Sign in to follow this  
SlyCooperFan1

SAS hangs at C:\Windows\_default.pif

I'm running the trial version of SuperAntiSpyware Professional after hearing good things about it. I used the free version on a desktop that the rest of my family uses and it found at least a hundred traces of spyware that Spybot - Search and Destroy failed to recognize. Anyway, the reason I'm here is because my laptop seems to be the one that has a problem with the full scan. The scan would hang on the same file C:\Windows\_default.pif. I have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and avast! at the same time. Neither has the problem. I used to have ZoneAlarm Firewall too, but when I searched on Google, ZA seemed to have the _default.pif issue connected to it. Uninstalled ZoneAlarm, same thing still happens. I can't even cancel the scan - I have to use Task Manager.

I really don't want to go back to Spybot after seeing this thing work well on my desktop. Help please?

I'm running the trial version of SuperAntiSpyware Professional after hearing good things about it. I used the free version on a desktop that the rest of my family uses and it found at least a hundred traces of spyware that Spybot - Search and Destroy failed to recognize. Anyway, the reason I'm here is because my laptop seems to be the one that has a problem with the full scan. The scan would hang on the same file C:\Windows\_default.pif. I have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and avast! at the same time. Neither has the problem. I used to have ZoneAlarm Firewall too, but when I searched on Google, ZA seemed to have the _default.pif issue connected to it. Uninstalled ZoneAlarm, same thing still happens. I can't even cancel the scan - I have to use Task Manager.

I really don't want to go back to Spybot after seeing this thing work well on my desktop. Help please?

try scaning in safe mode and uninstall any other antivirus programs

try scaning in safe mode and uninstall any other antivirus programs

Well, I'm not uninstalling the antivirus. xD

I went into Safe Mode and did the scan, but same result, C:\Windows\_default.pif stopped the scan.

Well, I'm not uninstall the antivirus. xD

I went into Safe Mode and did the scan, but same result, C:\Windows\_default.pif stopped the scan.

ok i think default pif is at the end of the windows folder as long as its the last file it dusent relly need scaning

Sly,

Right click on the bug icon and select Control Center>Scanning Control>

Please uncheck these options:

Use Kernel Direct File Access

Use Kernel Direct Registry Access

Use Direct Disk Access

Run a Complete Scan again and see if it will finish.

Sly,

Right click on the bug icon and select Control Center>Scanning Control>

Please uncheck these options:

Use Kernel Direct File Access

Use Kernel Direct Registry Access

Use Direct Disk Access

Run a Complete Scan again and see if it will finish.

Fortunately, the scan got past C:\Windows\_default.pif. Unfortunately, the scan NOW gets stuck on C:\Windows\äõv. I have the strangest feeling that the scan always gets stuck on the C:\Windows folder, not including subfolders...

Interesting...for a kick I uninstalled Pro Trial and installed Free. I set a custom scan for the registry, memory, and C:\Windows\. The scan completed with no issues; apparently the Pro Trial version had a problem.

I've done all of the above and SAS still hangs on C:/windows/-default.pif

I removed (temporarily) the file and re-scanned. It then hung up on (all in the C:/windows folder) xpsp1hfm.log, wmsyspr9.prx, wlxpgss.scr, and zapotec.scr (a desktop wallpaper file, for Pete's sake) sequentially. I could complete the scan and delete the "offenders" only after moving all these to a remote drive.

What gives ?

I've done all of the above and SAS still hangs on C:/windows/-default.pif

I removed (temporarily) the file and re-scanned. It then hung up on (all in the C:/windows folder) xpsp1hfm.log, wmsyspr9.prx, wlxpgss.scr, and zapotec.scr (a desktop wallpaper file, for Pete's sake) sequentially. I could complete the scan and delete the "offenders" only after moving all these to a remote drive.

What gives ?

Hi.

Try running a chkdsk /r on the drive.