thing to do is:

/uninstall superantispyware

Thanks for help in this thread!

Draccan

Unfortunately the Internet is not working after this whole exercise. The laptop can't find any wifi connections. So I assume Ubuntu (despite promising not to affect the PC) has changed some system file. OR the deletion of superantispyware let to some system file getting lost.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately the Internet is not working after this whole exercise. The laptop can't find any wifi connections. So I assume Ubuntu (despite promising not to affect the PC) has changed some system file. OR the deletion of superantispyware let to some system file getting lost.

Any suggestions?

Hi draccan.

Go into Device Manager, Open Network Adapters, then right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall. Once uninstalled, right click on any item and choose Scan For Hardware Changes. That process will reinstall the wi-fi adapter.

Also, you may have a wi-fi switch or Function key to turn on the wi-fi, so make sure it's on:)

Hi draccan.

Go into Device Manager, Open Network Adapters, then right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall. Once uninstalled, right click on any item and choose Scan For Hardware Changes. That process will reinstall the wi-fi adapter.

Also, you may have a wi-fi switch or Function key to turn on the wi-fi, so make sure it's on:)

Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I just tried again. And I direct to the correct driver after removing and re-finding the wireless adapter. However the internet is still marked with the yellow exclamation sign: "limited or no access to internet".

I also made sure the button on the laptop for wifi is turned on. Not sure what color it usually is but it is red.

Anything else I can try?

What was detected when you scanned? You indicated that it was "negative" which I assume means nothing? You may wish to have the drive removed and data backed up before doing anything further!

What was detected when you scanned? You indicated that it was "negative" which I assume means nothing? You may wish to have the drive removed and data backed up before doing anything further!

Hi

There was no virus / malware found. I have access to the laptop and have backed up all data (documents, favorites etc.). But can it really be so that there is no way to connect to the Internet, getting the network card to work. I find it an extreme measure that I need to reformat the laptop just because of that and generally because I was using SuperAntiSpyware.

Surely there must be a way to get the laptop back on the Internet?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi

There was no virus / malware found. I have access to the laptop and have backed up all data (documents, favorites etc.). But can it really be so that there is no way to connect to the Internet, getting the network card to work. I find it an extreme measure that I need to reformat the laptop just because of that and generally because I was using SuperAntiSpyware.

Surely there must be a way to get the laptop back on the Internet?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Does the wireless network card show as working correctly in Device Manager?

Are you able to connect to other wireless networks?

Have you soft reset the router by turning it off and on?

You might also want to try the SAS repair tool called "Repair broken Network Connection". The repair is in Preferences>Repairs.

Does the wireless network card show as working correctly in Device Manager?

Are you able to connect to other wireless networks?

Have you soft reset the router by turning it off and on?

You might also want to try the SAS repair tool called "Repair broken Network Connection". The repair is in Preferences>Repairs.

"Does the wireless network card show as working correctly in Device Manager?"

Nope it shows the yellow exclamation mark

"Are you able to connect to other wireless networks?"

Nope. List is empty.

"You might also want to try the SAS repair tool called "Repair broken Network Connection". The repair is in Preferences>Repairs."

I have uninstalled the SAS program.

"Does the wireless network card show as working correctly in Device Manager?"

Nope it shows the yellow exclamation mark

You need the driver for the wireless card. It can be obtained from Toshiba's website in the Support/Drivers section.

If you can't find it, post the model# of the Toshiba.

You need the driver for the wireless card. It can be obtained from Toshiba's website in the Support/Drivers section.

If you can't find it, post the model# of the Toshiba.

I did download the driver from:

http://nordic.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?LNG=19&service=ND&tab=1&highlightOption=123444&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=117168

Here is the info about the laptop:

Satellite M100-149

Part number : PSMA2E-00R00WED

* Intel® Celeron® M-processor 420

* Original Windows® XP Home Edition

* 60 GB harddisk

* 768 (256 + 512) MB DDR2 RAM (533 MHz)

* 14.1" Toshiba TruBrite WXGA TFT-skærm

* DVD Super-multidrev (Double Layer)

Unfortunately it didn't seem to work..

I directed to the right driver and yet it still doesn't work. Not even after a reboot.

I've found the following:

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=52678&tstart=-1

Your statements on that site contradict what you have you have stated here.

WTF

If you look at when it was posted it fits in the middle of this thread, so no there is absolutely no discrepancies here.

I ran SAS, then had ZERO access to the laptop!!!!

After getting reply in this thread, I managed to get access with Ubuntu.

Then I changed the name of the SAS dll file.

Remove SAS (and Bullguard by the way)

Then reboots laptop and have now no access to Internet.

Just like I explained on this thread.

I did not go into details about how SAS left me with NO access to the laptop because that problem was already solved when I posted at Toshiba..

Is this how you help people who tried using your program and then suffer an old and known issue with your program?

