shek

question about scan option in the context menu

I have a question about the sas free(3.5.1016). the on-demand scan option doesn't show up in the context menu, until I run the sas. Is it the normal?

I have enabled this right-click option in the preferences. I even tried to repair the sas installation. Neither one helps. btw, my system is winxp pro sp2.

I have a question about the sas free(3.5.1016). the on-demand scan option doesn't show up in the context menu, until I run the sas. Is it the normal?

I have enabled this right-click option in the preferences. I even tried to repair the sas installation. Neither one helps. btw, my system is winxp pro sp2.

Yes, SUPERAntiSpyware must be running in the system tray for the right-click scanning to appear and work.

I hope the on-demand scan option could change to stay on the context menu so that when users click on it, sas would start to run and scan file/directory.

I hope the on-demand scan option could change to stay on the context menu so that when users click on it, sas would start to run and scan file/directory.

The 3.5 version is released. It is much more complicated and not effecient to have to completely load SUPERAntiSpyware to do the right-click scan, so it will likley stay the way it is now. SUPERAntiSpyware does not many resources sitting in the tray.

Is it currently the case that SAS 3.6.1 needs be in the tray (partially loaded) as with the previous ones for the context menu stuff to work?

I didn't even notice it had this capability until recently, and the entry does not show in the context menu at all, for either files or dirs, even though the entries are in the registry providing for that functionality. It is not normally part of my startup sequence.

The upgrade was had through the SAS i'face, rather than separate download/reinstall. Could there be a leftover dll conflict between the older version? Some other problem entirely? Just curous, since it works fine otherwise, and would be nice to take advantage of the extra functionality.

TIA

Is it currently the case that SAS 3.6.1 needs be in the tray (partially loaded) as with the previous ones for the context menu stuff to work?

I didn't even notice it had this capability until recently, and the entry does not show in the context menu at all, for either files or dirs, even though the entries are in the registry providing for that functionality. It is not normally part of my startup sequence.

The upgrade was had through the SAS i'face, rather than separate download/reinstall. Could there be a leftover dll conflict between the older version? Some other problem entirely? Just curous, since it works fine otherwise, and would be nice to take advantage of the extra functionality.

TIA

SUPERAntiSpyware must be running in the system tray to do the right-click scanning - do you have it running when you try and right-click scan?

Nick,

Why not have the on-demand right-click on Explorer when not running SAS, like other programs do?

Thanks

I have found that with Kaspersky and Ewido(AVG 7.5 ASW) when they are configured for ondemand use only then the rightclick context scan is disabled until the software is started.

I think SAS is doing the *norm* with reguards this :wink:

Nick,

Why not have the on-demand right-click on Explorer when not running SAS, like other programs do?

Thanks

I have found that with Kaspersky and Ewido(AVG 7.5 ASW) when they are configured for ondemand use only then the rightclick context scan is disabled until the software is started.

I don't know about KAV, but with ewido or the AVG AS appears on context menu while running or not...

avast!, NOD32, AntiVir and almost that have this feature...

Nick,

Thanks

I don't know about KAV, but with ewido or the AVG AS appears on context menu while running or not...

avast!, NOD32, AntiVir and almost that have this feature, and make more sense this way...

Nick,

Thanks

avast!, NOD32, AntiVir and almost that have this feature, and make more sense this way...

:oops: I stand corrected then.

But fwiw if your going to file check why not get 31 second opinions by uploading to VT service :wink:

http://www.virustotal.com/en/indexf.html

Nick,

Can you enable the context menu scan when SAS is not open?

Currently we don't - we may in the future, but I can't promise anything :)