Sign in to follow this  
full-stop

98SE Definitions Update - Quick Question

Hi guys, first time poster with a quick question please.

When executing a manual definitions update by way of downloading SASDEFINITIONS.EXE, which files exactly are updated on 98SE.

Are all three files [PROCESSLIST.DB, PROCESSLISTRELATED.DB & PROCESSLIST.BIN] at this location ALL updated

C:\Windows\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware

I note however that:

C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware

also contains these 2 files [PROCESSLIST.DB & PROCESSLISTRELATED.DB] but these do not appear to be touched by the updated definitions.

Is that correct? ie are the ones in the Application Data folder updated and the ones in the Program Files folder left untouched.

Many thanks for any info provided

Cheers

Hi guys, first time poster with a quick question please.

When executing a manual definitions update by way of downloading SASDEFINITIONS.EXE, which files exactly are updated on 98SE.

Are all three files [PROCESSLIST.DB, PROCESSLISTRELATED.DB & PROCESSLIST.BIN] at this location ALL updated

C:\Windows\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware

I note however that:

C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware

also contains these 2 files [PROCESSLIST.DB & PROCESSLISTRELATED.DB] but these do not appear to be touched by the updated definitions.

Is that correct? ie are the ones in the Application Data folder updated and the ones in the Program Files folder left untouched.

Many thanks for any info provided

Cheers

Yes that is correct, I use 98SE and mine show a date of 29/12/2008. I have always assumed those were part of the database that came with v.4.24.1004.

Yes that is correct, I use 98SE and mine show a date of 29/12/2008. I have always assumed those were part of the database that came with v.4.24.1004.

Many thanks. I am still on v4.21.1004, although I have read that v4.24.1004 is the last one that works on 98SE. Perhaps I may give that version a try as the loading of the definitions is becoming slower and slower on the less than cutting edge system which is running 98SE.

If you have a seccy may I ask one final question. Is there a way to extract the three relevant files from SASDEFINITIONS.EXE in order to manually place them in the Windows\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware folder. I tried using winzip which sometimes allows viewing into .exe files but did not work in this case.

Cheers

Many thanks. I am still on v4.21.1004, although I have read that v4.24.1004 is the last one that works on 98SE. Perhaps I may give that version a try as the loading of the definitions is becoming slower and slower on the less than cutting edge system which is running 98SE.

If you have a seccy may I ask one final question. Is there a way to extract the three relevant files from SASDEFINITIONS.EXE in order to manually place them in the Windows\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware folder. I tried using winzip which sometimes allows viewing into .exe files but did not work in this case.

Cheers

I don't think changing version to v.4.24.1004 will speed things up as the larger the definition base becomes the slower the opening of the program becomes, mine is just the same.

Neither 7zip nor WinZip will open the .exe file but Universal Extractor will. Version 1.5 runs on 98SE and you can pick it up from filehippo.com.

I have tried that on a previous occasion but it is not any quicker by the time you download the .exe file, then extract the necessary files and right click and move them to replace the older file one by one and then you have to open the program to install the new files and it really bogs it down opening it up the first time after moving the files. I found it easier and quicker to update from within the program GUI. But by all means give it a go.

I don't think changing version to v.4.24.1004 will speed things up as the larger the definition base becomes the slower the opening of the program becomes, mine is just the same.

Neither 7zip nor WinZip will open the .exe file but Universal Extractor will. Version 1.5 runs on 98SE and you can pick it up from filehippo.com.

I have tried that on a previous occasion but it is not any quicker by the time you download the .exe file, then extract the necessary files and right click and move them to replace the older file one by one and then you have to open the program to install the new files and it really bogs it down opening it up the first time after moving the files. I found it easier and quicker to update from within the program GUI. But by all means give it a go.

Star.

lightning slinger truly a final question please.

Could you check in Windows\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware folder

There should be 4 folders [AppLogs, Logs, Quarantine, Sddlls] & 4 files, 3 of which are the definition update files [ie 2x .DB and the .BIN].

Now there should be one other file in that folder what is yours called [exclude.stg or custom.stg]

Reason I ask is that in one 98SE system I have exclude.stg and in another 98SE system I have custom.stg.

Tried searching for this in this forum and on net with zippo results.

Many thanks

There should be 4 folders [AppLogs, Logs, Quarantine, Sddlls] & 4 files, 3 of which are the definition update files [ie 2x .DB and the .BIN].

Now there should be one other file in that folder what is yours called [exclude.stg or custom.stg]

Reason I ask is that in one 98SE system I have exclude.stg and in another 98SE system I have custom.stg.

I don't have either of those in either of my 98SE boxes but they are formed when you enter items into "Allow/Trusted Items" and "Exclude Folders" boxes under the Scanning Control Tab.

At some point you have "whitelisted" a flagged item to get an entry in to custom.stg and excluded a folder from being scanned to get an entry in to exclude.stg.

HTH

I don't have either of those in either of my 98SE boxes but they are formed when you enter items into "Allow/Trusted Items" and "Exclude Folders" boxes under the Scanning Control Tab.

At some point you have "whitelisted" a flagged item to get an entry in to custom.stg and excluded a folder from being scanned to get an entry in to exclude.stg.

HTH

Mega Star.

On the pc [with the Custom.stg folder] both the "Allow/Trusted Items" and "Exclude Folders" entries are blank. However, I think that during some scans when the result is just cookies and Temp internet files in IE, I just ignore them so perhaps the custom file was created from that.

The exclude.stg, I will figure out later when I boot the other system.

No big deal I will just delete the files (well save then) and monitor any ill effects.

Cheers

PS. The exclude.stg is seemingly created simply by innocently clicking on the "Exclude Folders" tab ie click on the Exclude Folders tab, box open [contents blank]-> click close and watch the exclude.stg file appear in the Applications folder.