I already used a couple of days of VERY valuable time right now on trying to get her back online!!

WTF

If you look at when it was posted it fits in the middle of this thread, so no there is absolutely no discrepancies here.

I ran SAS, then had ZERO access to the laptop!!!!

After getting reply in this thread, I managed to get access with Ubuntu.

Then I changed the name of the SAS dll file.

Remove SAS (and Bullguard by the way)

Then reboots laptop and have now no access to Internet.

Just like I explained on this thread.

I did not go into details about how SAS left me with NO access to the laptop because that problem was already solved when I posted at Toshiba..

Is this how you help people who tried using your program and then suffer an old and known issue with your program?

I already used a couple of days of VERY valuable time right now on trying to get her back online!!

In the other thread you stated:

We de-installed a few programs (bullguard and superantispyware) and all of a sudden we couldn't access Internet after re-booting.

That's not what you stated in this thread.

Anyway, the bottom line is that you need the wireless card drivers. I checked on the Toshiba US site, and they have drivers for the M100, but not the M100-149. To further complicate things, the wireless driver listed for the M100 is only for Vista.

Is that a US laptop?

In the other thread you stated:

That's not what you stated in this thread.

Anyway, the bottom line is that you need the wireless card drivers. I checked on the Toshiba US site, and they have drivers for the M100, but not the M100-149. To further complicate things, the wireless driver listed for the M100 is only for Vista.

Is that a US laptop?

Obviously going to the Toshiba forum I wasn't going to expound on all the details about Superantispyware, using Ubuntu, changing the SAS dll file, so I wrote the short version over there lest they would just refer to you guys..

You have the whole story in this thread, as I told.

The laptop is from Europe, Danish version, bought in Denmark.

edit: it seems the Toshiba site indeed only offers Windows 7 drivers. How odd.

Obviously going to the Toshiba forum I wasn't going to expound on all the details about Superantispyware, using Ubuntu, changing the SAS dll file, so I wrote the short version over there lest they would just refer to you guys..

You have the whole story in this thread, as I told.

The laptop is from Europe, Danish version, bought in Denmark.

edit: it seems the Toshiba site indeed only offers Windows 7 drivers. How odd.

I downloaded the drivers that I was suggested at the Toshiba thread and installed them. These are genuine XP drivers.

The new is that I can see a list of wireless devices. However I am unable to connect to one. The one I usually use at home I have tried with three other devices (cell phone, this laptop, and a regular PC). So the wireless connection works.

But I still have the "limited or no connection" but at least the list of wireless devices is populated.

What to do?

I downloaded the drivers that I was suggested at the Toshiba thread and installed them. These are genuine XP drivers.

The new is that I can see a list of wireless devices. However I am unable to connect to one. The one I usually use at home I have tried with three other devices (cell phone, this laptop, and a regular PC). So the wireless connection works.

But I still have the "limited or no connection" but at least the list of wireless devices is populated.

Ok, that's good news.

I was a little confused by something you said in the above quote. That is, are you saying the laptop can connect wireless at another location?

If not, then try LSPfix (use the.exe from here)

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

If yes, are you using a separate router and modem, or is it a combo? The reason I ask will determine a suggestion to reset the devices.

Ok, that's good news.

I was a little confused by something you said in the above quote. That is, are you saying the laptop can connect wireless at another location?

If not, then try LSPfix (use the.exe from here)

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

If yes, are you using a separate router and modem, or is it a combo? The reason I ask will determine a suggestion to reset the devices.

Hi

Thanks. I can now populate the list of wireless connections, but I am unable to connect to ANYTHING. It still has the yellow exclamation mark of limited to no access when connecting to my home network.

We use a router only. It is a Linksys router.

Hi

Thanks. I can now populate the list of wireless connections, but I am unable to connect to ANYTHING. It still has the yellow exclamation mark of limited to no access when connecting to my home network.

We use a router only. It is a Linksys router.

Ok, so you have a combination router/modem right?

Try the LSPfix.exe. If that doesn't help, I'll give you instructions for a hard reset to the router.

Ok, so you have a combination router/modem right?

Try the LSPfix.exe. If that doesn't help, I'll give you instructions for a hard reset to the router.

Not sure about the combination thing. Router is:

Linksys DRAFT-N ROUT WRT150N

I just tried to run LSPfix.exe. It found some errors but I clicked next before writing them down and now they are gone. But after doing it, I strangely do not see the wireless connection icon (that before had the yellow exclamation mark) in the bottom right corner. It is gone. It is still in "network places" and still have the yellow exclamation mark.

Find it strange that I need to hard reset the router though.

HEY - GREAT!!

A reboot after LSPfix actually helped and it is now connected to the Internet!!

Thanks a lot for your time and help!

Great program (LSPfix) by the way! I have to remember that one..!