Sign in to follow this  
Robin S

Scan zip files

SAS is excellent, and has got me out of trouble often enough, but it would be even better if it found malware lurking in zip files. I appreciate this would slow down the scan, but (as with Spyware Doctor) you could choose in Setup whether ot not to scan zips, ignore zips over 1MB, 5MB etc.

SAS is excellent, and has got me out of trouble often enough, but it would be even better if it found malware lurking in zip files. I appreciate this would slow down the scan, but (as with Spyware Doctor) you could choose in Setup whether ot not to scan zips, ignore zips over 1MB, 5MB etc.

In the wild, we do not really see malware "hiding" in zip files. We may add that feature in the future just so people can pre-scan zip files.

At best, I would like to see it unzip and scan ZIP/RAR files during a Complete Scan.

At a minimum, I would like to see it as part of right-click scanning. If a right click scan of a ZIP/RAR file is selected, unzip and scan each element.

In the wild, we do not really see malware "hiding" in zip files. We may add that feature in the future just so people can pre-scan zip files.

I just submitted a .zip file to SAS that I received via an email attachment. The small .zip file contains a malicious .exe file. Now I know that SAS does not scan emails. However, if an unsuspecting user saves off the attachment and then unzips it and runs it....bingo, infected.

That feature is on our list, and yes, we do see the zipped "agreement.zip" , etc. files in spam e-mails, so those are showing up more these days.