Sign in to follow this  
Repairman88

Slow loading program and very slow updating

Hi, I'm new to the forum but been using the excellent free version of SAS for some time.

I update and do weekly scans.

However I have noticed that it takes longer and longer to actually load the program, up to 2 minutes, and even longer to retrieve updates.

When I eventually get the main program to load and click on the updates link it can take a minute or more to reach it; then it downloads definitions (shown with the green progress bar), then shows the 'Downloading please wait' box which stays there for 2 minutes approximately and then downloads again (showing the green progress bar again). Then the upgrade offer box appears which you close.

It's a great program and usually finds a few tracking cookies other scans miss but this drives me to distraction. :angry:

I tried it on another slower spare machine and the same happens. Is this normal or have I got an installation problem or something else. It appears to have a built in delay timer; and I was wondering if this is to encourage you to buy the paid for version which may be quicker to load and update?

Main machine is 3GHz XP-pro; spare machine 1.3GHz XP-home.

Many thanks in advance for any help given. :-D

Mike.

It appears to have a built in delay timer; and I was wondering if this is to encourage you to buy the paid for version which may be quicker to load and update?

Hi Mike.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no inherent speed difference when updating SAS Pro or SAS Free. I say such given that I've installed both hundreds of times and haven't experienced any difference. For example, after reading your post, I updated SAS Free on one of my systems that I hadn't updated in a couple of weeks. It only took about 30 seconds.

1) Please confirm the version of SAS you're running.

2) Do the two computers have similar antimalware apps other than SAS?

Anything else that might provide a clue?

Hi Mike.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no inherent speed difference when updating SAS Pro or SAS Free. I say such given that I've installed both hundreds of times and haven't experienced any difference. For example, after reading your post, I updated SAS Free on one of my systems that I hadn't updated in a couple of weeks. It only took about 30 seconds.

2) Do the two computers have similar antimalware apps other than SAS?

Anything else that might provide a clue?

Hi Seth; I was wondering if it was another security program that was causing this.

Both machines have the same security...

Comodo Firewall, Avast (free version) for AV, Spywareblaster (free version), Spybot less Teatimer (free version), Malwarebytes (free version) and SAS (free version) for weekly scans.

SAS version is 4.23.1006, Core 4648, Trace 2460.

Just launched SAS which took 90 seconds to load!

Thanks for your help,

Mike.

Thanks Siliconman; SAS loads and updates quickly now. I have version 4.34.1000 now. :-)

Mike.

You are most welcome.

If you right click on the SAS brown bug in the Notification/System Tray and select "Check for Updates", it should tell you when a new version of SAS is available for download. The notification is in the blue and white message box that SAS displays. That way you will remain current when new releases are issued.

I knew I was on to something :)

Hi -

I just deleted my earlier version from Add/Remove and updated to the latest version - Now my defrag pauses for a long time at 3% (moving file) and lists SAS as the file - Any ideas - Version 4.34.1000 -

Hi -

I just deleted my earlier version from Add/Remove and updated to the latest version - Now my defrag pauses for a long time at 3% (moving file) and lists SAS as the file - Any ideas - Version 4.34.1000 -

Try running the defrag from Safe Mode.

If that doesn't work, you might need to run a chkdsk first, or use the SAS Uninstaller assistant to completely remove SAS, then reinstall.

But let's first see how things work out from Safe Mode.