Sign in to follow this  
mccoady

SAS Pro won't remember settings

I've had SAS Pro installed on several of my families computers for a couple of years now with little trouble except when I installed it on my mom's computer last Sept or so. It installs fine and goes through the setup process automatically checking to do auto updates and I set any preferences I want including scheduled scans. Okay everything is fine until my mom reboots her computer but then SAS Pro somehow forgets all it's settings after a reboot it goes through the setup process again every single time.

If you open up SAS Pro you have to check automatic updates again plus any other preferences like setting up scheduled scans it just will not remember any settings, so this is very confusing to my mom when it asks setup questions each time she reboots. This has been going on for several months but since I don't live near her I tend to forget she is having problems.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled SAS Pro several times but always with the same results I've used Windows to uninstall and also Revo Uninstaller. Since I installed SAS Pro many times before I'm very familiar with how it works and I've never had this issue with any other install.

Since this is very frustrating any ideas before I say the heck with SAS Pro on her computer even though she's already paid for lifetime updates?

I've had SAS Pro installed on several of my families computers for a couple of years now with little trouble except when I installed it on my mom's computer last Sept or so. It installs fine and goes through the setup process automatically checking to do auto updates and I set any preferences I want including scheduled scans. Okay everything is fine until my mom reboots her computer but then SAS Pro somehow forgets all it's settings after a reboot it goes through the setup process again every single time.

If you open up SAS Pro you have to check automatic updates again plus any other preferences like setting up scheduled scans it just will not remember any settings, so this is very confusing to my mom when it asks setup questions each time she reboots. This has been going on for several months but since I don't live near her I tend to forget she is having problems.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled SAS Pro several times but always with the same results I've used Windows to uninstall and also Revo Uninstaller. Since I installed SAS Pro many times before I'm very familiar with how it works and I've never had this issue with any other install.

Since this is very frustrating any ideas before I say the heck with SAS Pro on her computer even though she's already paid for lifetime updates?

Hi.

What operating system and is it 32 or 64 bit?

Close SAS from the tray, then navigate to SAS from the program folder. Open the sub menu and right click on "Superantispyware Professional". Choose "run as administrator" and you should be good to go.

She's running 32 bit XP. I right-clicked on "SuperAntispyware Professional" and "Run As" this brings up "Current User" which is my mom and is checked. The other thing checked is "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity."

Now in "User Accounts" my mom is listed as an administrator so it seems SuperAntiSpyware is already running under an Administator account. What do I do now?

She's running 32 bit XP. I right-clicked on "SuperAntispyware Professional" and "Run As" this brings up "Current User" which is my mom and is checked. The other thing checked is "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity."

Now in "User Accounts" my mom is listed as an administrator so it seems SuperAntiSpyware is already running under an Administator account. What do I do now?

My mistake. My suggestion was for Vista.

Another program is blocking SAS from saving the reg entries. What other security products are on the computer? Spybot?

Besides SuperAntiSpyware I installed Avast (free version)and Windows Defender (not running real-time) on her computer (also she is using Windows Firewall). Seth I have Avast, SuperAntiSpyware and Windows Defender (not running real-time) on four of my computers without an hint of a conflict with various OS (XP Pro, Vista Home and Windows 7 Home) so it's hard to believe the conflict would be with any of these programs.

Any other ideas?

Besides SuperAntiSpyware I installed Avast (free version)and Windows Defender (not running real-time) on her computer (also she is using Windows Firewall). Seth I have Avast, SuperAntiSpyware and Windows Defender (not running real-time) on four of my computers without an hint of a conflict with various OS (XP Pro, Vista Home and Windows 7 Home) so it's hard to believe the conflict would be with any of these programs.

Any other ideas?

Yes it's hard to believe, but the bottom line is that something is preventing SAS from saving the settings. It may be another program, an infection, or corruption in XP.

You can try saving the settings from Safe Mode, but I doubt that will be a permanent solution.

It's hard to determine the issue without physically examining the computer, but at this point, I suspect the issue is due to an infection.

I would run the following:

1) ComboFix

2) ESET online scan

3) MalwareBytes

Since I don't live close to her I kind of hate to run comboFix remotely via LogMeIn but I suppose I could run the other two, I'd really be surprised though if it was malware she's always had good protection with Avast (real-time protection with manual scans), SuperAntiSpyware (even though having to do manual scans) and Malwarebytes (manual scans). I could see it being another program not apparent to me or registry items not removed after a program uninstall.

I can't remember all the programs I've installed on her computer throughout the years but the ones I do remember are PC-cillin, Zone Alarm, Spy Sweeper, and possibly Spybot but not sure. When I removed them I either used their removal tools or did a search in the registry plus used registry cleaners/repair like CCleaner and Glary Registry Repair.

This is kind of frustrating to me because this is the first time I've had a problem installing SuperAntispyware and whatever is causing the problem doesn't effect her other programs such as Avast to remember settings.

Since I don't live close to her I kind of hate to run comboFix remotely via LogMeIn but I suppose I could run the other two, I'd really be surprised though if it was malware she's always had good protection with Avast (real-time protection with manual scans), SuperAntiSpyware (even though having to do manual scans) and Malwarebytes (manual scans). I could see it being another program not apparent to me or registry items not removed after a program uninstall.

I can't remember all the programs I've installed on her computer throughout the years but the ones I do remember are PC-cillin, Zone Alarm, Spy Sweeper, and possibly Spybot but not sure. When I removed them I either used their removal tools or did a search in the registry plus used registry cleaners/repair like CCleaner and Glary Registry Repair.

This is kind of frustrating to me because this is the first time I've had a problem installing SuperAntispyware and whatever is causing the problem doesn't effect her other programs such as Avast to remember settings.

I understand the frustration, as I go through similar computer situations on a daily basis. However, the problem is with the computer, and not SAS.

At this point I suggest sending a support ticket along with a link to this thread.