SlackerLX

SUPERAntiSpyware vs Antivirus

No one has ever explained this, but what I can see that SUPERAntiSpyware does the same job as any major AV programme. Quote from site: "Remove Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits, Rogue Security Products and many other types of threats". My Avira does basically the same job. It kills malware. Do I need AV programme at all if I buy SUPERAntiSpyware Pro?

No one has ever explained this, but what I can see that SUPERAntiSpyware does the same job as any major AV programme. Quote from site: "Remove Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits, Rogue Security Products and many other types of threats". My Avira does basically the same job. It kills malware. Do I need AV programme at all if I buy SUPERAntiSpyware Pro?

Hi Slacker.

The short answer is yes.

Since no single antimalware application can catch all threats, a "layered" approach is most secure.

Hi Slacker.

The short answer is yes.

Since no single antimalware application can catch all threats, a "layered" approach is most secure.

Hmm, having the multiple antimalware programmes which perform the same functions seems like waste of resources... But thanks for the answer :)

Hmm, having the multiple antimalware programmes which perform the same functions seems like waste of resources... But thanks for the answer :)

Your antivirus program might not pick up a particular trojan and wouldn't it be better to have a backup that can? that is why it is important to have Superantispyware running along side your AV program

robin

Your antivirus program might not pick up a particular trojan and wouldn't it be better to have a backup that can? that is why it is important to have Superantispyware running along side your AV program

robin

So, how many antimalware programmes must reside in single box? 3, 4?

So, how many antimalware programmes must reside in single box? 3, 4?

With my customer's computers, I typically install Microsoft Security Essentials, SuperAntiSpyware Professional (paid for lifetime of the product), and the free version of MalwareBytes with instructions to update and run once a week.

The bottom line is you need more than one program to protect and/or scan/clean your system. It's just the reality. SUPERAntiSpyware is designed to be light on resources so you can run it with another product - while it may seem like a waste of resources, do you consider having more than one person to tackle the ball carrier in football a waste of resources? Meaning, no one can be everywhere at once, and each product catches different threats, so you need more than one team member to do the job!

The bottom line is you need more than one program to protect and/or scan/clean your system. It's just the reality. SUPERAntiSpyware is designed to be light on resources so you can run it with another product - while it may seem like a waste of resources, do you consider having more than one person to tackle the ball carrier in football a waste of resources? Meaning, no one can be everywhere at once, and each product catches different threats, so you need more than one team member to do the job!

Ah, you don't understand what I'm getting at...checking the ground, as it were...

What I had in mind was to give up large and expensive Avira and settle with light and inexpensive SAS. Having GesWall along with SAS should solve all the problems

Some good suggestions on which anti-virus program that I can run next to SUPERAntiSpyware? :?:

Is there really a pure anti-virus program anymore for Windows 7? All security programs have antispyware?

does SAS pro's realtime scanner work well with malwarebytes' realtime "protection" scanner?

i currently run bitdefender 2010 with the realtime scanner on. once the 64bit version of SAS pro is complete, i plan on running SAS Pro's realtime scanner as well. i use to run bitdefender and SAS Pro's realtime scanner simultaneously without a problem when i was on vista 32bit.

if i can, can i run bitdefender, SAS pro, and malwarebytes' realtime scanners all at the same time?

i remember back in the days that u could run two antivirus realtime scanners at the same time due to file locks and what not. having 2 would just slow the computer down to a crawl and make it unusable.

With my customer's computers, I typically install Microsoft Security Essentials, SuperAntiSpyware Professional (paid for lifetime of the product), and the free version of MalwareBytes with instructions to update and run once a week.

I find that on older XP computers MSE doesn't run nicely- it slows down the computers so i will put Avast Free on instead (I configure it since it is a bit difficult for the beginner user to configure and set up a custom scan to run) but the rest of your programs you suggest is exactly what i use for myself and all my clients. I also add spywareblaster to the mix.

robin

does SAS pro's realtime scanner work well with malwarebytes' realtime "protection" scanner?

i currently run bitdefender 2010 with the realtime scanner on. once the 64bit version of SAS pro is complete, i plan on running SAS Pro's realtime scanner as well. i use to run bitdefender and SAS Pro's realtime scanner simultaneously without a problem when i was on vista 32bit.

if i can, can i run bitdefender, SAS pro, and malwarebytes' realtime scanners all at the same time?

i remember back in the days that u could run two antivirus realtime scanners at the same time due to file locks and what not. having 2 would just slow the computer down to a crawl and make it unusable.

I find runnng SAS with Malwarebytes in real time slows down the computer, it is much better to have Superantispyware Pro in real time and malwarebytes as an on demand

robin

Some good suggestions on which anti-virus program that I can run next to SUPERAntiSpyware? :?:

Is there really a pure anti-virus program anymore for Windows 7? All security programs have antispyware?

For windows 7 your best bet is MSE (Microsoft security essentials). It runs great on windows 7 regardless of which version you run. It has both antispyware (Windows defender is incorporated in it so it will shut off WD as the stand alone program) and antivirus in it.

robin

Thanks robinb9.I`l try it. :rolleyes:

just make sure you uninstall the antivirus program you have on now prior to installing MSE

you CANNOT run two antivirus programs!

robin

I find that on older XP computers MSE doesn't run nicely- it slows down the computers so i will put Avast Free on instead (I configure it since it is a bit difficult for the beginner user to configure and set up a custom scan to run) but the rest of your programs you suggest is exactly what i use for myself and all my clients. I also add spywareblaster to the mix.

robin

I find the other is better MSE runs very quietly and very well on my 'older' XP SP3 - It has detected some minor infections and removed them without me even thinking it is there - The background running and scheduled scans are great - It is the best free A/V I have used for the years that I have been running this machine - That includes AVG Avira Avast, trial versions of Kaspersky and several others - At this time I am testing VIPRE free also, with my MSE still running - Only Dr Web Cure It was the other program (but no real time) - It is first on my list of free A/V programs if ever asked -

Thank You -

EDIT -

Several people (from MBAM forum) use both and if set to run scans at times that do not match have no real problems -

Not sure with the new 1.45 version of Malwarebytes -