BobLewiston

Update PopUp paranoia

Among other things, I've got Windows XP Pro, SUPERAntiSpyware 4.33.1000 (free edition) and PC Tools Firewall Plus Free 6.0.0.74.

At Windows launch, I've just started getting two PopUps. The first one says "SUPERAntiSpyware Update". Although it looks official, I've never seen this before (although for all I know, maybe this is how SUPERAntiSpyware handles updates for the software itself, rather than for the spyware definitions, which are updated manually by the user within SUPERAntiSpyware).

The second PopUp is from PC Tools Firewall Plus. It says: “Services and Controller app (C:\Windows\System32\Services.exe) is attempting to load driver aswRdr

(registry\Machine\System\Currentcontrolset\services\Answdr)”. Presumably this refers to the process referenced in the first PopUp.

Playing it safe, I right-clicked the title bar of the SUPERAntiSpyware PopUp, but no drop down menu appeared from which I could select Close. ALt-F4 did close the dialog box, however.

Before I allow this SUPERAntiSpyware PopUp to download its Update, can anyone confirm that this is a legitimate PopUp that is really from SUPERAntiSpyware? I’ve had problems with truly insidious malware in the past (including rootkits), and I don’t need any such problem again. Thank you.

You should upgrade to the latest SAS V4.35.1000. If you feel uncomfortable with the pop-up authenticity, go to the link below and download/install the latest free SAS. You can install it right over the top of the older version. BE SURE to close down SAS totally before over-installing. The installer will uninstall the older version and then install the new version.

SAS Free Download

The second PopUp is from PC Tools Firewall Plus. It says: “Services and Controller app (C:\Windows\System32\Services.exe) is attempting to load driver aswRdr

(registry\Machine\System\Currentcontrolset\services\Answdr)”. Presumably this refers to the process referenced in the first PopUp.

I'm not certain that the above PC Tools Firewall Plus pop-up is a result of the SAS pop-up. Service aswRdr is part of Avast.

What is aswRdr ?